• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 vs D1se

Cisco150

none so far, I am waiting for some discount and I will decide, but yeah same as you I am between Do200, d1se and maybe gustard x18,
board for the Gustard x18 looks really solid and it measures almost the same as de D90se, but I am a bit afraid that sound ultra-clean, clinical sound,
according to some reviewers, D200 and D1se are a bit warmer
I have a $30 bucks off code for hifi express for the smsl d1se if you like let me know

Roland68

Major Contributor
The r2r DAC would be cool but no doubt too expensive anyway. What about D10 balanced if it was for a PC setup
none so far, I am waiting for some discount and I will decide, but yeah same as you I am between Do200, d1se and maybe gustard x18,
board for the Gustard x18 looks really solid and it measures almost the same as de D90se, but I am a bit afraid that sound ultra-clean, clinical sound,
The Denafrips ARES II is also not much more expensive than the X18...

kiyu

The Denafrips ARES II is also not much more expensive than the X18...
I would love the ARES 2, the only concern about it, is that they have SOOO many capacitors, transistors and other too many possible fails on it, and I live in Argentina, send any product back, is real pain or almost impossible.

1644598051750.png

that red circle part is the one I am most worry, because on old computer motherboard those fails quite often.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I would love the ARES 2, the only concern about it, is that they have SOOO many capacitors, transistors and other too many possible fails on it, and I live in Argentina, send any product back, is real pain or almost impossible.

View attachment 185914
that red circle part is the one I am most worry, because on old computer motherboard those fails quite often.
You have absolutely unerringly chosen the block that will outlive every other DAC...;)
What you mean are the capacitors in the switching power supplies or switching regulators in computers. They were loaded with 10 KHz - 120 KHz at temperatures of 70 - 90°. If the KZM capacitors from the Ares had been installed, they would have lived in the computers at least 10 times as long!
And as smoothing at 60Hz (not KHz) from a transformer, so many connected in parallel, the KZM are loaded at less than 5% of their potential.
At full load, 24 hours, 7 days a week, at 105°, they would live about 5 years, more or less.
But with this small load, the lifespan is more than 10 times longer, they are more likely to die of old age o_O

Bud Spencer

I have a $30 bucks off code for hifi express for the smsl d1se if you like let me know
Hi, I've been searching dac also And seen you around almost in every site of inrernet looking for ansvers Also in Goldensound Discord ;) and in several youtube videos comment section, Head fi. You really searched

I think that I'll end up with D1se also.

Id be happy to get discount coupon if you still got it ?

-Bud

Cisco150

Hi, I've been searching dac also And seen you around almost in every site of inrernet looking for ansvers Also in Goldensound Discord ;) and in several youtube videos comment section, Head fi. You really searched

-Bud
Sure i can dm to you

alpha_logic

Don't rely on a DAC as a tone control, or an equalizer - go for the DAC that offers the best performance, measurements and features for your budget. If you have problems with excessive treble, look to the rest of your signal chain as the more likely culprit : )

Cisco150

-Bud
Did you order it yet

Bud Spencer

I got the D1SE does have more bass and mids im just getting it broken in was reading it will balance out after a day or so. Did you get yours yet?
Nice to hear that.
I've read the same that it's a different sounding after a few days.
My unit is coming from China to Finland and aftern 13 days it just arrived to germany.

I managed to swap my Sennheiser 660s to LCD-C2 last friday and been listening those through buzzing computer motherboard 3,5mm connection to A90

Cisco150

Nice to hear that.
My unit is coming from China to Finland and aftern 13 days it just arrived to germany.

I managed to swap my Sennheiser 660s to LCD-C2 last friday and been listening those through buzzing computer motherboard 3,5mm connection to A90
Yea I had the same 3.5mm to rca and the noise was crazy. I think my sp200 is defective as when I hook up the xlr rear and use the 6.3mm front out the right channel is lower volume then the left but if I use rca from Dac no problem. I swapping left to right xlr inputs and to problem stays on right channel.

Cisco150

Nice to hear that.

How you making out. You set up your D1Se

Bud Spencer

Hi, I've had it few days now.

I can confirm what I'saw in some review. I'ts harsh sounding out of the box. I've been burning in this for two days and it's different, Smoother now.
Music sounds more layered and the soundstage really is bigger than old M500.
It's really good one. I've been thinking that this gear must sound better. A90, Focal clear, LCD-2C. This dac is absolutely big step to the right way.
This brought the goosepumps back to music.

I A/B:d this with my old Fiio E17. Plugged that into rca input of A90 se I could change source in a blink of an eye.
That's an non thrilling dac, no nyances of the music are there, Warm sounding. sound is inside your head.

The "DAC:s don't sound different" guys can change their hobby IMO :)

Cisco150

I can confirm what I'saw in some review. I'ts harsh sounding out of the box. I've been burning in this for two days and it's different, Smoother now.
It's really good one. I've been thinking that this gear must sound better. A90, Focal clear, LCD-2C. This dac is absolutely big step to the right way.

I A/B:d this with my old Fiio E17. Plugged that into rca input of A90 se I could change source in a blink of an eye.
That's an non thrilling dac, no nyances of the music are there, Warm sounding. sound is inside your head.

The "DAC:s don't sound different" guys can change their hobby IMO :)
So you enjoying the Dac. I'm too just need a new amp as my SP200 XLR is defective. looking at the Singxer-SA-1 or the JOTUNHEIM 2 or the Topping A30PRO

Mr.XO

The "DAC:s don't sound different" guys can change their hobby IMO :)Wow! And i thought i was alone.. I can confirm this with the D1SE, as much as hate to disclose the experience.

Wow! I thought i was alone on this experience..

So I first got a D90SE which was just great out of the box, nothing analytical about it to my ears, it actually sounds rather sweet especially the top end, and vocals are nice and open as it should be / untampered, but after the first couple days of our honeymoon i started realizing the soundstage was rather flat or doesn’t have the depth i’m used to.

And, so i got the D1SE, out of the box i must have played it for about an hour or so before i swapped the D90SE back in due to how harsh it was.

Now instead of boxing it up and returning i decided to run it in another system with just a streamer and the amp etc off, and 50 or so hours later the D1SE is a different DAC altogether, its got better, no more of the initial harshness, soundstage is deeper and the layering is also better than the D90SE, but the latter still has a much open midrange / vocals.. former in comparison even when level matched, the vocals which initially sounded congested now comes across as recessed, very obvious when A/B’ing.

Anyways, this is been a new experience for me.. the system is a Yamaha a-s2200 + KLH Model 5s.

Top Bottom