• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 remote problems

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just added the SMSL SU-9 to my collection of DACs that includes RME and Topping. Although the SMSL SU-9 sounds wonderful and is working fine; I cannot get the remote to work. I know about the "Press C" thing, but even after pressing C, and with the unit not in direct sunlight, I cannot get the remote to work. I have verified that the batteries are good. I just purchased from Apos Audio, so I have a message in to them; but was hoping perhaps someone within ASR would have an idea. Thanks in advance.

possumtaters

Is it line e of sight and not behind a door or glass?
Is it placed close to a plasma TV?
Is it possible you darkened the display?

OP
A

AudioStudies

Is it line e of sight and not behind a door or glass?
Is it placed close to a plasma TV?
Is it possible you darkened the display?
Line of sight, no glass. No plasma TV, a 4k that I think is LED. Display lights up when unit is plugged in, with no action from remote, so display not darkened. I haven't figured out a way to turn the unit off without disconnecting the power cord (or turning off my surge protector) - because none of the buttons (including power) work on the remote.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just added the SMSL SU-9 to my collection of DACs that includes RME and Topping. Although the SMSL SU-9 sounds wonderful and is working fine; I cannot get the remote to work. I know about the "Press C" thing, but even after pressing C, and with the unit not in direct sunlight, I cannot get the remote to work. I have verified that the batteries are good. I just purchased from Apos Audio, so I have a message in to them; but was hoping perhaps someone within ASR would have an idea. Thanks in advance.
Stupid question but it's not got one of those plastic tabs you need to remove to make the contacts, to stop battery wear in transit /storage?

OP
A

AudioStudies

I got it to power off, but not from the remote. Pushing inwards on the one knob shuts it off from the unit.

OP
A

AudioStudies

Stupid question but it's not got one of those plastic tabs you need to remove to make the contacts, to stop battery wear in transit /storage?
Not a stupid question at all -- I thought of that earlier and checked both the unit and the remote for any signs of plastic that may be blocking, but neither appeared to have any plastic. -- whoops, I re-read your post, you are talking about inside the battery compartment. I didn't see anything in there when I put in the batteries, but I will go check again and report back.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know if your IR emitter is working or not?
One (smart) way to know is to put your smartphone in photo mode in front and see if your IR's led is blinking when pushing a button like volume or else...

Last edited:
OP
A

AudioStudies

Nothing unusual in the battery compartment. Nothing is blocking the bare metal that the batteries need to touch and the batteries are in the correct orientation.

OP
A

AudioStudies

Bizarre, some of the earlier answers vanished . . .

mycose

@AudioStudies this is completely unrelated to your post, but would you mind sharing the firmware version(s) of your unit (Settings->Version)?

Thank you.

Jim_Bob

Edit: Realized after posting this the last time OP was here, hope it's been corrected by now for you.
For others like me doing google searches this issue this is for you lol

I had this issue as well, when the DAC was first setup the remote worked perfectly then all the sudden it didn't. Tried different batteries and it didn't seem to be working.
Thanks to @Harmonie for the life hack tried to see if the IR was working still on the remote and was able to see the pulsating red light on the remote with my phone's camera.

TLDR--Started pressing all the buttons individually (A, B, C, mute, power, etc.) on the remote and ended the sequence by pressing C like 3 times turned the DAC off with the knob then tried to power on with the remote and it actually worked. Remote seems to be working for now.

Idk if there is a bug but on the same Firmware as @AudioStudies there is no other Firmware listed on SMSL's site so not sure if there is even another version.

Hope that this "fix" works for you as it did for me but love the DAC so far, only other issue is that when my PC goes to sleep for a few hours the DAC seems to loose it's signal/handshake and have to power cycle it to get Windows to see it again.

Good luck

Last edited:

Martek

You need to long press the C button on the remote first, this should work, have unit turned off, long press the C button on the remote and turn it on via the remote, should work!

Martek

long press the C button for about five seconds, see attached image, C button is the control switch

Attachments

• C KEY.png
    C KEY.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 359

Martek

hi
I just got my SU9, I have both problems. Did you by any chance find how to solve the Bluetooth problem? will try the remote solution later.
see my reply to the other user, to get the remote working, you first need to longpress the C button on the remote, press it in for about five seconds. the C button is the remote controllers switch, have the unit turned off, and carry out as advised, then switch the unit on using the remote..

G-rig

hi
I just got my SU9, I have both problems. Did you by any chance find how to solve the Bluetooth problem? will try the remote solution later.
Chifi at its best. The manual and website says you have to reset the remote the first time. Beyond me why it wouldn't just work like any other appliance in the last 20y

Top Bottom