• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 PRO The New King for $499?

ABall

Forum Donor
Just a heads up, available now.
sml su9 pro.jpg

Oh I just noticed they pushed the voltage over 5v so it cant be compared, still looks nice for the money I think, so many DACs to choose from.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
This looks solid. I am about as happy with my SU 9 as anything I've ever purchased. I use it for a pre-amp as well as source switcher and it pairs nicely with the balanced AO200. One standout for the SU 9 series is the excellent Bluetooth support - I find overall this DAC is a great value for the money.

OP
ABall

ABall

Forum Donor
With all these DACs lacking features like dsp etc the attractive side is a nice display, my last dac was great but I couldn't read the display from my seat, aprox 3mtrs, this one looks a lot better but I dont know....

okok

12k still got problems, like the first batch of su10, same problem (su10 was fixed with new FW)

they need to fix that

1665857424-12K.jpg

okok

same problem as the su10, and they fixed the su10 with firmware, before and after

1662567235-12K.jpg
1663337040-12K-Fixed.jpg

D

Deleted member 4708

Why is it called "Pro"? It has 2 channels, no routing, no DSP, nothing pro about it. Yes it squeezes 1 db more in SINAD with no audible differences. YAWN! And let's not talk about support nor quality...

Last edited by a moderator:

zajogungster

hi everyone, I've been the owner of the SU9pro for 2 weeks now and it works like clockwork! before that I had an M300 MK2, it was great, but this one is better in every way, livelier, more explosive and at the same time more detailed, especially the space has improved, the speakers have disappeared from sight! I highly recommend. good job SMSL! in the picture you can see new aluminum noses, the main reason was cooling, because after a whole day of playing it was quite hot! now it's optimal. another thing, the 3 rubber feet were not stable when serious cables were connected. Now it stands firm, literally.

Attachments

• PXL_20221130_205539590.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20221130_205539590.NIGHT.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 819

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The "pro" part is because it uses the new ES9039MPRO.

HOWEVER, it supports the monstrous mqa (yes, the worst thing ever posible) right on IC.

So, I'll stay light-years away from anything like that. I do boycott anything mqa (aka SCAM) on it.

If you love real quality (and high quality) audio, you should do it too.

Attachments

• 00.png
    00.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 456

zajogungster

HOWEVER, it supports the monstrous mqa (yes, the worst thing ever posible) right on IC.

So, I'll stay light-years away from anything like that. I do boycott anything mqa (aka SCAM) on it.

I know a lot about it, but I don't believe you can hear the difference between PCM MQA !!! And nobody has to use MQA if they don't want to. And that it's on one chip?!
For me, the first thing is the sound quality, and this DAC has perfect output parameters and really great dynamics! But I agree that MQA is more of a trademark than a quality improvement.

Ezees

Oh brother, another hater (who may not even have heard an Masters setup). I rather like Tidal as a service and also MQA's SQ - especially with them having many of the various genres I listen to regularly and also offering a Veteran's Discount that makes it veeery economical for me. Too much upside, IMO.....

Ezees

Just a heads up, available now.
View attachment 238314

Oh I just noticed they pushed the voltage over 5v so it cant be compared, still looks nice for the money I think, so many DACs to choose from.
I like that about SMSL's DACs - that li'l bit of extra voltage (~5.2V vs 4V) does wonders for my amp's power output and volume levels......

Ezees

12k still got problems, like the first batch of su10, same problem (su10 was fixed with new FW)

they need to fix that

1665857424-12K.jpg
At -150 down in level? That's even lower than mouse farts (are they ant farts?), and is a non-issue for everyone who's not a signal generator (or the farting ant's wife who's put in a Dutch Oven, LOL).......

Marc v E

Major Contributor
With all these DACs lacking features like dsp etc the attractive side is a nice display, my last dac was great but I couldn't read the display from my seat, aprox 3mtrs, this one looks a lot better but I dont know....
That is exactly why, imo, the minidsp flex is still the dac to beat.
Dsp in a dac is far more useful than a dac with -120db sinad vs -110db sinad
And a nice big display plus remote is a very useful feature as well.

Last edited:

Gerazavrik

hi everyone, I've been the owner of the SU9pro for 2 weeks now and it works like clockwork! before that I had an M300 MK2, it was great, but this one is better in every way, livelier, more explosive and at the same time more detailed, especially the space has improved, the speakers have disappeared from sight! I highly recommend. good job SMSL! in the picture you can see new aluminum noses, the main reason was cooling, because after a whole day of playing it was quite hot! now it's optimal. another thing, the 3 rubber feet were not stable when serious cables were connected. Now it stands firm, literally.
Hello. Tell me, you do too. If you turn it off SU9 PRO with the remote control after work, then the noise from the device case is heard, not very loud, but there is. After the device cools down, the noise gradually disappears.

zajogungster

Hello. Tell me, you do too. If you turn it off SU9 PRO with the remote control after work, then the noise from the device case is heard, not very loud, but there is. After the device cools down, the noise gradually disappears.
no, nothing like that happens, absolutely no sound! neither when switching on nor when switching off.

Top Bottom