• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Audiophonics

Dealer
We updated all M500 and SU-9 that we have in stock, so all orders shipped from today will be updated version.

However the software revision number has not been increased, so even after an update the SW version will be the same.
But we measured few units and the 3rd harmonic is really cleared.

JoostE

Thanks again Audiophonics for providing great support. Made me order with you :)

Great service is worth something these days.

Veri

Master Contributor
We updated all M500 and SU-9 that we have in stock, so all orders shipped from today will be updated version.

However the software revision number has not been increased, so even after an update the SW version will be the same.
Nice to see a retailer care :) !!!

nobody

"Trust but verify". I'd like to see one of the returned units independently verified as repaired before congratulating anyone.
I bought SU-9 from Audiophonics in december. I will measure it before I will send it for FW upgrade and after I receive it back.

Feyire

:facepalm:, SMSL disappoints again..

JoostE

"Trust but verify". I'd like to see one of the returned units independently verified as repaired before congratulating anyone.

I got one comming from audiophonics. I am quite convinced they are doing it right from email communication, but if anyone can tell me how to test it, I will.

mikolajek

Shipping a defective unit back to China is certainly NOT a solution.

I live in Poland and had to pay EUR 150 duty fee for the tandem SU-9 + DA-9 (refunded by SMSL), so I expect no lower fee when shipping the SU-9 alone back. I've also checked the DHL price to send it back and it's ridiculously high - approx EUR 160 (and it's no insurance covered)...

@SHENZHENAUDIO cannot simply expect anyone from Europe to send those back to China under those or similar conditions. Assuming the whole operation ends successfully and I get reimbursed for the costs (and it's not that likely, I'm afraid, and with this kind of money reimbursed it makes no sense at all for the manufacturer), I'm not happy to freeze hundreds of EUR to have my unit fixed! I hope the EU location will be something more feasible, but still see no reason why the flash executable cannot be simply dispatched to affected customers, even if it requires a special cable to apply...

Last edited:

flubje

I am just about to purchase one of Amazon here in England but reading the last few pages has me a little worried? Would I be getting one with the wrong firmware? A reply ASAP would be greatly appreciated before making the wrong choice

mycose

I am just about to purchase one of Amazon here in England but reading the last few pages has me a little worried? Would I be getting one with the wrong firmware?

You could email the seller before buying so they can confirm if their units are already fixed. I contacted SHENZHENAUDIO about two weeks ago and they told me all their stock is already updated, but that was in Amazon US.

dpippel

Why not increase the firmware number why not? It's very stupid ........
I agree 100%. It's THE best way to identify units running firmware that corrects the problem, and removes ANY ambiguity regarding whether or not a particular SU-9 has been fixed. Omitting a firmware revision number change here is, quite bluntly, idiotic. I doubt that I'll be buying any S.M.S.L products in the future.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree 100%. It's THE best way to identify units running firmware that corrects the problem, and removes ANY ambiguity regarding whether or not a particular SU-9 has been fixed. Omitting a firmware revision number change here is, quite bluntly, idiotic. I doubt that I'll be buying any S.M.S.L products in the future.
Add me to the list.
They will eventually "get it" or be out of business here in the US. What's the over/under on this bet?

Bds3151

Right - so how does an end user confirm the update?

JoostE

I get the frustration with this whole ordeal. But on the other hand, can we try and not be so hostile to the single seller that is actually try to give decent service to their customers?

How do you confirm your unit is as good as the one Amir measured? You don't, unless you measure it yourself. You should be mad at SMSL, not a reseller who tries to do the right thing and is communicating openly about it.

I ordered an SU9 with audiophonics the other day. Should arive in a few days, is there a way I can test it on a normal PC? I could try the microphone input of the motherboard?

mycose

I ordered an SU9 with audiophonics the other day. Should arive in a few days, is there a way I can test it on a normal PC? I could try the microphone input of the motherboard?

I suppose you could, but I wouldn't rely on the mic input of a normal PC since it probably lacks the required sensitivity/resolution (>80-90 SINAD) in order to detect this.

Just a few days ago my replacement unit arrived and I did notice very subtle differences between it and my old unit. Also serial numbers are a bit different.
You can read more about it here.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That would be odd. Amir's review shows no such defect. Anyway linearity is not the measurement to show such a thing :p
Thanks. Which measurement captures the tonality then? Ie whether a DAC is linear/neutral sounding or not. Ideally I would expect to see a SPL/Frequency type graph with a straight line showing the DAC is linear sounding across all frequencies...

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks. Which measurement captures the tonality then? Ie whether a DAC is linear/neutral sounding or not. Ideally I would expect to see a SPL/Frequency type graph with a straight line showing the DAC is linear sounding across all frequencies...
See for example https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d100-portable-headphone-dac-amp-review.11881/ which had some weird bass heavy toggle on. It would show up on the main dashboard if there is some fuckery going on.

When you are comparing devices with similar clean SINAD and output, flat FR, etc; those minute differences are way too far down in level to have some 'signature' or house sound. I believe such things are myths..

Audiophonics

Dealer
Right - so how does an end user confirm the update?

End user can't unless he can measure the unit.
We was able to modify firmware revision with an hex editor, but finally we said to ourselves that it was not for us to create a virtual revision, and could add more confusion.
So we are just adding a sticker on the unit.

We also think that they should have upgraded the version.

Top Bottom