• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

cursive

Forum Donor
Hi I am new to the DAC world so please forgive me if I say something wrong

Recently I am using ifi zen DAC can combo with dt880 pro 250ohms and also iems+active speaker. I am looking for a DAC to replace my ifi zen DAC as I would like to have a more clear and detailed sound. Is smsl su9 a great upgrade of sound for me?

Some people said the output voltage of su9 is larger than normally a DAC would... So would it pair with my zen can amp?

smsl su9
Output impedance
XLR: 207Ω or 370 Ohm(?) (the test by Amirm???)
RCA: 142Ω or 122(?)
And also the output is 5V(?)

ifi zen can
4.4mm Pentacon BAL 4.0V nominal @ 0dBFS, 24 kOhm Zin
RCA L/R Socket SE 2.0V nominal @ 0dBFS, 1 MegOhm Zin

Max. Input
Balanced 7.4V RMS
RCA 3.8V RMS

I totally have no idea if the output of su9 is too high for my zen can or not...please help

Not sure if you plan on using balanced input, but you would need some sort of adapter as the SU-9 has xlr out, and the ifi zen can has 4.4 balanced input.

The SU-9 outputs 5.3v balanced, and 2.0v over RCA so you're well within the range of the max input of the ifi zen can, and shouldn't have any issues pairing them together.

The SU-9 measures considerably better than the Zen DAC, but not sure it would be a night and day audible difference from what you have. It does have some nice additional features though, like xlr and rca output, lcd readout, and remote control, so hopefully those are useful features for you as well.

Last edited:

Magnifico

I can hear my super silent PC rather than hearing the DAC.

VERY BAD tester there. Didn´t even contact SMSL before posting something like that.
Doesn seem to care much about that quality of his tests. This bad "journalism" makes reading test less useful.
This is a good example why we need honest testers with a sense for what they do and that they get that they have responsibility for what they post.
Best example is this question. Just because one bad tester had a bad device, doesn´t care and posts it anyway.

If there was a (common) coilwine problem we´d know of that here in this forum.
That is why I thought about Loxjie D50 and threw that thought away very quickly.
This is a vendor known to have quality issues with several deviced. Even though that one looked like a SMSL M400 copy.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can hear my super silent PC rather than hearing the DAC.

VERY BAD tester there. Didn´t even contact SMSL before posting something like that.
Doesn seem to care much about that quality of his tests. This bad "journalism" makes reading test less useful.
This is a good example why we need honest testers with a sense for what they do and that they get that they have responsibility for what they post.
Best example is this question. Just because one bad tester had a bad device, doesn´t care and posts it anyway.

If there was a (common) coilwine problem we´d know of that here in this forum.
That is why I thought about Loxjie D50 and threw that thought away very quickly.
This is a vendor known to have quality issues with several deviced. Even though that one looked like a SMSL M400 copy.
Testing bias was my first thought, then when reading the article he states SMSL is actually a sponsor. So one would think he would not be so quick to knock SMSL. Where i thought he was being honest is when he stated he contacted SMSL about this, here a paste from the article.

" Noise isn’t introduced into the actual sound output, but the whine coming from the device itself is irksome especially when listening to open-back headphones or earbuds and not what I would expect from a high-end source like this. SMSL engineers also confirmed this is normal behaviour of the switching power supply, but that the noise on my unit is at the higher end of normal."

So that was the main reason why i posted my question earlier concerning that issue. Glad to hear it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue.

Magnifico

Oh. I should have read that prior to flame on that tester.
I absolutely have to take back what I said about that tester.
This is responsible good journalism.

Sets him apart from many many other testers out there.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Magnifico

Here is photo of the feet-mods I´ve done to the SMSL.
If you like Hifi-Feet on your devices....All that comes to my mind is Gustard in that regards.
Even Topping doesn´t do it. Even though the feet they use are a step up from what SMSL has to offer.

SMSL doesn´t get it...people look for such stuff and don´t take SMSL serious because of something like this.
It´s 5 bucks for them to put appropriate feet under their Hifi grade devices...a M300 it is OK. But a SU-9 has a different appearance don´t you think?

King3567

First post here

upgrading my old Modi Uber for a couple of reasons

apparently it is not very good, and I also want to add Bt functionality

I don’t mind spending this much money for a unit which measures very impressively and also has all of the features I want. But, I’m seeing varying opinions in terms of aesthetics and build quality. I want something that feels at least not cheap at this price point - I have an old NAD integrated c315bee and matching CD player, and those are what I consider nice looking stereo kit that doesn’t look cheap.

also hearing some comments that this is not easy to use and has a bad interface - both of which are not great. This is for a living room system which my wife will use sometimes as well, so I don’t want it to be difficult to navigate.

any opinions on these points? Any recommendations for other sub $500 units which might suit me better? I want it to have good sinad but could probably do without the balanced outputs, as I don’t have any balanced inputs for them to go into anyways.
Cheers, thanks

Kisch

First post here

upgrading my old Modi Uber for a couple of reasons

apparently it is not very good, and I also want to add Bt functionality

I don’t mind spending this much money for a unit which measures very impressively and also has all of the features I want. But, I’m seeing varying opinions in terms of aesthetics and build quality. I want something that feels at least not cheap at this price point - I have an old NAD integrated c315bee and matching CD player, and those are what I consider nice looking stereo kit that doesn’t look cheap.

also hearing some comments that this is not easy to use and has a bad interface - both of which are not great. This is for a living room system which my wife will use sometimes as well, so I don’t want it to be difficult to navigate.

any opinions on these points? Any recommendations for other sub $500 units which might suit me better? I want it to have good sinad but could probably do without the balanced outputs, as I don’t have any balanced inputs for them to go into anyways.
Cheers, thanks

Hi.

In my opinion is very easy to use Su9 and interface is fine. Try to find some YouTube videos with interface shown to see if it fits to you. I tried BT with my Samsung S8+ (via LDAC) and it was smooth and stable.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The UI on the SMSL SU-9 is incredibly easy. The display easily readable and the chassis solid. When making XLR connections they clicked right in without any flexing and pairing my BT devices was a cinch.

SQ is excellent.

King3567

Well gents

thanks for your replies. I ended up buying a cheaper and less functional unit, but which measures well still. Hope I don’t regret not spending bit extra for the nicer unit, but the one I’m getting will be nice. Thanks

Destination: Moon

Does it matter that my SU9 is connecting to my tablet via APTX? I have tried to force LDAC on the tablet but every time it reestablishes the connection it reverts to APTX..... (non HD)

possumtaters

Does anyone know if both the RCA and balanced outputs can be active at the same time so one can route the RCA to a powered subwoofer and the Balanced outputs to an amplifier?

Also, is the Bluetooth bidirectional so one can send a signal from the DAC to a Bluetooth enabled sound bar when watching TV, for example, as well as stream from a phone to the DAC when listening to music?

sssskenny

Does anyone know if both the RCA and balanced outputs can be active at the same time so one can route the RCA to a powered subwoofer and the Balanced outputs to an amplifier?

Also, is the Bluetooth bidirectional so one can send a signal from the DAC to a Bluetooth enabled sound bar when watching TV, for example, as well as stream from a phone to the DAC when listening to music?

For the second question, the DAC Bluetooth is only for receiving signal... so u can send the signal to su9 via Bluetooth but can only output signal in rca and xlr.

SloPoke

Forum Donor

Yes, RCA and XLR outputs concurrently active. And no Bluetooth transmission, it just receives BT.

sssskenny

Not sure if you plan on using balanced input, but you would need some sort of adapter as the SU-9 has xlr out, and the ifi zen can has 4.4 balanced input.

The SU-9 outputs 5.3v balanced, and 2.0v over RCA so you're well within the range of the max input of the ifi zen can, and shouldn't have any issues pairing them together.

The SU-9 measures considerably better than the Zen DAC, but not sure it would be a night and day audible difference from what you have. It does have some nice additional features though, like xlr and rca output, lcd readout, and remote control, so hopefully those are useful features for you as well.

Hi. I have got my su9 now. Tdy is the second or third day. the su9 is still below 50 hrs in working. When the su9 arrives, I use the rca from zen DAC to change to su9--> zen can. But!!!!!!! I can tell the difference between ifi zen DAC and su9 is clear. su9 sounds much more clean darker in the background, bright in tone, and more energetic and powerful. Relatively zen DAC is warmer, more blurry but performs better if u prefer a more relaxed, warm, emotional, and darker (tone) sound. I like the changes in the sound.

For me now, the zen can is way too powerful for my iem. My iem is not too sensitive, with 80~90% volume of phone to provide enough sound. Do anyone have a recommendation on a not powerful headphone amp for my iem?

cursive

Forum Donor
Hi. I have got my su9 now. Tdy is the second or third day. the su9 is still below 50 hrs in working. When the su9 arrives, I use the rca from zen DAC to change to su9--> zen can. But!!!!!!! I can tell the difference between ifi zen DAC and su9 is clear. su9 sounds much more clean darker in the background, bright in tone, and more energetic and powerful. Relatively zen DAC is warmer, more blurry but performs better if u prefer a more relaxed, warm, emotional, and darker (tone) sound. I like the changes in the sound.

For me now, the zen can is way too powerful for my iem. My iem is not too sensitive, with 80~90% volume of phone to provide enough sound. Do anyone have a recommendation on a not powerful headphone amp for my iem?

Glad you're enjoying it! It really is an awesome DAC. If your IEM's are super sensitive and you can't get low enough volume on the zen can, I would turn on the variable volume on the SU-9, and turn down the volume on the SU-9 going to the zen can until it's a more manageable level. May not be a perfect solution, but at least you don't have to buy something different just for one set of sensitive IEM's.

sanbol

I am new to this, so I already placed an order for pair of speakers(BMR), amp(Purifi) and might get this DAC. What else would I need for streaming music? as I don't think this DAC has this built-in like some other DACS. Would a Node 2i do? any others choices? not really sure.

Also how can I connect the DAC to the Network streamer?

I am going to use XLR from my DAC to Amp.

Sorry for the dumb questions

Top Bottom