• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

kgs51

I own the smsl su9 and I want to try the bluetooth function. Does anyone know how that quality is. Also, my stereo system in the living room is wired. If I purchase an adapter can I play bluetooth from the dac to the stereo receiver.

Kisch

I own the smsl su9 and I want to try the bluetooth function. Does anyone know how that quality is. Also, my stereo system in the living room is wired. If I purchase an adapter can I play bluetooth from the dac to the stereo receiver.

Depends on your phone. With iPhone you can use AAC only. With Android 8+ you can use probably LDAC, which is more advanced. Wiki says: When the codec is set to 16 bits/44.1kHz at 909 kbps (or 16 bits/48kHz at 990 kbps) LDAC can stream lossless audio that is identical in quality to (or slightly higher than) Audio CD or standard resolution uncompressed audio.

kgs51

Do you know if I used a bluetooth adapter with my receiver, I can get music played through my wired speakers

Kisch

Do you know if I used a bluetooth adapter with my receiver, I can get music played through my wired speakers

I tried Samsung S8+ (LDAC) with my Dynaudio speakers and it was fine. What device do you want stream from?

SeaNNyT

Just to be sure without reading throught the whole thread, is this DAC truly balanced in the circuitry unlike it's pairing amp brother the SH-9?

Kisch

Just to be sure without reading throught the whole thread, is this DAC truly balanced in the circuitry unlike it's pairing amp brother the SH-9?

According to internal picture I am quite sure it is.

Magnifico

You guys have seen the driver update to v5.00 ???
I remember recently we had a talk about the vendor often not updating their drivers.

Driver even works for my M300. SU-9 is on it´s way.

krott5333

It may have been answered, but...

When using an amp with balanced inputs, is there any advantage to using a balanced XLR DAC if my only inputs are through Coaxial / Toslink?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I just use my Kindle Fire HD 10 and connect to it via bluetooth for the wife. I think it uses LDAC but will have to double check. Sounds fine.

Magnifico

Ahm...Bummer for me.

Somebody has Volume Control in Windows working ?

I had it working with every device until today....reconnected...driver reinstall.....nope.
I can even mute it and it does nothing.

Volume Control and stuff via remote does work perfectly of course.

@amirm : To step back in menus without remote push and hold the volume button/wheel. Thats it.
Come on....that wasnt too hard to find out ;)

Then a word to the misinformation I found in several reviews that really concerned me.
There is absolutely no doubt that SU-9 is capable of MQA playback of files with 352,8Khz. Worked right out of the box.
And to that MY SU-9 does lock on MQA files this instand. No seconds until it locks on MQA stream or something.
Click and lock!
Must have been lucky picks. I now get to see the MQA Logo takes about a second to come up. Though I only do see it happen. Can´t hear any difference
Seems to be old and new MQA encodes.
Genesis R-Kive (Fading Lights (2007 Remaster) = MQAEncode v1.1, 2.3.3+800
Taylor Swift Evermore (Willow) = MQAEncode v1.1, 3091
just examples

I switched back from D70 to M300 for selling the D70 while waiting for the SU-9.
Well if people can´t hear a difference between M300 and SU-9 I´m sad their hearing isn´t on par with mine.
So much more air in that music. M300 sounded pretty punchy to me...so the difference isn´t that much but I think I can feel it.
Smoothness...this is where I´m currently listening to.

I had SMSL critiziced for their sloppy website management before and keep doing it.
Best example drivers for the SU-9. Linked in the device page is 4.86. Support website has 5.00 available.

/EDIT: Well volume control in Windows works, if I don´t use Asio or DSD as output device. With default output it works.

/EDIT: The "air" is what destroys the M300. Slowly I get to hear the laid back sound the smoothness people are talking about.
oh and this thing is LOUD. I´m back on low gain with my SP200. M300 and D70 were very comfortable with 12o´clock position in high gain.
My head and my DT1990s would explode on that level with SU-9.
Now I´m maxed out in low gain at 3 o`clock.

Last edited:

bilzebubba

Hi Toku,

I don't get a pop noise when I switch the unit on or off but I get the same super short/high pitched micro-crackle that I described above. So definitely not a pop but a crackle, and it isn't loud but it does hurt the ear a bit. I would describe it as the sound of a static sweater next to your ear as you pull it over your head, if that makes sense?

I get a thump on tidal as well when Roon/Tidal changes from mqa to non mqa tracks, but only fairly recently and only out of one Dac, a Matrix Mini-i (v1) with xlr that i tried attaching to my Purifi amp cos it sounded far better than using my Nad d3045 as a pre-out (but which makes no such noise). Am going to get a new balanced dac, but need to know it won't make such noises on track changes! Any ideas? Or is it Roon?

LukaV

Hi all. Anyone compared this and SGD1? Is it all about MQA vs better overal performance and quality? Are there any other pros in favour to SU-9 apart from ability of MQA extraction?

Magnifico

What are you talking about. In which regard is the SGD1 better ?

If there is no really good price I see no point in buying one.
No display is a big point for SU-9.
Here for me in germany SGD1 is even slightly more expensive than SU-9.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So have any of you current owners noticed or hear any coil whine noise coming from the unit itself?
I don't mean coming through the outputs into the signal, but the box itself. I read over on SMSL SU-9 Review – Epiphany – Everyday Listening , that the box itself emitted a rather loud coil whine supposedly due to the smps being used.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So have any of you current owners noticed or hear any coil whine noise coming from the unit itself?
I don't mean coming through the outputs into the signal, but the box itself. I read over on SMSL SU-9 Review – Epiphany – Everyday Listening , that the box itself emitted a rather loud coil whine supposedly due to the smps being used.

So far so good 1 month in. But anything a month old I expect to be working 100%.

sssskenny

Hi I am new to the DAC world so please forgive me if I say something wrong

Recently I am using ifi zen DAC can combo with dt880 pro 250ohms and also iems+active speaker. I am looking for a DAC to replace my ifi zen DAC as I would like to have a more clear and detailed sound. Is smsl su9 a great upgrade of sound for me?

Some people said the output voltage of su9 is larger than normally a DAC would... So would it pair with my zen can amp?

smsl su9
Output impedance
XLR: 207Ω or 370 Ohm(?) (the test by Amirm???)
RCA: 142Ω or 122(?)
And also the output is 5V(?)

ifi zen can
4.4mm Pentacon BAL 4.0V nominal @ 0dBFS, 24 kOhm Zin
RCA L/R Socket SE 2.0V nominal @ 0dBFS, 1 MegOhm Zin

Max. Input
Balanced 7.4V RMS
RCA 3.8V RMS

I totally have no idea if the output of su9 is too high for my zen can or not...please help

Top Bottom