• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Su-9, m400, or Topping D90 for stereo setup (amp + speakers + sub about US$11K)? Currently using node2i, which measured poorly by ASR. I am not liking the highs that much using node2i directly to amp.
I have the Node 2i but use the E30 as an external DAC. Better.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How is the Matrix Mini-i 3 Pro? It's under $1000 and its specs are very good on paper.

I would go with RME ADI-2 FS v2. Superb DAC, build like a tank, and great support. Opposite to a lot brands here, they really listen to you (topping isn't one of them).

Plus is DAC + HP AMP + MONITOR + EQ + MUCH MORE!

AGLeS

Forum Donor
I would go with RME ADI-2 FS v2. Superb DAC, build like a tank, and great support. Opposite to a lot brands here, they really listen to you (topping isn't one of them).

Plus is DAC + HP AMP + MONITOR + EQ + MUCH MORE!
Not taking issue with your comments on the RME but the @boblo stated he wants integrated streaming.

boblo

Not taking issue with your comments on the RME but the @boblo stated he wants integrated streaming.
But if the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 is not suitable for Android phone and only has AirPlay (not DLNA), I think I will have to look for a combo. The Element I has everything I need, but lacks MQA decoding. It's a shame, because the Element I has DLNA, access to USB mass storage (portable hard drives) and a good built-in DAC (although it's slightly worse than SU-9's ES9038 PRO, but could I hear the difference? That's the question).

I know that MQA decoding on this forum is scam for most users, but I have not heard yet a MQA stream, so I cannot judge if it's garbage or not, and naturally I would like to take advantage of my Tidal HiFi subscription.

AGLeS

Forum Donor
But if the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 is not suitable for Android phone and only has AirPlay (not DLNA), I think I will have to look for a combo. The Element I has everything I need, but lacks MQA decoding. It's a shame, because the Element I has DLNA, access to USB mass storage (portable hard drives) and a good built-in DAC (although it's slightly worse than SU-9's ES9038 PRO, but could I hear the difference? That's the question).

I know that MQA decoding on this forum is scam for most users, but I have not heard yet a MQA stream, so I cannot judge if it's garbage or not, and naturally I would like to take advantage of my Tidal HiFi subscription.
It appears that the Matrix is suitable for Android:
A4A2868B-4366-4EFA-BE7C-679BE96E45ED.jpeg

Last edited:

boblo

It appears that the Matrix is suitable for Android:
View attachment 104806
Thank you for your clarification, but the point is if it can receive Tidal and Qobuz streams not over Bluetooth with my smartphone, but over WiFi with my internet router/modem, as Denon do with their HEOS system (I have a Denon AVR-X4400H receiver and works like a charm, I can wirelessly play hi-res tracks up to 192kHz sample rate). The HEOS system uses the smartphone only as a controller via BT, streaming is made via WiFi. As far I know, the Mini-i Pro 3 only can do this with Roon running... it's not a solution for me. So is there any streamer working like HEOS? Moreover, if the device had a good built-in DAC and a streaming similar to HEOS, it would be wonderful (but keep in mind I cannot afford the Matrix Element M).

Last edited:

Aardappel

Received my SU-9 yesterday and thought I would give some feedback on some of the issues that have been reported (this might help some people looking for a new DAC):
  • The 3 rubber feet 'issue' - I use 'heavy' XLR cables and use nearly every socket on the DAC but my unit sits stable and doesn't wobble at all, this is no issue for me
  • No coil whine whatsoever, the unit is silent
  • The USB plug/socket works fine, maybe a smidge harder to plug it in or remove it vs. other USB sockets I have used but no issues
  • Bluetooth LDAC actually sounds quite decent
  • The DAC gets warmer than my Purifi/EVAL1 based amp
  • When plugged into my Purifi/EVAL1 based amp the speakers are DEAD-silent, absolutely inky-black. In fact, I feel like the tweeter is even more silent when the amp is plugged into the SU-9 with XLRs compared to not being plugged into anything at all - I have never experienced such a lack of hiss and that was one of the most important things for me as I am allergic to tweeter hiss!
  • When switching source or muting/unmuting the DAC, and sometimes when changing file on Tidal (MQA to non-MQA) the DAC releases a short and low volume but very high pitched crackle sound that manages to hurt the ears despite being of such low volume, its annoying
  • The remote feels very cheap - is there a way to use an apple remote or something else that doesn't make me feel like I am using a sub 1-dollar piece of plastic?
  • I quite like the display, it seems to be pretty high resolution, I did dim it a bit though
  • With regards to sound quality - the first thing I noticed when using the DAC is just how amazing the bass sounds - it seems to be very detailed, layered and well defined, very punchy and controlled. Obviously the Purifi helps in that department as well, but that was the first thing I noticed when playing the DAC
  • I still need to play around with the different filters/sound modes

Toku

Major Contributor
Received my SU-9 yesterday and thought I would give some feedback on some of the issues that have been reported (this might help some people looking for a new DAC):
  • The 3 rubber feet 'issue' - I use 'heavy' XLR cables and use nearly every socket on the DAC but my unit sits stable and doesn't wobble at all, this is no issue for me
  • No coil whine whatsoever, the unit is silent
  • The USB plug/socket works fine, maybe a smidge harder to plug it in or remove it vs. other USB sockets I have used but no issues
  • Bluetooth LDAC actually sounds quite decent
  • The DAC gets warmer than my Purifi/EVAL1 based amp
  • When plugged into my Purifi/EVAL1 based amp the speakers are DEAD-silent, absolutely inky-black. In fact, I feel like the tweeter is even more silent when the amp is plugged into the SU-9 with XLRs compared to not being plugged into anything at all - I have never experienced such a lack of hiss and that was one of the most important things for me as I am allergic to tweeter hiss!
  • When switching source or muting/unmuting the DAC, and sometimes when changing file on Tidal (MQA to non-MQA) the DAC releases a short and low volume but very high pitched crackle sound that manages to hurt the ears despite being of such low volume, its annoying
  • The remote feels very cheap - is there a way to use an apple remote or something else that doesn't make me feel like I am using a sub 1-dollar piece of plastic?
  • I quite like the display, it seems to be pretty high resolution, I did dim it a bit though
  • With regards to sound quality - the first thing I noticed when using the DAC is just how amazing the bass sounds - it seems to be very detailed, layered and well defined, very punchy and controlled. Obviously the Purifi helps in that department as well, but that was the first thing I noticed when playing the DAC
  • I still need to play around with the different filters/sound modes
Let me ask only one question.

I'm suffering from pop noise on the M500's XLR output.
Is there pop noise when the power is turned on / off with the remote control or front panel while using the SU-9's XLR output?

If there is no pop noise, I would like to replace the M500 with the SU-9.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like a great DAC- and what a complement to the Purifi amp! Happy listening!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

To learn why many feel MQA is not a great idea check this article out.
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/01/measurements-mqa-master-quality.html

Aardappel

Let me ask only one question.

I'm suffering from pop noise on the M500's XLR output.
Is there pop noise when the power is turned on / off with the remote control or front panel while using the SU-9's XLR output?

If there is no pop noise, I would like to replace the M500 with the SU-9.
Hi Toku,

I don't get a pop noise when I switch the unit on or off but I get the same super short/high pitched micro-crackle that I described above. So definitely not a pop but a crackle, and it isn't loud but it does hurt the ear a bit. I would describe it as the sound of a static sweater next to your ear as you pull it over your head, if that makes sense?

N

nhatlam96

this guy brings in ASR in his review, stating the m400 sounds completely different
The guy is young enough to be honest. I'm subscribed to his channel.
young and naive enough to not understand expectation bias? :facepalm:
Though I have heard my SMSL M400 through a £ 100 K rig, and my ears are 61 years old.
My ears still said WOW though.
At my age, you have no expectation bias.
Youth may know better though.

I wrote that guy a comment, maybe he will answer.
Btw, does my statement there make sense? I hope it's correct
2021-01-13.png

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wrote that guy a comment, maybe he will answer.

Does matching to 1/2 dB using an SPL meter count ?

I could use a digital multi meter, if you would prefer, as I have built my own amps, https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ven...composite-amplifier-achieving-0-0004-thd.html.

Pre-amp, https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/287508-bruno-putzeys-balanced-preamp-buy-2-a.html

4 box Paradise phono stage https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/216891-paradise-phono-stage.html

And rebuilt my Quad 989 ESL's into solid steel frames.

So my bias expectation is, that if is not good enough, I build/buy better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom