• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Dmit89

Thanks very much. Have you got a link to a high resolution image for the last photo? I cannot make out the opamps used?
Only these photos. SMSL herself posted these photos in social networks.
the SU 9 uses the same operational amplifiers as the SU8.

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't get this product when the M500 is the exact same thing with the same measurements (V2) and costs less...any reason to change?

This plus the fact the the M400 is the same thing with a different DAC chip and double the price. Some product planning meetings seem to have gone wrong here...or is it just throwing out same spec boards in different casings...

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
The M500 doesn't have Bluetooth, but it does have an OK headphone amp, so it's a toss up to what a person wants.
To me, the only thing I find more attractive about the SU-9 over the M500 is it stacks nicer.

zhaqenl

I took a screenshot of the following from the SMSL SU-9 video on Youtube from the SHENZHENAUDIO channel. Would this be similar to the Topping E30’s pre- and dac-mode? Afaik, with Vol Variable, we could go as high as 5.3V, but with Vol Fixed, will it be static at its maximum level, or will it be set to the 4V standard?

Btw @amirm, would you know what the default setting was for the sound color setting?

1601868389402.png

zhaqenl

Oh, nevermind, I found the answer regarding the default setting for the ‘Sound Color’ menu:

1601868899863.png

There is a ‘Standard’ setting which I presume is the default. (Video is from the Headphone show channel on youtube, featuring Resolve)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks very much. Have you got a link to a high resolution image for the last photo? I cannot make out the opamps used?
I assume it's 1612. And according to the photos it should be the QFN package.

Hemi-Demon

Does it click, when changing sample rates like most other SMSL DACs? I hope they have fixed that, as I can't stand that relay clicking sound.

sonci99

Does it click, when changing sample rates like most other SMSL DACs? I hope they have fixed that, as I can't stand that relay clicking sound.

I remember my old pc audiocard EMU 1212M, it used to click when changing sample rates. I always loved that click, it seemed like smth inside the card was changing. It sounded better with that click.

nj75f

You must have not followed. 2kOhm for balance input. 10k for unbalanced.
A respond to #187.
So that's not the 3,7k ohms input impedance Amirm suggested (10:1 ratio). "Lose some level" means audio loudness?
- Will that effect measurements for noise, distortion etcetera?
- Will I be able to crank up the channel to 4.7 V or stay below?

Just unsure which DAC for a good pairing for the Topping A90 over XLR, with an input impedance suitable as Amirm and co. suggest.
They all have the functions I'm looking for and look quite nice, lol.
At such high level class: Topping D90, Gustard A18, Smsl M400, Smsl Su-9?

By chance you know and want to tell what the XLR output impedance for these DACs is?
Looked up in the forums but can't find.
Why the companies do not provide that information? :(

Which one fits better?

Thanks!

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Someone tell me that it’s ok to keep my SU-8 v2 and not sell it for this SU-9

ShadowNeko

A respond to #187.
So that's not the 3,7k ohms input impedance Amirm suggested (10:1 ratio). "Lose some level" means audio loudness?
- Will that effect measurements for noise, distortion etcetera?
- Will I be able to crank up the channel to 4.7 V or stay below?

Just unsure which DAC for a good pairing for the Topping A90 over XLR, with an input impedance suitable as Amirm and co. suggest.
They all have the functions I'm looking for and look quite nice, lol.
At such high level class: Topping D90, Gustard A18, Smsl M400, Smsl Su-9?

By chance you know and want to tell what the XLR output impedance for these DACs is?
Looked up in the forums but can't find.
Why the companies do not provide that information? :(

Which one fits better?

Thanks!
Theres also the soncoz sgd1. On their FAQ page they say it has an output impedance of 200 ohms into xlr.

marcom22

Sorry same question .... Someone tell me that it’s ok to keep my Topping DX7s and not sell it for this SU-9
I dont use headphone output on my DX7s

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Sorry same question .... Someone tell me that it’s ok to keep my Topping DX7s and not sell it for this SU-9
I dont use headphone output on my DX7s
If you sell it for su9, you end up paying more. If dx7s doesn't have things that annoy you, why not keep it? But if you are just curious about how su9 is you can get one then decide either selling dx7s or returning su9.

marcom22

If you sell it for su9, you end up paying more. If dx7s doesn't have things that annoy you, why not keep it? But if you are just curious about how su9 is you can get one then decide either selling dx7s or returning su9.

Yes I agree with you But from paper and graphs the SU9 is on another planet

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
It’s totally ok to keep SU-8 v2 and not sell it for SU-9

Really? I feel like I might need the additional 8db of SINAD and integrated BT 5.0

Does ASR have a classifieds? Maybe someone needs this thing for $200.

Top Bottom