• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Celty

Because there are already multiple products with the same performance that have been out for almost a year now for the same price soncoz sgd1 smsl m500 v2. The d90 and m400 cost a lot more because they use the ak4499 instead of the es9038pro. Also the su8 was known for being a very cheap balanced dac so people assumed the successor would also be a more budget product.
Hmm, from what I saw from googling the price difference of those two chips it is only about $20-$25 bucks, so that does not seem to add up (no pun intended).

Memoryerror

Forum Donor
If you are hearing issues I suggest you either have your hearing examined, or learn to do a proper controlled test. Either way, what you hear is what is on your recording. Guaranteed!
/QUOTE]

It seems like a weird thing to say. Someone might have a unit that has some issue. Or maybe their setup causes some issue that you did not experience when measuring this. It makes me uneasy when I read this. It seems like a very aggressive thing to say, and not entirely logical.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hmm, from what I saw from googling the price difference of those two chips it is only about $20-$25 bucks, so that does not seem to add up (no pun intended).
But at the date of initial release? Or even before the release?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the context, I read it as Amir's confidence in this product, as per his tests.
I guess he is referring to reviewers who judge a dac by the sound they hear, and don't measure it for performance, using specific criteria.
Agreed. He is referring of course to a properly functioning unit.

Reactions: PSO

ol_mcdonald

Wow, love this site. Thanks @amirm . Been eyeing the M500v2, then read articles here and elsewhere on MQA and started second guessing that decision. Then looked at SU 8 et etc. but now, why?! I guess I'll give it a few weeks and see what pops up with the 9.

nj75f

I don't have an explanation for that but the difference is not major anyway.
So, uhmm, 80 % not much a difference? Well okay, you say so.

But I still don't see where I can look up the xlr input impedance of the headphone amplifier for the topping a90.
Neither you, Wolf of @JohnYang1997 provide it. ;)
You only provide the output impedance.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So, uhmm, 80 % not much a difference? Well okay, you say so.

But I still don't see where I can look up the xlr input impedance of the headphone amplifier for the topping a90.
Neither you, Wolf of @JohnYang1997 provide it. ;)
You only provide the output impedance.
You must have not followed. 2kOhm for balance input. 10k for unbalanced.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Loved it. Worthy upgrade over the FiiO K5 Pro?

Thx @amirm

Last edited:

mshenay

So far I'm rather impressed with this unit, I typically go with a fast filter but I find things are overall a bit more natural to my ears with the slow linear... tho fast hybrid has a touch more "depth" within the stage is renders...

The Brickwall and Fast Linear filters were fatiguing...

MFF7pxf.jpg

Ahh the system in question, I'm running Coaxial in from a D10 XLR out [Vol at 99 with "fixed" output] into a CCS Modded SRM-007tA from Mjolnir Audio with a ES Lab ES-1A [Dark Pads]

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
SMSL was working on a DAC with vintage PCM1704 multibit chips, anyone knows where it went?

gvl

Major Contributor
While a PCM1704 DAC would not break a new ground, if they can make one reasonably priced that performs up to the chip spec, supports NOS mode and 16x sampling over USB, it would be an interesting option to use with HQ Player or other external filtering, just for fun.

Veri

Master Contributor
While a PCM1704 DAC would not break a new ground, if they can make one reasonably priced that performs up to the chip spec, supports NOS mode and 16x sampling over USB, it would be an interesting option to use with HQ Player or other external filtering, just for fun.
I fear it will only support digital filter mode and no bypass/NOS.

Reactions: gvl
Top Bottom