• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello !
I have a problem when using my SMSL SU-9 with USB connect
I will try to relate what is going wrong
I use SMSL as an USB dac connected to my computer, Samsung running Windows 8.1 x32 updated.
The computer reads Flac files from usb external hard-disk
The computer runs Jriver 26
This is a basic system, I use to play for many years, and before to try SMSL USB interface, I was running DXIO Pro3z as USB/spdif converter to Twisted Pear ESS9018 Dac
I had to download drivers (5.00) from SMSL website, and install on my computer
When USB Input is selected on SMSL, I can see the driver is reaching the USB input, some comments and parms : 44.1khz 32 bits, buffer size 512 default selection
When I try to play music, Jriver locks during 30-40 seconds before beginning to play, as if there was a contention between driver and device.
Usually , with USB Spdif interface , when music is starting, in a previous config a brief "buffering " appears on Jriver top screen , may be 1/4 second
With SMSL usb connected, the message "Buffering " is present during the lock, 30-40 seconds , then disappears and music plays
Does anyone have experienced with this kind of problem ?
Thanks for any help
Windows 8.1 is old and my understanding may be wrong, but when connected using DXIO Pro3z as USB/spdif converter, it is output by Window's standard USB driver. The installed SMSL USB driver will not be used.

You haven't said anything about the output settings for Jriver 26, but I think you need to specify the SMSL USB driver for the output and make sure the related settings are set correctly.

The buffering time can be such a long time operation depending on the setting of Jriver 26.I think you have probably chosen full buffering.

Last edited:

Kisch

No, have not tried any other application,
When I try a similar plateform, using the spdif input of the SMSL , adding a usb/spdif converter(DXIO Pro3z) betwen host and spdif Dac input , everything is OK
Something like a conflict with SMSL Usb input and Host software..but what ?
I have no experience adjusting the driver buffer size (many choices proposed )... what is important to choose ? a small size ? big size ? related to what ?
I'm gonna let a message to Jriver Interact Forum, hoping some help from developpers
Thanks !

Test SU-9 as USB sound card for Windows without using Jriver.

GuyLux

Hello !
Sorry for this hard explanation, but english is not my native language
I 'm gonna try to explain a bit more

I have some Spdif dacs, some are with/without usb input
_Khadas Tone Board V1, USB and spdif
_Khadas Tone Board V2, USB and spdif
_SMSL Sanskrit V1, USB and spdif (opto and rca)
_Twisted Pear V2 ESS9018, only spdif ,DIY made with Jensen Ouput Transfos
_Cambridge DAC3 D/A (4xTDA1541) spdif only
_Cambridge DAC2 (2xTDA1305) spdif only
The dacs (only 1 at the time) are connected RCA to my Preamp >Amp>Drivers

When I want to install a Dac, with only Spdif input, I have to install USB/Spdif converter, I have 2 choices
_DXIO Pro3z (specific driver Usb Audio 2 )
_Musiland USD ( specific driver Usb Bulk Mode , emulate HDDisk)
I made myself special USB cables with 5v injector (from ultra low noise PSU)

The central point for managing my Music plateform is a small computer, dedicated only to play music
_Samsung NC10, 1.6Ghz , 2Go RAM, 10" screen , Fanless, running Windows 8.1 32x86 SSD installed
It's a 32 bits computer, memory is limited to 2Go max., no benefit to run W10
W8 doesn't support USB2 Audio layer like native W10
The player is Jriver 26, I'm using it for a long time maybe V12 (was free)

Music is stored as flac files (65000 files ) into a 2To HDD, connected USB2
Jriver reads/uploads a full track into memory (can see access led lighting briefly once)

Each time I want to test a Dac, I have to select ,into Jriver list , the specific driver
The drivers have to be installed in Windows before using, (basic install)
Into Jriver options , drivers are presented in a dynamic list , only have to be carefull to choose the good one.

I never had any problem with this configuration except recently with SMSL SU-9 USB input
The problem is a lock during 30-40s when beginning to play a list of selected files
The lock duration is the same either I'm playing only one file, or a play-list
When delay have passed, the sound comes , excellent quality
I have posted a message to Jriver yesterday about this issue

@Kisch
Yes, this is a good idea, I'm gonna test with Window Media Player

Thanks to All!

GuyLux

I succeed !!
I've tried Windows Media Player, native audio application in Windows
Just to adjust the output to SMSL asio driver, and music was !!!
So, I could expect the problem was "logical", and not "physical"
I had some doubt about a conflict with other device, I un-installed usb sound card SB XFi
I had a look to system ressources, CPU and memory with the Task Manager, nothing really bad ...
Then I have stopped Windows Defender (after a general fast check), because I use it as a dynamic shield
I have un-installed Jriver 26, deleting all relate files
I installed Jriver 25, and built new playlist (more one hour to do)
While rebuilding Jriver database, I was reading some articles about drivers, parameters, and differences betwen architecture
I learnt that , in general, people prefer to choose small number of samples to send to driver
In Jriver unselect "use large buffers" (ouput device preferences)
So I've tested from 2048 (max) to 128
I let it to 128, because Jriver is very reactive like that, as soon I click on a music file, the HDD red led shows access (1/10 sec) the track is fully uploaded (Jriver parameter I choose) into memory, just to decode flac and send to driver and dac (full operations less 1 sec)
When playing chained music files, the new track is uploaded before the previous has totally ended
Jriver use less 2% cpu, system is going perfectly, I can have access and manage files without any "click scratch" in my music directory.
Now my system is working perfectly, I leave like that for the moment , but I would like to find when/why sound would degrades
I'm not ready to write a thesis about managing asio buffers, but I'm happy for the job done
Now I'm listening "Miles Davis" My Funny Valentine...What a pleasure !!!
Thanks to All !

Kisch

I succeed !!
I've tried Windows Media Player, native audio application in Windows
Just to adjust the output to SMSL asio driver, and music was !!!
So, I could expect the problem was "logical", and not "physical"
I had some doubt about a conflict with other device, I un-installed usb sound card SB XFi
I had a look to system ressources, CPU and memory with the Task Manager, nothing really bad ...
Then I have stopped Windows Defender (after a general fast check), because I use it as a dynamic shield
I have un-installed Jriver 26, deleting all relate files
I installed Jriver 25, and built new playlist (more one hour to do)
While rebuilding Jriver database, I was reading some articles about drivers, parameters, and differences betwen architecture
I learnt that , in general, people prefer to choose small number of samples to send to driver
In Jriver unselect "use large buffers" (ouput device preferences)
So I've tested from 2048 (max) to 128
I let it to 128, because Jriver is very reactive like that, as soon I click on a music file, the HDD red led shows access (1/10 sec) the track is fully uploaded (Jriver parameter I choose) into memory, just to decode flac and send to driver and dac (full operations less 1 sec)
When playing chained music files, the new track is uploaded before the previous has totally ended
Jriver use less 2% cpu, system is going perfectly, I can have access and manage files without any "click scratch" in my music directory.
Now my system is working perfectly, I leave like that for the moment , but I would like to find when/why sound would degrades
I'm not ready to write a thesis about managing asio buffers, but I'm happy for the job done
Now I'm listening "Miles Davis" My Funny Valentine...What a pleasure !!!
Thanks to All !

Nice to hear that. :) Thx for update.

Magnifico

This is surely close to my personal endgame. With the feet I installed this unit is purely awesome.
Sold a Topping D70 for this thing ;)
Unbelievable Sound with the SP200 and my DT1990s. Deep, full without being muddy. Detailed yet not screaming hights (I´ve got Solderdudes Filter installed inline) and the mids are right there I like them to be.
I´d like to buy SH-9 to have it a perfectly matching stack....but I don´t think sound will change a lot...so currently SH-9 is too expensive for me personally having already a SP200.

SashaR

This is surely close to my personal endgame. With the feet I installed this unit is purely awesome.
Thank you again for your answer! Tell me, please, the feet which you installed to your SU9, - where you have place it, please?

dpippel

Thank you again for your answer! Tell me, please, the feet which you installed to your SU9, - where you have place it, please?

I contacted S.M.S.L about the poor three foot design of the SU-9. They asked me to contact the dealer I bought it from (SHENZHEN Audio) and have them request extras be sent to me. I did so, and SHENZHEN shipped 8 extra factory feet to me at no charge. I had them 8 days later.

Since I only need 2 feet (I added them to the single foot on the rear of the DAC) and will keep 2 as spares, I have 4 available. If you live in the U.S. and need a couple, shoot me a PM and I'll mail them to you free of charge.

nhs

I really like to know if the SMSL SU-8 has the capability to update its firmware?

nhs

Considering the I/O ports backside right now I think the su-9 will never be able to have the capability to update its firmware because there is no usb input available at all.

GuyLux

Considering the I/O ports backside right now I think the su-9 will never be able to have the capability to update its firmware because there is no usb input available at all.
smsl-su-9.jpg

Last edited:

liu

@amirm do you still have the unit and can you test if SMSL SU-9 suffers from the same flaw as their M500 described here?

SU-9 and M500 are super alike devices --- similar hardware, same firmware.
It's highly possible the bug is there too.

nessism

Newbie question: with a DAC like this that outputs 4V is a headphone amp needed to drive a 300 ohm headphone set?

Reason for asking is that my old E30 DAC, which outputs 2V, were able to drive my Drop HD 6XXX headphones fine, even though I did buy a L30 amp to go with it.. With double the power is there a need for an amp?

SashaR

I contacted S.M.S.L about the poor three foot design of the SU-9. They asked me to contact the dealer I bought it from (SHENZHEN Audio) and have them request extras be sent to me. I did so, and SHENZHEN shipped 8 extra factory feet to me at no charge. I had them 8 days later.

Since I only need 2 feet (I added them to the single foot on the rear of the DAC) and will keep 2 as spares, I have 4 available. If you live in the U.S. and need a couple, shoot me a PM and I'll mail them to you free of charge.
Look back a few pages.
I posted pics of that.
Thank you very much!

Top Bottom