• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Destination: Moon

You should know, that you should cut the power to the devices anyway when you´re traveling.
Other than that....what would happen ? NOTHING....

If I did that, I'd spend 2 hours unplugging and plugging stuff back in anytime I traveled. As it is, I throw breakers to oven, in floor heat, microwave, washing machines, etc. For longer trips and will again hopefully!... But un plugging every device is a bridge too far. I don't know why you think it's ok, but devices should not power themselves on when power is restored. Unless it's a battery backup system or similar

Dooku

Hello all SU-9 owners, after my first post on how to upgrade my desktop setup I have pretty much decided to go with the SU-9 DAC.

So, if you don't mind I have a few questions about this device and about general dac setups before I go out and order the SU-9:
- Does the SU-9 have a volume control so I can leave the windows 10 volume at a fixed level near but not at 100%?
- Does this volume control work in some specific mode only and what does that mean, any consequences for sound quality?
- I am assuming the best option is to use a USB cable to connect the SU-9 to my computer?
(I will be using XLR cables from the SU-9 to my Adam T5V's)
- I will leave my Asus Xonar Essence XT sound card in my computer as I will be using that only for headphone listening.
But does that mean I need to switch the sound source in windows 10 between the SU-9 and the Xonar in such a case?

Feel free to include any other advice also regarding this device or general DAC setup.
Thank you.

Veri

Master Contributor
- I am assuming the best option is to use a USB cable to connect the SU-9 to my computer?
(I will be using XLR cables from the SU-9 to my Adam T5V's)
- I will leave my Asus Xonar Essence XT sound card in my computer as I will be using that only for headphone listening.
But does that mean I need to switch the sound source in windows 10 between the SU-9 and the Xonar in such a case?
-Yep :)
-Also yep, two different interfaces after all.

Magnifico

As much as I know...SU-9 is better.
But asking if you can hear it.....I don´t know.

Hegel

Hello everybody. Can anybody please verify this DAC has the following bug? I am curious whether this bug exists on the other SMSL SU-9 units or does not exists. I want to use "Tube 2" as sound color, but when I choose "Tube 2", then unplug the power from the device physically, then re-plug the power, "Rich 1" is always selected by the device itself. This problem doesn't occur until unplugging the power from the device. Soft turning off the device doesn't reset this setting to "Rich 1". I may also try the other choices, but I think that nothing will change. When I choose "Standard", then Standard is always selected, so there isn't any problem with the choice of "Standard".

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Hello everybody. Can anybody please verify this DAC has the following bug? I am curious whether this bug exists on the other SMSL SU-9 units or does not exists. I want to use "Tube 2" as sound color, but when I choose "Tube 2", then unplug the power from the device physically, then re-plug the power, "Rich 1" is always selected by the device itself. This problem doesn't occur until unplugging the power from the device. Soft turning off the device doesn't reset this setting to "Rich 1". I may also try the other choices, but I think that nothing will change. When I choose "Standard", then Standard is always selected, so there isn't any problem with the choice of "Standard".

Yes you are correct mine does the same. Guess it's a bug in the software.
For me not a problem because I always have the setting on standard.

DarkStar73

My unit does the same thing, but since I can't hear a difference between any of the sound color settings, it's a non issue for me.

Last edited:

Plotwrist

So it's DAC upgrade time for me and this probably would be my last upgrade in the dac department.
I have an a90 amp and looking for a balanced dac to replace my current modi 3. Still not sure which dac to get.
Modius is the first candidate but since I'm looking for my end game dac, I'm ok with paying extra and get the su-9 if it's worth it.

I'm aware of the compatibility problems between a90 and su-9 (I don't understand why or the effect though)
Is the su-9 will make a better pair with the a90 compared to the modius?
The modius is cheaper and will stack better but that doesn't matter much to me if the su-9 is an obvious better option

nhs

Hi everyone,

I am interested in how good does the SMSL SU-9 perform at low volume level? I like the DAC to be used as a preamp and don't know if it is a good Idea, because @amirm measurements are only based on the max output level.

Thank a lot!

Lordi

It is my pleasure to highly recommend the SMSL SU-9. Great job.
You, dear guru, love measurements and, to put it mildly, slyly recommend this trinket.
In fact, we get the following ..
The first thing that I noticed on the SU-9 is the overall smoothness of the presentation of the sound in the entire frequency spectrum.
I would have wanted to hear a bit of an edgier character though, maybe just a bit of a stronger bite at the end of each beat.
the SU-9 makes the bass drum beats very full, but I would have wanted to hear a bit more nuance and texture with each beat.
The line out mode on the SU-9 is slightly louder, so I had to volume match the 2 DACs so that I wouldn’t be fooled into thinking that the SU-9 sounds better when it just sounds louder.
Aside from the volume difference, I also hear a slightly more textured bass region on the iDAC-6 when compared to the SU-9.
https://headfonics.com/smsl-su-9-review/

SashaR

Hello! Does anyone have in SU9 the Knob which is dangles like shown in this movie?
  1. It was 1) generated audible noise in the speakers, but now after I tried to push it inward, it does not cause "spark" (no generate electric crunch).
  2. And the second problem (weirdness) is also almost disappeared now: when the USB cable was disconnected, "DSD515" was appeared on the screen although the PCM was listened and not DSD.
Now it is almost OK, only dangles... Does the Knob dangles in your SU9?

Magnifico

Hello! Does anyone have in SU9 the Knob which is dangles like shown in this movie?
  1. It was 1) generated audible noise in the speakers, but now after I tried to push it inward, it does not cause "spark" (no generate electric crunch).
  2. And the second problem (weirdness) is also almost disappeared now: when the USB cable was disconnected, "DSD515" was appeared on the screen although the PCM was listened and not DSD.
Now it is almost OK, only dangles... Does the Knob dangles in your SU9?

Nope. DEFECTIVE UNIT. Send it back or live with it.

GuyLux

Hello !
I have a problem when using my SMSL SU-9 with USB connect
I will try to relate what is going wrong
I use SMSL as an USB dac connected to my computer, Samsung running Windows 8.1 x32 updated.
The computer reads Flac files from usb external hard-disk
The computer runs Jriver 26
This is a basic system, I use to play for many years, and before to try SMSL USB interface, I was running DXIO Pro3z as USB/spdif converter to Twisted Pear ESS9018 Dac
I had to download drivers (5.00) from SMSL website, and install on my computer
When USB Input is selected on SMSL, I can see the driver is reaching the USB input, some comments and parms : 44.1khz 32 bits, buffer size 512 default selection
When I try to play music, Jriver locks during 30-40 seconds before beginning to play, as if there was a contention between driver and device.
Usually , with USB Spdif interface , when music is starting, in a previous config a brief "buffering " appears on Jriver top screen , may be 1/4 second
With SMSL usb connected, the message "Buffering " is present during the lock, 30-40 seconds , then disappears and music plays
Does anyone have experienced with this kind of problem ?
Thanks for any help

dpippel

Hello !
I have a problem when using my SMSL SU-9 with USB connect
I will try to relate what is going wrong
I use SMSL as an USB dac connected to my computer, Samsung running Windows 8.1 x32 updated.
The computer reads Flac files from usb external hard-disk
The computer runs Jriver 26
This is a basic system, I use to play for many years, and before to try SMSL USB interface, I was running DXIO Pro3z as USB/spdif converter to Twisted Pear ESS9018 Dac
I had to download drivers (5.00) from SMSL website, and install on my computer
When USB Input is selected on SMSL, I can see the driver is reaching the USB input, some comments and parms : 44.1khz 32 bits, buffer size 512 default selection
When I try to play music, Jriver locks during 30-40 seconds before beginning to play, as if there was a contention between driver and device.
Usually , with USB Spdif interface , when music is starting, in a previous config a brief "buffering " appears on Jriver top screen , may be 1/4 second
With SMSL usb connected, the message "Buffering " is present during the lock, 30-40 seconds , then disappears and music plays
Does anyone have experienced with this kind of problem ?
Thanks for any help

Sounds like a JRiver problem to me. Have you tried using another app to see if you experience the same behavior?

GuyLux

No, have not tried any other application,
When I try a similar plateform, using the spdif input of the SMSL , adding a usb/spdif converter(DXIO Pro3z) betwen host and spdif Dac input , everything is OK
Something like a conflict with SMSL Usb input and Host software..but what ?
I have no experience adjusting the driver buffer size (many choices proposed )... what is important to choose ? a small size ? big size ? related to what ?
I'm gonna let a message to Jriver Interact Forum, hoping some help from developpers
Thanks !

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just got delivery of the SU-9 i got...HW1.0 SW1.2. Hope this is the latest version...btw, it sounds fantastic off the bat! Which DSD cutoff setting is to be used? Deafult is I think 37K or something...

Plan to pair SU-9 with NAD C298+KEF R7s+SVS SB-3000 - its a big sub but wanted to ask if I should spend extra cash on getting another sub - would that make a huge difference subjectively? New to speakers sooo....

Last edited:
Top Bottom