• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

cursive

Forum Donor
Just got my SU-9 today, and loving it so far. Upgraded from Atom dac, and really appreciating the sound and the additional features. I have it paired with atom amp for now, as well as a VTV hypex stereo amplifier via xlr, sounds great on both headphones and speakers so far.

Couple of things I noticed vs what some others said in this thread. I noticed some people complained the display can't be turned off completely, or can't be dimmed enough for dark rooms, but mine using the brightness adjustment can definitely be turned completely off. I dimmed it all the way down, but this actually made me afraid to leave it this way, as I can't see where I'm at on the menu anymore, so how can I possibly get back to the brightness setting on the menu if the screen is black? Anyways, just an interesting thing I noticed, not sure if it's intentional or not.

Last edited:

Aardappel

Have any of you ever seen something like this before on their SU-9?
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-16 at 4.53.50 PM.jpeg

cursive

Forum Donor
Have any of you ever seen something like this before on their SU-9?

I just got mine 2 days ago, but haven't experienced anything like that. Maybe try turning the unit on and off, or even doing a factory reset to try and fix the display.

May I ask how it happened, or what menu you were on when this happened?

Last edited:

Aardappel

I just got mine 2 days ago, but haven't experienced anything like that. Maybe try turning the unit on and off, or even doing a factory reset to try and fix the display.

May I ask how it happened, or what menu you were on when this happened?
It just happened whilst playing music and changing the volume - the screen reverted after I opened the menu and then pressed back so its ok. But pretty bad programming/design if you ask me...

gew55

I heared from a dealer in the Netherlands that the SU-9 has a problem with the power transformer and it could be making a humming noise ?!
Does anybody experiencing this problem ?

Yorch Hernandez

today I got smsl su-9.
contrary to what said some amateurs on this forum there is no comparison between this dac and a topping dx3 pro v2 or ifi micro idsd.
the Dac is superior to many Dacs even at double the price.
thank you to those who were in no hurry to give me advice on this Dac and his sound.
you are very kind ,, in quotes ,,.
Bleah

Hello as you are I wish everything well.
I'm looking for your help, I have the same doubts as you about high frequencies of smsl su-9, as you found them in your smsl su9? sound weak with lack of energy? don't they have much shine?
I'm also obsessed with hearing the snare drum, in a review they wrote that the snare was scary, do you think the snare sounds harder and present in smsl su-9 than in the average dacs like the ifi micro idsd you mention?
I have RME ADI-2 dac with an educated signature, the snare case is weaker and softer than in a second generation x3 fiio DAP.
I hope you can help me with those two doubts about high frequencies and battery box in smsl su-9

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello as you are I wish everything well.
I'm looking for your help, I have the same doubts as you about high frequencies of smsl su-9, as you found them in your smsl su9? sound weak with lack of energy? don't they have much shine?
I'm also obsessed with hearing the snare drum, in a review they wrote that the snare was scary, do you think the snare sounds harder and present in smsl su-9 than in the average dacs like the ifi micro idsd you mention?
I have RME ADI-2 dac with an educated signature, the snare case is weaker and softer than in a second generation x3 fiio DAP.
I hope you can help me with those two doubts about high frequencies and battery box in smsl su-9
if you dont like the RME ADI2 you can send it to me friend :)

gtb75

I heared from a dealer in the Netherlands that the SU-9 has a problem with the power transformer and it could be making a humming noise ?!

I have a SU-8 V2 which makes a little power supply noise the first time I turn it on after connecting it to mains power. I power cycle it once and the noise goes away until I disconnect and reconnect the power again. I don't hear the noise in the audio output, only from the DAC itself. It has done it since day one, but wasn't enough of an issue for me to return the unit since it's easy to correct (just cycle the power once). I am considering the SU-9, so it's interesting to hear this feedback.

gew55

I have a SU-8 V2 which makes a little power supply noise the first time I turn it on after connecting it to mains power. I power cycle it once and the noise goes away until I disconnect and reconnect the power again. I don't hear the noise in the audio output, only from the DAC itself. It has done it since day one, but wasn't enough of an issue for me to return the unit since it's easy to correct (just cycle the power once). I am considering the SU-9, so it's interesting to hear this feedback.
I ordered a SU-9. I will let you know how it works and or it has a humming noise from the Trafo.

Leejb1970

Couple of quick questions. What volume should the SU-9 be at to feed the balanced input of the SH-9? Or shouldI just fixed volume using Roon

cursive

Forum Donor

I've had this unit for just about two weeks, and I can report there is absolutely no noise from the unit physically, or through my headphones or speakers. Not sure if this dealer had it confused for a different product, but I haven't heard any reports of humming or power supply noise at all.

Couple of quick questions. What volume should the SU-9 be at to feed the balanced input of the SH-9? Or shouldI just fixed volume using Roon

According to Amir's measurements at 99 volume you get 5.3 volts output, which is perfectly fine to feed into the SH-9. Absolute best SINAD is just below that which gives you 4.7 volts out, and 121.6 SINAD. There is only 1db SINAD difference here 120db vs 121db between 94 or 99 volume, so honestly either way I doubt the difference is audible.

If you need 4.0 volts out exactly for some reason, which is a bit of a standard for XLR output, you can lower the volume to 94 to achieve that. This could come in handy if you're feeding a different amplifier, or other pro audio gear that is designed for 4.0 volts over XLR.

I use my SU-9 at fixed 99 volume with my SH-9 as that's easiest, and it sounds wonderful. On low gain, I seem to end up between 20-30 volume on the SH-9 most of the time with Hifiman Ananda, and Focal elex, and maybe 34-40 volume with Dan Clark Audio Ether CX. Hope that helps.

elevensheep

i have had mine for a month, no such issues

Leejb1970

I've had this unit for just about two weeks, and I can report there is absolutely no noise from the unit physically, or through my headphones or speakers. Not sure if this dealer had it confused for a different product, but I haven't heard any reports of humming or power supply noise at all.

According to Amir's measurements at 99 volume you get 5.3 volts output, which is perfectly fine to feed into the SH-9. Absolute best SINAD is just below that which gives you 4.7 volts out, and 121.6 SINAD. There is only 1db SINAD difference here 120db vs 121db between 94 or 99 volume, so honestly either way I doubt the difference is audible.

If you need 4.0 volts out exactly for some reason, which is a bit of a standard for XLR output, you can lower the volume to 94 to achieve that. This could come in handy if you're feeding a different amplifier, or other pro audio gear that is designed for 4.0 volts over XLR.

I use my SU-9 at fixed 99 volume with my SH-9 as that's easiest, and it sounds wonderful. On low gain, I seem to end up between 20-30 volume on the SH-9 most of the time with Hifiman Ananda, and Focal elex, and maybe 34-40 volume with Dan Clark Audio Ether CX. Hope that helps.
Thanks for your reply. I'll keep it at 99 then. I've been using up to 50 on low gain with my Focal Stellia which is plenty.

Lucaxxaa

This is technical information about my desktop amplifier input:

Input Impedance: 100Kohms
Input Sensitivity: 500mV at 1KHz and 8 ohms for 100 watt output

Is right for DAC output on RCA?

Top Bottom