• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

elmura

What is going on here?
Why is impedance going from 122 Ohms upto 3kHz, then going NUTS!
Could it be negative feedback trying to get a hold on things?
1601373435322.png

xmal

WoW, all SU-9s now sold out on SHENZHENAUDIO release day. Looking forward to getting some user feedback of the unit.

Veri

Master Contributor
WoW, all SU-9s now sold out on SHENZHENAUDIO release day. Looking forward to getting some user feedback of the unit.
I'm not sure sales ever started, it's been SOLD THROUGH from the beginning...

xmal

I'm not sure sales ever started, it's been SOLD THROUGH from the beginning...

I did see that. I was assuming it meant "Sold Out". I am quite tempted to buy, that is why I looked.

cecelo01

Google Chromecast Audio was priced at $35, it was on sale for $15 just before they stopped making it. And that was a complete shrink-wrapped product with a built-in DAC. Why no one licensing this tech from Google to use in their devices?

Here, I added a CA to my SMSL M500 through the optical digital connection. In this way the M500 passed and have wi-fi connection. It was very good.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice performance, but I would like to see the trend with prices going down instead of up for the same product line. Topping is a good example of how it should be done. 450 for a dac is too much...

Last edited:

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
450 for a dac is too much..

Though the cartridge on my turntable costs multiples of that.

Not everyone has a budget of $1,000/1500 for their entire system.

I'm happy for manufacturers to concentrate on better, not cheaper. Though combing both is good.

hhkg34

Is there an audible difference from say, a D50s? About 10dB SINAD difference, and I guess MQA, for $180 :/

james_0075

weird - SU-9 is introduced at SMSL homepage English version, but in Chinese version there is only SU-8 today. Is SU-9 specially designed for export?

Palex

In October 2019 among the first I have bought M500 SW 1.5 HW 1.2. The whole year I correspond with the SMSL company and hifi-express shop (official shop). SMSL speaks return to shop, and the shop speaks write to SMSL. This scheme whole year. I can't lucky. For me SMSL, honesty and decency - concepts incompatible.

jaraheel

I bought SP200, (and two) M400 from Apos. All three didn’t run well for me, so I returned them. Apos was super professional, took them back without a question

RogerSL

Isn’t there already plenty of other sub 300$ options to consider? There is definitely no shortage of good performing ampless dac revied on ASR, what do you dislike of stuff like the e30, the schiit modius if you need, balanced, and many more choices.
E30 and Modius are both really good options. However, I was looking for a balanced dac with ES9038PRO chip and MQA. That feature-set led me to the M500 being one of the only options. SU-9 is now another option with this feature-set, but is more expensive. Your comment does have me reconsidering how important (to me) each of my three desired features are. Weighing options - thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Phony846

What are the big differences, if any, between the SU-9 and the M400? I know the chipsets are different...AKM vs. ESS, but what are the real world feature/sound differences?

Top Bottom