• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8s Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

kiyu

if you don't need bluetooth and coaxil, I guess E50 is a better pick, almost the same measurements but cheaper in price, or am I missing something?

jawbfl

if you don't need bluetooth and coaxil, I guess E50 is a better pick, almost the same measurements but cheaper in price, or am I missing something?
Yes, I expect SMSL to release a new line up to compete with Topping E/L50, they are part of the same holding? so I'm skeptical but inner competition will be beneficial to us, I have an SH9 and the only reason I'm not buying E50 yet is the look of the stack :/

Last edited:
Reactions: Sak

Ajax

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review Amir.

Now that they have answered the call for inexpensive high performance DACs it's time for SMSL & Topping to turn their attention to producing complementary streamers and power amplifiers

PeteL

Major Contributor
Yes, I expect SMSL to release a new line up to compete with Topping E/L50, they are part of the same holding so I'm skeptical but inner competition will be beneficial to us, I have an SH9 and the only reason I'm not buying E50 yet is the look of the stack :/
They are not part of the same holding as far as I know they are competitors. Where's that coming from?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Thanks for the review Amir.

Now that they have answered the call for inexpensive high performance DACs it's time for SMSL & Topping to turn their attention to producing complementary streamers and power amplifiers
SMSL has a streamer, Toppung have power amps

Seysin

Looks like the SU-8s has better multitone measurements than Topping E50 in the low frequencies. Isn't that more important than the slightly higher SINAD of E50?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Looks like the SU-8s has better multitone measurements than Topping E50 in the low frequencies. Isn't that more important than the slightly higher SINAD of E50?
They are, overall, way more alike than different, and I would really struggle to proclaim one a clear winner. The SU-8s has more filter choices and even better jitter, but also a bit more of an "ESS hump". What you see as higher low-frequency IMD may not actually be real but rather some sort of FFT / windowing related analysis artifact.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice size, nice price, great measurements, remote control, Bluetooth support, but once again engineers are baffled by the illusive trigger out technology.

- Rich
Did u mean elusive? If so I agree-that would make these devices immensely more functional for most of us who need to use that for powering on/off power amps.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did u mean elusive? If so I agree-that would make these devices immensely more functional for most of us who need to use that for powering on/off power amps.

Good point, but I think the illusive may be best, I beginning to wonder if they believe that trigger outs exist :p
I suppose with Bluetooth you can justify a remote control and without a trigger.

- Rich

Last edited:

jawbfl

They are not part of the same holding as far as I know they are competitors. Where's that coming from?
I remember reading it a few times, now that I searched it I couldn't find a link between the two but couldn't also find any official filings, also it's not a strange concept, many holdings create competition with sub brands since it has lots of advantages, but with no data can't say they are or aren't.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point, but I think the illusive may be best, I beginning to wonder if they believe that trigger outs exist :p
I suppose with Bluetooth you can justify a remote control and without a trigger.

- Rich
Ah! Didn't get your drift there. Agree.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah! Didn't get your drift there. Agree.

I am not a headphone person. Does balanced outs delivering 4 volts have any value for headphones or is it there to support amplifiers?

- Rich

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not a headphone person. Does balanced outs delivering 4 volts have any value for headphones or is it there to support amplifiers?

- Rich
On my HP rig I use the XLR out 4 V from DAC (initially D70-now D10B) to HP amp (THX 789). Of course one can sent the 4V out via XLR to a power amp, which I do in the main system w/ the D70>Schitt Freya+>VTV Purifi. Keeps the chain balanced t/o.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I always forget to ask this from members who use an ESS-based DAC: Just how audible/discoverable is this ESS hump?

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I always forget to ask this from members who use an ESS-based DAC: Just how audible/discoverable is this ESS hump?
I'm probably forgetting something but the DAC reviews I remember reading here with the hump are comfortably inside the green zone so you won't hear any difference between them and other green-zone DACs.

Come to think of it, the discussion of inaudible differences between practically transparent DACs might be misleading. It's engineering perfectionism as a kind of game, like using a scanning electron microscope to measure the fineness and consistency of swords' polish when all the swords are more than adequately polished for fighting. Amir's AP analyster is the microscope and the differences it can show are ipso facto the ones we talk about.

Top Bottom