• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8s Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

D00M

I got the SU-8S from Drop during the last purchase round. I received the unit 1st week of August, so I have used it for 2 weeks now.

Sources: PC with Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4 motherboard (using USB connection) and Samsung S20 FE (using Bluetooth).
Amp: Drop THX AAA One (thru RCA)
Headphones: Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser HD560S. I have other headphones, but these are my 2 main ones that I tested with SU-8S.

Sound quality: I cannot hear much difference between SU-8S vs PC analog output. This is DAC to Amp versus PC analog line out to Amp. Sound is very similar. It seems that it offers slightly larger soundstage. But difference is very small and could be subconscious. On the other hand, my Amp has some improvement that is noticeable. That is using PC headphone output vs PC analog line out to Amp. Amp definitely provides more power, especially with Sundara and Deva not being easiest to drive. Sounds fuller. And background is cleaner.

Styling: I like SU-8S chassis black color. And I like the blue LCD color scheme.

Menu & Interface: Menu itself is very easy to navigate. User input interface is a bit tricky, until I learned how to fully utilize single dial with push button. Rotating dial will scroll thru the options; push the dial to select/enable the option. That is easy. Some YouTube review said there is no way to back out to the previously level in menu. So just need to wait until unit times out. Ok, so I thought that was a bummer. Then I was trying to figure out how to turn off the unit, as there is no on/off switch. Long press the dial (2-3 seconds), it will go back in the menu system. Then at top level, long press will turn off the unit.

Bluetooth: SU-8S does not have LDAC, but offers APTX HD. Samsung S20 FE has LDAC, but no APTX HD. So I used APTX, which sounds fine. And no issue with signal strength, which works 30 feet away in another room.

Bluetooth Volume Issue: One major issue here. Whenever the unit reconnects to Samsung phone, volume will be reset to 100%. Wow, first couple times, it was dangerous for my hearing. I quickly learned to turn down the volume every time. Based on my online search, this is a problem with some bluetooth devices in Android. First, it is poor implementation in Android, which should not let this happen. And it is also device dependent. I believe SU-8S is telling the host to set volume to max whenever it connects, as SU-8S will control the volume. But since I have SU-8S volume set to max (99%) to be used with headphone Amp, this is a problem.

Build quality: Finish is fine. But overall build feels cheap. The dial feels light with little resistance, so doesn't feel premium. The unit is light, and 3 small rubber feet do not offer much grip. Yes, it has 3 rubber feet at bottom instead of typically 4 feet. So when I press the dial/button, the unit will move. Need to hold on to the unit whenever I'm accessing menu. Or use the remote instead. For me, I prefer to use the unit directly because it is right there within reach on my computer desk. To use the remote, I need find the remote in the drawer.

Overall: It took me a while to buy my first external DAC. And with this experience, I don't think DAC is that important. Since it is good to have a DAC, I think SU-8S offers great value at $160 - $200, for the amount of features included. In comparison, entry-level bare-bone DAC like Schiit Modi and JDS DAC+ are $110 to $130. And even mid-range Schiit Modius is $230 with less features.

D

Deleted member 50971

I've moved my E30 next to my MacBook. The new SMSL SU-8S is working with a RPI via USB for Roon (Ropieexl) and a Wiim Mini via optical, the dac is connected to my Onkyo receiver and I'm enjoying it a lot.
I’m glad you’re liking your SU, I’m also running the Wiim optical out to the SMSL. It sounds as good as my DAP into the SU via USB. Indistinguishable.

The SU-8s is a nice DAC, and as advertise it is as transparent as my topping D90. Just a great piece, I like the blue display, nothing not to like.

D

Deleted member 50971

I got the SU-8S from Drop during the last purchase round. I received the unit 1st week of August, so I have used it for 2 weeks now.

Sources: PC with Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4 motherboard (using USB connection) and Samsung S20 FE (using Bluetooth).
Amp: Drop THX AAA One (thru RCA)
Headphones: Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser HD560S. I have other headphones, but these are my 2 main ones that I tested with SU-8S.

Sound quality: I cannot hear much difference between SU-8S vs PC analog output. This is DAC to Amp versus PC analog line out to Amp. Sound is very similar. It seems that it offers slightly larger soundstage. But difference is very small and could be subconscious. On the other hand, my Amp has some improvement that is noticeable. That is using PC headphone output vs PC analog line out to Amp. Amp definitely provides more power, especially with Sundara and Deva not being easiest to drive. Sounds fuller. And background is cleaner.

Styling: I like SU-8S chassis black color. And I like the blue LCD color scheme.

Menu & Interface: Menu itself is very easy to navigate. User input interface is a bit tricky, until I learned how to fully utilize single dial with push button. Rotating dial will scroll thru the options; push the dial to select/enable the option. That is easy. Some YouTube review said there is no way to back out to the previously level in menu. So just need to wait until unit times out. Ok, so I thought that was a bummer. Then I was trying to figure out how to turn off the unit, as there is no on/off switch. Long press the dial (2-3 seconds), it will go back in the menu system. Then at top level, long press will turn off the unit.

Bluetooth: SU-8S does not have LDAC, but offers APTX HD. Samsung S20 FE has LDAC, but no APTX HD. So I used APTX, which sounds fine. And no issue with signal strength, which works 30 feet away in another room.

Bluetooth Volume Issue: One major issue here. Whenever the unit reconnects to Samsung phone, volume will be reset to 100%. Wow, first couple times, it was dangerous for my hearing. I quickly learned to turn down the volume every time. Based on my online search, this is a problem with some bluetooth devices in Android. First, it is poor implementation in Android, which should not let this happen. And it is also device dependent. I believe SU-8S is telling the host to set volume to max whenever it connects, as SU-8S will control the volume. But since I have SU-8S volume set to max (99%) to be used with headphone Amp, this is a problem.

Build quality: Finish is fine. But overall build feels cheap. The dial feels light with little resistance, so doesn't feel premium. The unit is light, and 3 small rubber feet do not offer much grip. Yes, it has 3 rubber feet at bottom instead of typically 4 feet. So when I press the dial/button, the unit will move. Need to hold on to the unit whenever I'm accessing menu. Or use the remote instead. For me, I prefer to use the unit directly because it is right there within reach on my computer desk. To use the remote, I need find the remote in the drawer.

Overall: It took me a while to buy my first external DAC. And with this experience, I don't think DAC is that important. Since it is good to have a DAC, I think SU-8S offers great value at $160 - $200, for the amount of features included. In comparison, entry-level bare-bone DAC like Schiit Modi and JDS DAC+ are $110 to $130. And even mid-range Schiit Modius is $230 with less features.
Hi, I’d bring the BT volume issue up to Support, that sounds like a bug. I would freak out, because it would probably toast my speakers as I’m running some high wattage amplifiers.

jaaay

Has anyone tried using the preamp feature for this unit?

I'm trying to apply an EQ for my headphones via Peace. But I need to set the preamp to -4.5 dB.

But the unit seems to only display volume in percentage (with maximum of 99%).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

D00M

I'm trying to apply an EQ for my headphones via Peace. But I need to set the preamp to -4.5 dB.

Is there reason you do not want to use the preamp in Peace APO? I believe you should do the preamp setting in Peace APO, so that your increased EQ will not result in clipping of the signal.

Reduce the volume on the DAC or in Windows can control the volume but will not prevent clipping.

jaaay

Is there reason you do not want to use the preamp in Peace APO? I believe you should do the preamp setting in Peace APO, so that your increased EQ will not result in clipping of the signal.

Reduce the volume on the DAC or in Windows can control the volume but will not prevent clipping.

Wow. I didn't know you could do that. Thank you for your advice :)

I'm pretty new to EQ-ing. My first DAC was a Topping E30 which let me set pre-amp on the device and I just assumed that was the only way to do it.

Top Bottom