• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 vs Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA

blodsbror

I know that there is a massive price difference between the two, so the comparison should be quite unfair. However both meet my needs for a combined DAC/Preamp with balanced outputs and a remote.

Has anyone heard both of these, and can comment if there is such a huge audible difference between the two ? (Assuming good quality sources and amplifiers) - especially $1700 difference :). I unfortunately have zero chance of demo'ing both, so am relying on others here.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would not worry much about sound difference. You should decide if it is worth it to you have a luxurious, state-of-the-art DAC shining in your stereo system or not. :) Otherwise, get the SU-8.

OP
B

blodsbror

Thanks for the reply @amirm . So you're kind of saying, that both are audibly similar. Interesting . As mentioned I would be using it directly into an amplifier, so if the volume control quality or output stages are a decent step up with the matrix, it could be worth it. Although I have to agree..the Matrix does look absolutely stunning in Silver!

Dave H

I have an SMSL SU-8 and recently had the pleasure of comparing it to a Matrix audio X. Neither me or my son could reliably tell the difference in my system (Biamped Neurochrome 686 amplifiers Elac speakers)

Krunok

Major Contributor
I have an SMSL SU-8 and recently had the pleasure of comparing it to a Matrix audio X. Neither me or my son could reliably tell the difference in my system (Biamped Neurochrome 686 amplifiers Elac speakers)

Nobody can.

OP
B

blodsbror

So you're basically paying $1700 for looks, build quality, MQA and likely reliably.

OP
B

blodsbror

Were you using both devices as preamps, directly into the amps?

OP
B

blodsbror

Thanks for the replies. I'd much rather then put $1700 extra into a better amp.

Dave H

Were you using both devices as preamps, directly into the amps?
Yes, straight into my power amps. The Matrix is a beautifully DAC, heavy and we'll made, but sonically nothing stood out above the SMSL.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Thanks for the replies. I'd much rather then put $1700 extra into a better amp.

Better aim for good speakers, that is the only part of the chain where you will actually hear improvement in SQ.

Top Bottom