• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Purchased from Shenzhen Store through Amazon as "new". Well the unit arrived home not output signal at all. Command not working also. Be careful with this scammers. They will not doubt to sell you a refurbished fault not working at all unit as "new". You all advised. And i was lucky i buy from Amazon (even seller is Shenzem Audio Store) so was able to money back. If i would buy from then directly or Aliexpress, money lost for sure.

Veri

Master Contributor
Purchased from Shenzhen Store through Amazon as "new". Well the unit arrived home not output signal at all. Command not working also. Be careful with this scammers.
Uh, it can happen that a unit is dead on arrival. Thinking they shipped it fully knowing that is a little far-fetched. These things happen. If every unit that is DOA means they are "scammers"... if you knew how many things get RMA'd at newegg/amazon/... all big online businesses would be "scammers" o_Oo_O.

svenz

I have the exact same problem with my SMSL M500 optical input from Samsung TV. SMSL definitely has a robustness problem on their Toslink input design. I have multiple other DACs that work perfectly with my TV.

Dang this started happening to me as well from my LG TV. It cuts out the audio every few minutes for a few seconds. I know the cable/tv are fine, since I feed those directly to my speakers without any issue at all.

martinenecek

Hello I bought SU-8 version 1. I have not remote control. Is remote control nesseseraly for all function and what remote control will be work with this SU-8? I find many remote controls but there is not declare functional with button C with SU-8. Is possible used some android IR remote aplication ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Alenzo

Hello I bought SU-8 version 1. I have not remote control. Is remote control nesseseraly for all function and what remote control will be work with this SU-8? I find many remote controls but there is not declare functional with button C with SU-8. Is possible used some android IR remote aplication ?
Hello Martinecku, arent you from Czech Republic? I dont have remote control either. I use Androind Aplication Irplus with selected remote control SMSL-RC1 with edited prefix code in every button (first six letters should be 0x486c). It works on my LG G4 very well.

martinenecek

Hello Martinecku, arent you from Czech Republic? I dont have remote control either. I use Androind Aplication Irplus with selected remote control SMSL-RC1 with edited prefix code in every button (first six letters should be 0x486c). It works on my LG G4 very well.

Hi alenzo yes I am from Czech your solution is great and fully functional I recommend it !

Last edited:

martinenecek

Hi guys I bought SMSL SU-8 version 1.2 but i have problem with optical input. No signal from my raspberry Digi+ no signal from bluetooth aptx HD convertor no signal from SB Audigy. So it look that there is problem with input on SMSL. USB and digital coaxial input is ok with 44.1k or 48k sample rate. Any idea fot seting or test optical input. Thank you. I have FW 1.6

Last edited:

martinenecek

I have question is possible connect XLR to my receiver and RCA to my headphones in one time ? Is there solution switch XLR or RCA output or it will sound together on output ?

martinenecek

Hello I have two SMLS SU-8 v2 (board 1.2) and when I reset to default factory I can see this:

Why are screen diferent ? Is it possible upgrade/downgrade firmware ?

Attachments

• Snímek obrazovky 2021-01-21 v 20.58.34.png
    Snímek obrazovky 2021-01-21 v 20.58.34.png
    189 KB · Views: 248
  • Snímek obrazovky 2021-01-21 v 20.58.46.png
    Snímek obrazovky 2021-01-21 v 20.58.46.png
    112.5 KB · Views: 253

Feyire

I have question is possible connect XLR to my receiver and RCA to my headphones in one time ? Is there solution switch XLR or RCA output or it will sound together on output ?
It will output on both at same time.

viper414

Just got the SMSL SU-8 V2.. Crazy pops when on XLR. I don't even have to connect anything, happens without usb connected, via PC, USB 2.0 or 3.0, or even when connected to phone. Issue is with XLR output only (any filter change/EQ or sampling rate change will cause a pop so loud, the speaker cone moves a lot and power amp clipping light turns on bright, meaning 150Watts+ was played for a split second. Problem doesn't exist on RCA fortunately and sound quality either on RCA or XLR(slighly better) is awesome. I think even slightly better than my Topping D50(which also has a pop although less powerful when sampling rate changes). Maybe it's the DAC chip..since they both have the same double ESS9038Q2M Chip. If anyone has a solution(firmware update) or even a physical tweak, please let me know. I bought this unit specifically for the XLR performance and to then use the Topping for my subs instead of mains.

Both DAC playing together:
HPF via Roon > DAC/PRE SMSL SU-8 > Cambridge 651W power > Magnepan LRS
LPF via Roon > Topping D50 >Celestion 6000 controller >Yamaha P5000>dual Celestion 6000 subs.

denydog

Sorry you have that kind of issue. I couldn't put up with that for long.

I am using a SU-8 V2 as well. It's fairly new, and I'm not able to use the XLR output yet. I will when I get a balanced amp, but that doesn't do anything for you unfortunately.

Celty

Just got the SMSL SU-8 V2.. Crazy pops when on XLR. I don't even have to connect anything, happens without usb connected, via PC, USB 2.0 or 3.0, or even when connected to phone. Issue is with XLR output only (any filter change/EQ or sampling rate change will cause a pop so loud, the speaker cone moves a lot and power amp clipping light turns on bright, meaning 150Watts+ was played for a split second. Problem doesn't exist on RCA fortunately and sound quality either on RCA or XLR(slighly better) is awesome. I think even slightly better than my Topping D50(which also has a pop although less powerful when sampling rate changes). Maybe it's the DAC chip..since they both have the same double ESS9038Q2M Chip. If anyone has a solution(firmware update) or even a physical tweak, please let me know. I bought this unit specifically for the XLR performance and to then use the Topping for my subs instead of mains.

LPF via Roon > Topping D50 >Celestion 6000 controller >Yamaha P5000>dual Celestion 6000 subs.
I use XLR to connect to an 887 amp and have not heard any pop as you describe. That you hear a pop with your Topping suggests that perhaps the DAC is not the root problem?

NoFuzz

I have used the XLR connections now for about a year, without any pops, no matter what I change in the menu or in the feed. Outputs connected to a Music Hall A70.2 and tested with Chifi Aiyima A04 en some other chifi amp, can't remember it's name. Inputs mostly from Chromecast Audio (SPDIF optical) but also experimented with laptop (USB) and CD player (Coax).

I'd assume that either your SMSL is faulty (at the XLR) or there is a problem in an other device in the chain somewhere...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Chifi Aiyima A04 en some other chifi amp
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we are not supposed to use the label/term, "ChiFi." Some peeps are using it in a racist derogatory sense and so the moderator and admin asked that we stop using the term. :D

Last edited:

NoFuzz

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we are not supposed to use the label/term, "ChiFi." Some peeps are using it in a racist derogatory sense and so the moderator and admin asked that we stop using the term. :D
I'm sorry for that, I wasn't aware and did not mean it in any way as negative, more as a positive thing! Can't edit my post though, can't find a button to "edit post" ...? Apparently it's not available if posted using mobile, could that be? Because I can see it in this -by laptop- reply :confused:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry for that, I wasn't aware and did not mean it in any way as negative, more as a positive thing! Can't edit my post though, can't find a button to "edit post" ...?
No need to edit but the edit function should be to the left side of your comment and slightly down. :D

Top Bottom