• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Dnmtsn

Oh well...
I installed the su-8 driver from that link. Now windows doesn’t see the DAC at all. And I can’t find it to uninstall...

Later...

Installed xmos driver again. Now Roon sees an ASIO SMSL and a WASAPI SMSL device
The ASIO clicks/pops on format change - exactly the same as with native windows drivers.
The WASAPI refuses to play on format change. Actually it will not play anything that’s not red book. Roon error is “failed to initialize the audio device”
WASAPI is set to exclusive mode in Roon. Any ideas?

even later
Found the setting for exclusive WASAPI mode in windows
Unchecked box
Now Roon refuses to play anything-it just runs through tracks until it gets tired and says too many failures... and I tend to agree.

by the way when using optical the device is invisible.. no pun intended

Last edited:

Dean023

Can someone tell me what version is the Amazon one now all it says in their description is version 2 xmos ?

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can someone tell me what version is the Amazon one now all it says in their description is version 2 xmos ?
Without a link, we don't know which of the many Amazon sellers ads you are referring to. But if the description says version 2 I would say its version 2 :D.

Be aware this DAC is much less expensive over at drop.com.

Toku

Major Contributor
SMSL does not distinguish between SU-8 Ver1 & Ver2.
Therefore it cannot be determined from the appearance or model number.
If you want to purchase Ver2 surely, contact your dealer. Or purchase it from a store such as Masdrop that clearly indicates that it is Ver2.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
SMSL does not distinguish between SU-8 Ver1 & Ver2.
Therefore it cannot be determined from the appearance or model number.
If you want to purchase Ver2 surely, contact your dealer. Or purchase it from a store such as Masdrop that clearly indicates that it is Ver2.

Good advice. If @Dean023 is in the U.S. there is Apos Audio: https://apos.audio/collections/brand-spotlight-smsl/products/smsl-su-8 They are worth contacting as a number of ASR members have spoken highly of them. And it's worth asking them if they will price match.

Dean023

I'm in Australia and thinking of purchasing this , but because I want balanced out I don't want some inferior product . I know if ask Amazon they won't have a clue , I might go with the M500 least I know what I'm getting . I use Tidal who allegedly have 3300 titles on MQA.

Celty

Drop has the SMSL SU-8 VERSION 2 back on offer for $185.00

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wish the SMSL SU-8 didn't have the IMD hump issue or I'd be all over this drop with the SP200 THX amp combo.

smithynz

I wish the SMSL SU-8 didn't have the IMD hump issue or I'd be all over this drop with the SP200 THX amp combo.
Just out of curiosity, what does an IMD hump sound like? I'm listening to the SU-8 V2 now (with Drop THX AAA 789 amp balanced), and I can't hear anything obvious.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity, what does an IMD hump sound like? I'm listening to the SU-8 V2 now (with Drop THX AAA 789 amp balanced), and I can't hear anything obvious.

It's more something people feel that they are supposed to hear, so of course they do.

I don't hear any 'hump' related anything.

I don't think I've seen any blind test results showing those 'obvious' differences once controls are in place..so don't feel like you are missing out if you don't hear it.

skoney

I just received my SMSL SU-8v2 from Drop, yay!
So........... what on earth are people talking about with this "Popping" Im switching between spotify and some high quality .flac files through vlc and i dont hear any popping.

Connected via XLR if that makes a difference. is there a way i can replicate these pops? i just wanna know. Installation was easy btw, i just downloaded the SU-8 driver from the SMSL website. XMOS ver 4.59, i see that there is newer versions, but unless someone says otherwise.. i'll just leave it at that.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I have different DACs and the smsl su8 is gorgeous. I don't care the hump, I like very much how the SU8 sounds. And I have plenty of other DACs, some of them expansive, and they are not plugged. It's not a prof of anything, but a kind of information about the famous hump.

timindy

I just received my SMSL SU-8v2 from Drop, yay!
So........... what on earth are people talking about with this "Popping" Im switching between spotify and some high quality .flac files through vlc and i dont hear any popping.

Connected via XLR if that makes a difference. is there a way i can replicate these pops? i just wanna know. Installation was easy btw, i just downloaded the SU-8 driver from the SMSL website. XMOS ver 4.59, i see that there is newer versions, but unless someone says otherwise.. i'll just leave it at that.
After about 6 months of use, I've yet to hear mine make any popping sounds. Gotta say though, never purposely tried to duplicate the issue, not sure why you'd want to.

Top Bottom