• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

FireLion

Under what circumstances is the mod needed or beneficial?
I am getting a v1.0 and would have no problem doing it. It'll only be used as a headphone amplifier source via balanced connectors.

enak

Hi everyone!
I'm looking for help with a serious problem with my SMSL SU-8 DAC.
As You can see on video my DAC S.M.S.L SU-8 V2 hits 3.15V on XLR output with almost every change made by remote, as: input/source, pcm filter, sound mode. It happens even when volume is set on 0, and even without any input signal! It happens also when I'm playing music witch bitrate changes. As a result it makes a very loud "clicks/pops" in my loudspeakers - I'm using very efficient loudspeakers (92dB), mono aplifiers without pre-amplifier, and in my case my dac is my pre-amp, so 3.15V signal makes literally an earthquaqe in my room.
It's not only annoying, but also i'm really afraid about my mono-amps and loudspeakers, the click/pop is just so loud that i'm afraid about my neigbours too. And about me because of my wife...
Anyone has similar issues with SMSL SU-8 DAC?
Set desription: SMSL SU-8 V2, firmware 1.6, XLR cables with shield connected to both plugs m-f, foobar 2000 and flac files. When playing music sound is clear without disortions, just those vero loud and annoying "clicks/pops" on every change.
Nightmare.
In that case i should turn off my monoblocks before I make any little change in my DAC settings, and turn them bac on after changes were made, which is just stupid.

Thank's in advance for any help!

enak

p.s. pls forgive my poor english

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Feyire

As I and others have said before, it's a known problem and also the reason why I'll be replacing mine.

enak

As I and others have said before, it's a known problem and also the reason why I'll be replacing mine.
Ok, now I'v read whole thread... SU-8 seems to be a piece of garbage. So sad. I had sanskrit 6, still have some sanskrit pro-b, and zero problems with them. So I thought that there will be no problems with SU-8 too. And I was wrong.

Last edited:

Feyire

What will you be replacing yours with?
Okto Research DAC8 Stereo, assuming they can finally release it. Many people have been waiting for a long time.

Gopman

I solved my popping noise with the video and mouse. I'm now using another system with Windows 7 instead of Windows 10. Window 7 system have USB 2.0 and Windows 10 system have USB 3.0 and 3.1. The DAC driver is the same and the same player. Yes, I'm using the same mouse. Beside the initial pop when turning on/off the system, there is no more popping noise.

exitonly

if i use xlr to rca imput in my amplifer, i get popping and clicking noise. i think that be cauded because xlr is 4v and rca is normally 2v. i cache using rca output. no more popping and clic sound. but rca output sounds darker and softer little blurry maybe because of the my focal 3x shielded cable is bad.waiting for a new lo-cap cables. I also wonder if this will do damage if used xlr to rca input

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
You can try to go this route...

1581869348097.png

Damian

I’m tired of waiting for the balanced SDAC and I was going to buy this SMSL for around 220 usd and I see all these comments about the popping noise. Is not recommended anymore? Any other balanced DAC with good performance? The D90 is too expensive to justify it at least for me.

Dnmtsn

Well I just ordered one after reading only half of the posts here... then read the others. I understand that optical does not make popping noise? What about coaxial in, does it pop as well? My PC has optical out so I’ll try that when it arrives... but I don’t know how a device with such issues ends up as highly recommended...

exitonly

i got only popping when i using xlr to rca. if i use xlr to xlr or rca to rca. everything works fine. using coaxial,optical or usb-.

usb popping depens how good or bad your pc motherboard is

Dnmtsn

i got only popping when i using xlr to rca. if i use xlr to xlr or rca to rca. everything works fine. using coaxial,optical or usb-.

usb popping depens how good or bad your pc motherboard is
Finger crossed then - I will use xlr-xlr

Celty

FireLion

I was very eager to try the M300 which didn't get enough love and the only review I know of was Zeos, which didn't have much tangible info besides it's good if you don't need a remote.

I think if SMSL made more basic flat designs people would like them more.

exitonly

do you use usb smsl su-8 drivers. asio and xmos. and software exclusive mode bybass windows mixer

Celty

Got mine and it clicks at each format change. Could you share your windows setup -drivers,etc?
Nothing exotic. Build 18362 Windows 10, with XMOS USB DAC Drivers running on custom iron - Asus Crosshair VI motherboard, Ryzen 3900x CPU, 16 GB memory. USB input and I've used both RCA and XLR outputs to a Monolith 887 amp.

Dnmtsn

I just plugged it into my windows PC. Roon sees it as a WASAPI exclusive mode device. I found drivers here http://www.smsl-audio.com/download.asp?p=1
Could you advise which to install? I mean there is an obvious smsl su-8 one but is there anything else required? Where to find this xmos driver?
(Btw, clicks are not loud but I would rather not have them)

Top Bottom