• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
You can test with your smartphone. Infrared is not visible with human eye but you can light your smartphone camera.
Put the remote on front of the camera and look at the screen of your smartphone. You should see light by this way when you press a button.
Try with another remote you know is working to be sure.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure if I missed it, but have measurements for the 32 tone input signal been posted somewhere?

Veri

Master Contributor
Not sure if I missed it, but have measurements for the 32 tone input signal been posted somewhere?
Well the measurements suite has evolved over time, so older measurements tend to lack the newer tests. Looking at how much is being measured Amir can't really go back and re-evaluate stuff, especially when already sent back to the owner.

phoenixsong

Well the measurements suite has evolved over time, so older measurements tend to lack the newer tests. Looking at how much is being measured Amir can't really go back and re-evaluate stuff, especially when already sent back to the owner.

I see... It is as I feared then. Understandable, but unfortunate nonetheless :(

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I see... It is as I feared then. Understandable, but unfortunate nonetheless :(
Well, would you be kind enough to you explain why these measurements seems so important for you (english is not my native language and maybe I am clumsy, so please do not consider my question aggressive in any way, it is just to understand) ?

phoenixsong

Well, would you be kind enough to you explain why these measurements seems so important for you (english is not my native language and maybe I am clumsy, so please do not consider my question aggressive in any way, it is just to understand) ?

I want to start anew with a well-measuring setup in order to recognize what clean, undistorted music sounds like. So far, after listening to some acceptable gear as measured by this site (ol dac, sdac, o2 amp) for some time, I'm now able to tell apart relatively unimpressive gear when I hear it. Recently, I returned to my home country for a short visit and at the audio store there my friend & ex-colleague was strongly recommending the ifi Zen dac. I gave it a 20-second listen and immediately took my headphones off, shaking my head. I have spent years beforehand trying to balance random headphones with random dacs, amps and purifiers. With a well-measuring setup as a foundation, it will be so much easier to identify what I like or dislike about components further down the chain, such as headphones, due to the revealing, reference nature of the components before. Another way of putting it would be to say that you get used to listening to unaltered music through a well-measuring dac and amp, and any headphones you pair with the setup will have their full character and capabilities revealed. It's akin to trying the best teas with pure water to recognize and appreciate their flavour, then brewing your own teas at home with the appropriate water, procedures, temperature and drinkware so that you can reliably find the teas which appeal to your liking without faulting them for something they are not responsible for (eg. by using tap water with a pungent odour to brew them). My personal reason would be that audio components are hard to find and try out where I am staying now as an overseas student, and in light of my limited finances, I would really like to make wise purchases and stick to the basics :) Hope this helps!

phoenixsong

Ah by the way English is one of my main 2 languages as well, so I understand :) It's perfectly fine to make unintentional mistakes from time to time- if anything, I welcome it as it helps us gain awareness about the difficulties that our international counterparts are facing as well as taken for granted aspects in our own lives, which ultimately expands our worldview, enhances our empathy for others and self-awareness, and enables us to see more meaning in life! Thanks for sharing about your circumstances, it's really helpful in steering clear from misunderstandings ^^ However, it wouldn't hurt to have more confidence; your manner of speech was polite to the extent that I feel any more would be a disservice to yourself :p

phoenixsong

If you are referring specifically to the 32 tone test, it would be because of my curiosity. I'm interested to see if, and how, the other measurements of a dac will affect its 32 tone measurements. Plus, I enjoy relating my listening experience with measured performance, to hear what the measurements mean. In the long term it will help me with my purposes as stated above

AnikBanic

Guys i'm getting distortion on SU8.
On volume 36 and above, if i play the song
(i tagged the time)
as soon as the drum hits i get crackle on my speakers

but if i put the volume to 30 or 33 i don't get distortion when that drum sounds hits

I am using the balanced output hooked up to EDIFIER S2000pro

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Is the gain on your Edifier too high to take in that input of the SU-8. ??

A quick look at its specs show an input sensitivity of :
  • Balanced input: 700±50mV
Balanced output from the SU-8 at 38 setting is 4.11V according to what amir has measured here. With approx 1dB attenuation for each volume number reduced.

Last edited:

AnikBanic

Is the gain on your Edifier too high to take in that input of the SU-8. ??

A quick look at its specs show an input sensitivity of :
  • Balanced input: 700±50mV
Balanced output from the SU-8 at 38 setting is 4.11V according to what amir has measured here. With approx 1dB attenuation for each volume number reduced.
what does 700+-50 mv mean, i'm guessing it couldn't handle the sudden loud noise

MRphotography

Hey audio science peeps! I bought the SU8V2 based on many of the amazing reviews and measurements this thing received on ASR and a few other places online.
Can anyone tell me though for the love of music how to get the damn thing to stop clicking and pausing as it’s switching between audio formats in Qobuz?! It is really making me dislike the unit as it is definitely taking away from my listening experience.

Other than that been reasonably happy with it. Appreciate some help and advice.

Feyire

The clicky/buzzy/static noise on sample rate change is not solvable, and also one of the reasons why I'm going to replace it as well. Which is a shame, because I'm otherwise quite satisfied with it.

MRphotography

The clicky/buzzy/static noise on sample rate change is not solvable, and also one of the reasons why I'm going to replace it as well. Which is a shame, because I'm otherwise quite satisfied with it.

Ughhhh I was afraid someone would say that

snowsurfer

Is this a Qobuz thing? Cause I use mine with Tidal, Spotify and my own collection via Foobar and I get no clicks or buzzes whatsoever? Huh...

Top Bottom