• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Bad Mofo

Would you guys recommend to connect this little Bender Boy via XLR or RCA to a NAD 326 bee ?
Would be there any tissue with the 4V Output via XLR by overmodulation/overdrive ?

Toku

Major Contributor
Would you guys recommend to connect this little Bender Boy via XLR or RCA to a NAD 326 bee ?
Would be there any tissue with the 4V Output via XLR by overmodulation/overdrive ?
NAD 326 bee does not have an XLR input. So connect with RCA. There is no problem with the signal level.

Bad Mofo

as you mentioned there is no usefull effect of having the XLR for my setup..
The Dac will be used for multimedia Living Room Hifi with DLNA Streaming of HiRes and connection with the TV via optical.
Im between this an the Topping D50s

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
For my the only advantage of the SU8 against the Topping is the XLR... So if you don't need it...
I am really happy with the SMSL in term of sound quality but I regret two points.
First is the screen, I cannot read it from the sofa.
Second is the absence of control on the unit, I need the remote.
It's stupid, screen is too little, but I have to use the remote because there is no buttons on the front plate.

Bad Mofo

Guys! i ordered a used, 1 Year old, Pro-ject Dac box S2 + -> for 135 Euros
Which should be the plain DAC Version of the tested Dac here with only 1 chip

I think that should do a good Job in my setup

SU-8 V2 + Monolith 887 + HD800 (EQ'd) = Fantastic!

The EQ is necessary cause of the HD800 but I've listened for 4 hrs+ each in the first two nights without realizing it. My wife had to drag me at 2AM each night so I wouldn't miss work the next day.

Celty

SU-8 V2 + Monolith 887 + HD800 (EQ'd) = Fantastic!

The EQ is necessary cause of the HD800 but I've listened for 4 hrs+ each in the first two nights without realizing it. My wife had to drag me at 2AM each night so I wouldn't miss work the next day.
Ha, I have done the same thing, different headphones, but same outcome - it is easy to get lost with music that is so involving.

Celty

There are multiple physical mods available (SDR comes to mind), but I use Equalizer APO w/ Peace plugin. Adjusted based on https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9o2f5n and still playing around with it.
Again we are doing the same thing with Equalizer APO w/ Peace, I look for EQ settings that were based on measurements for the same model headphone, adjust from there if my ears tell me to, but generally they seem to be spot on..

I have quickly grown to like this EQ software, it is so easy to use. I particularly like the ease of saving EQ "profiles" for each of my headphones (or facilitate quick A/B listening), with color coded icons to make it even easier to switch between. Loaded with features I have not even needed yet.

Squidgy

Hello I am new to this forum. Maybe this question has already been answered, if so my apologies.

I am thinking of buying either the SMSL SU-8 or the Topping DX3 Pro for use as a preamp- I have a Marantz 1070 integrated amp which has pre-out and main-in jumpers in the back allowing me to bypass the Marantz preamp. My source will be principally high-res audio files on an iPhone running Vox connected to the USB in via the CCK. My question pertains to default volume setting and whether the units recall the last volume setting when powered on. If volume always resets to max (e.g. 0.0 dB) than there is the concern that the music will come blasting on unless I manually lower volume (with remote) before starting a track, which would be sort of a nuisance. I am also concerned that at 0.0 dB the DAC may overload the Marantz power amp inputs. Can anyone shed light on this issue? Thanks!

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Well, I am currently using the SMSL SU8 with a Marantz 1060.

To my taste, I have an installation using "directly" the amp section of the 1060, avoiding the preamp of the 1060.

In fact, I use the XLR output of the SMSL... And a little box named Little Bear from Amazon. It's a low cost passive preamp.

Little Bear RCA XLR.png

Using the box, I can either or
- use the SMSL SU8 XLR output
- use the RCA 1060 preamp output (on the RCA)
Selection is done by a button in the front side...

And then use the RCA output from the Little Bear to the 1060 Amp Input.

The Max volume question seems a false problem to me. I always switch on the DAC first and check the volume and then power on the Amp.

Max volume on the SU8 is only set after a reset...

Concerning the inout stage of the amp, if I want to be 0.0dB on the SMSL SU8, no problem, I can use the pot on the Little Bear :

Front.png

I also would like to add... I know we are on audio SCIENCE review... Results are superb to my taste, and the near 50 year old Marantz is surprising good on the amp section. Preamp should by sorted (I think a recap and some transistors) but I use it sometimes for the vinyles.

Last edited:

Squidgy

Thank you for the quick response! I like the idea of the passive preamp, although I don't see myself needing to use any of the Marantz inputs. I was using an Airport Express analog audio out into the AUX input on the Marantz (so I can stream from my iPhone) but with the SU-8 I can send the AE optical out into the toslink on the DAC and use the SU-8 to switch between toslink and USB (as well as control volume remotely). Another member posted something about the default volume on the DX3 Pro being -30 dB but I could not find anything similar regarding the SU-8.

Tonedef

I recently purchased a SU-8 DAC . I am having difficulty in getting the remote to work. Having read the manual, I have pressed button 'C', but the remote still doesn't function. Any ideas? Ta

Celty

I recently purchased a SU-8 DAC . I am having difficulty in getting the remote to work. Having read the manual, I have pressed button 'C', but the remote still doesn't function. Any ideas? Ta
At the risk of stating the obvious, did you check the batteries?

Top Bottom