• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Another stupid question, but is there a such a thing as a variable RCA out splitter? Or, less stupidly put, I'd love to be able to connect the SU-8 to the RCA input of the SP200 but also to my Onkyo A-9010 line in. Would that be possible?
The only reason I'm asking is that I don't currently have any balanced headphones
You can perfectly use standard headphones with amplifiers balanced inputs.
Why not using XLR for su8 to SP200 and rca for su8 to a-9010?

olinko

You can perfectly use standard headphones with amplifiers balanced inputs.
Why not using XLR for su8 to SP200 and rca for su8 to a-9010?
I thought plugging in unbalanced headphones into balanced is a no-no. Guess it's the other way around?
But if that's the case, problem solved, I guess

EDIT: maybe I misunderstood. Did you mean getting a 3.5 to 4-pin xlr adapter or just plugging a 3.5 into the single-ended out? Would it still get the signal?

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I thought plugging in unbalanced headphones into balanced is a no-no. Guess it's the other way around?
But if that's the case, problem solved, I guess

EDIT: maybe I misunderstood. Did you mean getting a 3.5 to 4-pin xlr adapter or just plugging a 3.5 into the single-ended out? Would it still get the signal?
As far as I understand, your headphones cable is single ended, so plug it to the single ended output. That doesn't prevent you to use the balanced input.
There is no direct link inside the amp between balanced / single inputs and outputs. All 4 combinations are possible:
balanced in -> balanced out
balanced in -> single out
single in -> balanced out
single in -> single out

olinko

I did not know this, thought it was only balanced in - balanced out (single in - single out), thanks!

Celty

Am I correct in thinking this at $170.00 is the best option out there right now for a reasonably priced, yet high quality balanced XLR DAC?

Shane D

Forum Donor
Am I correct in thinking this at $170.00 is the best option out there right now for a reasonably priced, yet high quality balanced XLR DAC?

I would think so, but honestly, there is ALWAYS something better out there. You can literally keep hunting and researching forever. I think it's a great machine at a very good price.

Shane D

PS: 11.11 might reveal even better deals tomorrow.

Toku

Major Contributor
SU-8 is planned and sold by Shenzhen Audio, but the SU-8 with a different design is introduced on Twitter's @SMSL_Official page. Is SU-8 in this photo a new model? I expect it very much because the price of SU-8 Version2 has recently decreased.
Is this an additional model using the rumored ES9038Pro?

EI64Ev9VAAAo-3g.jpg

Daverz

Major Contributor
SU-8 is planned and sold by Shenzhen Audio, but the SU-8 with a different design is introduced on Twitter's @SMSL_Official page. Is SU-8 in this photo a new model? I expect it very much because the price of SU-8 Version2 has recently decreased.
Is this an additional model using the rumored ES9038Pro?

View attachment 38511

So the volume is in a dinky font in the upper left? I was hoping for something I could see across the room.

Celty

I just ordered one from Apos and have to say CJ is great! Approved the price match to Drop, immediately, and completed the deduction right away. (Please note I am in no way affiliated with Apos, just a happy customer)

So after jumping on the Monolith THX 887 that came in stock today, I now have my DAC :) . Excitedly awaiting hearing this pairing.

Shane D

Forum Donor
Unfortunately I did not have any luck with CJ. They are not selling into Canada, at this point.:(

Shane D

Celty

Unfortunately I did not have any luck with CJ. They are not selling into Canada, at this point.:(

Shane D
Well darn, that is a shame. Although I have primarily only spent time in Canada fishing at La Ronge and Kississing Lake, you live in a beautiful country.

My favorite Canadian quote (When ordering a burger and fries): "Want gravy on those fries, eh?"
My favorite sport sightings in Canada: Beyond the anticipated Hockey facilities, the number of very small towns with indoor Curling buildings.

Last edited:

Shane D

Forum Donor
Thank you. I guess they don't have Canadian distribution rights, for now. You will like the DAC. I bought it a few months ago from Shenzhen Audio. I contacted Apos about the SMSL SP200. I ended buying from Shenzhen Audio via their AliExpress store.

Shane D

ADNX30

I think there's something wrong with my SU8. Today I wanted to connect it normally via USB, now the small screen only says "unlock". Windows doesn't recognize the DAC either. Is it now completely defective?

Celty

I think there's something wrong with my SU8. Today I wanted to connect it normally via USB, now the small screen only says "unlock". Windows doesn't recognize the DAC either. Is it now completely defective?
Might help to share what you tried so far to get it working, so folk will have more to go on with suggestions. For instance, the most obvious step you have almost certainly tried of shutting everything down, checking the cable connections or a replacing with a spare cable if you have one, turning on the DAC, then booting the PC.

Failing that perhaps attempting a factory reset:
"Factory Reset:Connect the power wire when pressing the power button, until screen shows logo."

Last edited:

ADNX30

I tried resetting it, but it didn't help. I tested 3 different USB cables, but none worked. The funny thing is that the SU-8 worked perfectly about 3-4 days after unpacking and on the 5th day the connection was suddenly broken (on my Windows PC). Sometimes the display shows something different each time, either the status "unlocked" or the normal "44.1khz", nevertheless Windows and Mac don't recognize a connected device. Surely I caught a defective unit....not a good start with my first SMSL product...

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried resetting it, but it didn't help. I tested 3 different USB cables, but none worked. The funny thing is that the SU-8 worked perfectly about 3-4 days after unpacking and on the 5th day the connection was suddenly broken (on my Windows PC). Sometimes the display shows something different each time, either the status "unlocked" or the normal "44.1khz", nevertheless Windows and Mac don't recognize a connected device. Surely I caught a defective unit....not a good start with my first SMSL product...
Send it home and wait a few weeks - something better is coming soon.

Celty

Are you SU-8 owners using the Windows stock drivers or the XMOS_USBAudio_v4.47.0.exe drivers they have for download for the SU-8?

Top Bottom