• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

AnikBanic

I need help, i'm on the new XMOS driver from SMSL page and the issue is, when i use asio from fl studio and close flstudio, i can't use any windows audio stuff which is odd because i'm no longer in asio as i quit fl studio

The only way to fix this is go to windows audio control panel and change the bit rate and somehow this releases the dac from asio

I can't keep on doing this

Veri

Master Contributor
I need help, i'm on the new XMOS driver from SMSL page and the issue is, when i use asio from fl studio and close flstudio, i can't use any windows audio stuff which is odd because i'm no longer in asio as i quit fl studio

The only way to fix this is go to windows audio control panel and change the bit rate and somehow this releases the dac from asio

I can't keep on doing this
Probably a windows service is keeping your device in exclusive mode state, keeping other applications from taking control of your device :/

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Had a discussion here about the importance of DAC chips in well implemented boxes and the feedback received was that as far as the SINAD is great, all DACs and DAC chips should sound the same (I said I found the SU8 a bit edgy on treble asked if the SMSL M500 with it's pro chip would be a noticable upgrade to the SU8 - provided I EQ the Headphone edginess).

Have a look at the below video that contradicts that notion - it's from PS Audio:

What it essentially says is that the DAC chip used DOES make a huge difference in sound quality.

digititus

Paul McGowan / Ted Smith are the Andy Warhol's of modern DAC design. Art over engineering every time!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Had a discussion here about the importance of DAC chips in well implemented boxes and the feedback received was that as far as the SINAD is great, all DACs and DAC chips should sound the same (I said I found the SU8 a bit edgy on treble asked if the SMSL M500 with it's pro chip would be a noticable upgrade to the SU8 - provided I EQ the Headphone edginess).

Have a look at the below video that contradicts that notion - it's from PS Audio:

What it essentially says is that the DAC chip used DOES make a huge difference in sound quality.

You going to keep posting this on different threads?
Mr. McGowan is a salesman.

ADNX30

I just got the SU-8 anniversary edition, but there are problems between the Toslink Input of the SU-8 and the optical output of my Sony KDL40BX400 TV. When I play any sound through the PS4 (PCM already activated) whether it is spotify or just the system sound of the console, every 1 or 2 minutes the sound begins to stutter for about 5 seconds and then goes back to normal again.
The optical cable is fine, I hooked up my old DVD player with the su 8 via optical and it worked perfectly. TV settings are also correct with PCM enabled, TV Speakers disabled and AV system via optical enabled. Unfortunately my PS4 slim model doesn't have an optical out to connect it that way.

Does anybody have an idea what causes this problem? It's driving me crazy since two days :( I guess the optical output of the tv might be broken.

Veri

Master Contributor
I just got the SU-8 anniversary edition, but there are problems between the Toslink Input of the SU-8 and the optical output of my Sony KDL40BX400 TV. When I play any sound through the PS4 (PCM already activated) whether it is spotify or just the system sound of the console, every 1 or 2 minutes the sound begins to stutter for about 5 seconds and then goes back to normal again.
The optical cable is fine, I hooked up my old DVD player with the su 8 via optical and it worked perfectly. TV settings are also correct with PCM enabled, TV Speakers disabled and AV system via optical enabled. Unfortunately my PS4 slim model doesn't have an optical out to connect it that way.

Does anybody have an idea what causes this problem? It's driving me crazy since two days :( I guess the optical output of the tv might be broken.
I think it means the SU-8 reclock loop circuit is not working out for the signal you're feeding it. It might be because the source is particularly crappy, yes. On my Burson Swing with same DAC chip, I can select DPLL sensitivity, being high, medium or low. Unfortunately you cannot increase this on the SU-8...

Toku

Major Contributor

Is the TV OPT output set to pure PCM-2ch?
Are sound effects such as Dolby set to ON?

Mr:River

I think it means the SU-8 reclock loop circuit is not working out for the signal you're feeding it. It might be because the source is particularly crappy, yes. On my Burson Swing with same DAC chip, I can select DPLL sensitivity, being high, medium or low. Unfortunately you cannot increase this on the SU-8...
I have a question about audio quality: Which way would be better for movies / series etc?
1- TV >> HDMI >> PC >> USB Dac K5 pro >> HE400i Earphone
2- TV >> Optics >> K5 pro >> He400i phone
Never use the optics of my dac amplifier and not missing something.

ADNX30

Yes, PCM for tv optical and downmix to stereo (other option under downmix is surround but i guess that doesn't make it better). I will buy a new TV in summer next year (probably LG C9) and i hope that its optical output ist not as crappy as the one of my current sony haha (anybody here that has an LG Oled and can try it out?) Until then I use the TV RCA out to my passive controller, even though it's not the setup that i've planned :(

And I don't think that I have a broken SU-8 because my DVD player works perfectly.

Toku

Major Contributor
Yes, PCM for tv optical and downmix to stereo (other option under downmix is surround but i guess that doesn't make it better). I will buy a new TV in summer next year (probably LG C9) and i hope that its optical output ist not as crappy as the one of my current sony haha (anybody here that has an LG Oled and can try it out?) Until then I use the TV RCA out to my passive controller, even though it's not the setup that i've planned :(

And I don't think that I have a broken SU-8 because my DVD player works perfectly.
I asked you because there was a problem if the TV OPT output was not properly set to PCM 2ch.

I also tried connecting the OPT output of the TV to the Topping D50 and SMSL SU-8, but gave up using it because of the delay of the audio output.

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How do I set the Dolby or DTS / multichannel audio on? Is it done in the DAC or the TV/player? Thanks

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor

I have the exact same problem with my SMSL M500 optical input from Samsung TV. SMSL definitely has a robustness problem on their Toslink input design. I have multiple other DACs that work perfectly with my TV.

Tks

Major Contributor
Paul McGowan / Ted Smith are the Andy Warhol's of modern DAC design. Art over engineering every time!

If only the art portion even came remotely close to being something ALL THAT.. Compare a Matrix product with one of his, solely on aesthetics, I'd give it to Matrix every time for example. (Let alone the engineering difference to boot).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I will buy a new TV in summer next year (probably LG C9) and i hope that its optical output ist not as crappy as the one of my current sony haha (anybody here that has an LG Oled and can try it out?)

I have a 65" C8, and I just hooked it up to the M500 and no troubles with that so far. It worked fine with the Integra receiver and the Topping D70 as well...

Shane D

Forum Donor
Just noticed on MassDrop this morning that the SMSL SU-8 is back up and this time it is $170.00.

I guess the new model is pushing down the price of the "old" model.

Shane D

olinko

Another stupid question, but is there a such a thing as a variable RCA out splitter? Or, less stupidly put, I'd love to be able to connect the SU-8 to the RCA input of the SP200 but also to my Onkyo A-9010 line in. Would that be possible?
The only reason I'm asking is that I don't currently have any balanced headphones

Top Bottom