• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Shane D

Forum Donor
Thanks for the conclusion. I was thinking about it for few days, and that was the conclusion I came to.

I am quite happy with it! And I got my DX7s few days ago new for 324 USD which I think is pretty good price. But I thought, since I am planning to buy THX headphone amp either from Monoprice or Massdrop anyways, I thought I would be better off investing in standalone DAC.

But I think I will just keep DX7s. I like its functionality, sound, and design. It’s just that down the line when I do get the amp, I have to use Y splitter for my XLR output since my power amp for my speakers are also using balanced input. I just wish I can find good headphone amp with balanced input that also has preout in XLR.

But I think I am asking for too much ;)

I only had time to test DX7s with my 712Pro. I still have to test it with my HD600 and Sony Z7. I really liked it with my 712Pro though.

Well the SMSL SU-8 and the THX 887 are going to cost you almost double that (about $1,000.00 in Canuck Bucks). Remember the 887 should have regular availability, so you don't have to buy it right away. Use your DX7S for a few months with all of your music and all of your headphones. Then see what you feel like doing in the new year.

The only problem with that strategy (for me at least), is Black Friday sales and Boxing Weeks sales.;)

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There was a request for a properly labeled response of reconstruction filter in the other thread so here they are:

View attachment 18143

View attachment 18144
Hi @amirm this is really helpful but for for most people, which filter is best to use from a listening with headphones perspective...especially when someone can't tell what ringing is from what they are hearing! I've tried all and like Apodizing and Fast Minimum the best on headphones. Any opinion would be helpful.(My setup is Arya + THX 789 via balanced) Thanks

Meteo8

actually the problem is with a dsd album and I focused on that, tonight when I come back from work I also try other files .... Anyway I can say that I have the same problem on two different PCs, one with foobar and one with jriver .....

I did a loop back recording with my roland audio interface.
In Audacity spectogram view I see the clipping. I don't have any measurement equipment, but Audacity don't detect any input level clipping, so I assume this clipping comes directly from SU-8. I can hear this clipping with different headphone amps too.
Please look the attached image.
Can a technical expert please analyse this issue.
2019-10-03 14_34_30-Window.png

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

Paul Take

I received my SU-8 from Shenzhenaudio in late March this year. It has been running trouble-free up until today when upon first listen to my system today, there was a big drop in sound volume at my headphones.

I switched headphones and then headphone amplifier; no change.

Something inside the SU-8 must have failed to cause the output voltage from it to have fallen by a lot.

Just sharing.

Svperstar

Debating picking up the SMSL SU-8 due to having some issues with my Topping D30.

Question tho, in Windows if you go to sound options do you get the enhancements tab?

Enhancments.jpg

Oukkidoukki

Ookey, I promised some kind of review about smsl su 8. I have been comparing it to old rme adi 2, studio grade mastering converter from 2005 , testing different inputs, pcm filters and sound options of su 8. I want to be absolutely sure what I say so I keep testing still. Here is video of su 8 playing though.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Ookey, I promised some kind of review about smsl su 8. I have been comparing it to old rme adi 2, studio grade mastering converter from 2005 , testing different inputs, pcm filters and sound options of su 8. I want to be absolutely sure what I say so I keep testing still. Here is video of su 8 playing though.

How are you matching levels, and switching for the blind testing? I assume if you want to be very sure of what you say, that you'll be implementing decent listening controls...? Volunteer for switching?
Or, are you just evaluating basic functions etc...and not planning to give impressions of how they 'sound?'

Svperstar

If you go to windows sound settings does the enhancements tab work with the su8?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yes, I respect your scientific angle to the issue BDwoody.

It's a science site after all...

So, can you reply to the question? Are you planning to implement any actual controls?

Viper Necklampy

My test gear goes up to 1 Mhz. I don't do frequency response tests on DACs because it is boring as they are all so good. If you see a review and want to see it, just as at the time.
Frequency response on dacs are not boring indeed, it is so strange that i don't see any frequency response measurement of SMSL SU-8 on the internet, and might be a coincidence that you don't showed it up? That means that Su-8 might probably have a 'bad' FR handling. I would not choose a cheap dac like D70 if that would have a very bad FR for 500€, +-0,9 dB of roll off at 20hz-20khz is too much, for me, i would not choose a dac that do higher than 0,1dB 20-20khz, as i'm young and defenately can tell a difference between filters..
That measurement is important indeed.. I don't see why on some dac you show them, while on other not, like this.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
can anyone hear the linearity issue at the low end? it is definitely a bit off in the measurements.

AnikBanic

Hi guys, i'm connecting the balanced output of this dac with an edifier s2000pro which has balanced inputs. I downloaded and installed smsl su8 driver
I am on windows 10 latest version and i get distortion in audio random times. When i turn pc on and play music i get distortion, 10mins later i don't get any distortion in another piece of music. But i get distortion on another piece of music after. I also get distortion on windows sounds as well. This doesn't make sense as i installed windows 10 yesterday

idk what the issue is. im on smsl 10th anniversary version which i assume is the latest revision

distortion happens on random times, it's not related to volume of the dac output nor volume of my speakers as i hear the distortion on any volume regardless. I am also on 32bit 48khz and changing bitrate not sample rate helps.

You know SMSL hass a generic XMOS driver the latest one on their website non related to SU-8, is it still compatible with the SU-8

Oukkidoukki

I think I just installed that xmos driver and so far su 8 is working fine.........btw. Your edifier has digital input so you should use that for best sound quality....

AnikBanic

I think I just installed that xmos driver and so far su 8 is working fine.........btw. Your edifier has digital input so you should use that for best sound quality....
The digital input iglitches on 96khz files even tho it says in spec that the speaker can play it in optical input that's why i'm using balanced

Top Bottom