• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Nejiro

Hi everyone, I am a new member of this forum and I apologize if I use a translator ...... I have just received this dac but I have problems interfacing with my pre (Mcintosh C2200), practically if I keep the volume at maximum (38) on the dac on some albums goes into distortion, I tried both in balanced and in unbalanced and also to lower the gain of the input of the Mcintosh to -6db but nothing to do, I have to necessarily lower the volume of the dac and bring it type to 34/38 for not having distortion, I don't know if it is correct to use it like this ...... according to you it is defective? for the pre ...... just don't know whether to keep it or send it back, what do you suggest?
Thank you

Nejiro

Did you try another preamp?
Or even a low cost midfi integrated on the RCA input?
Thanks for the answer .... I haven't tried another preamp but I should use it here and with other dac I never had any problems, I would prefer to have something that is fine, I'm thinking of the Topping D50s but I don't know if it has volume control .....

Nejiro

From the characteristics it seems to me identical to this that I have, I would not like it to have the same defect, I hope not .....

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
For me there is two points. First one is you want to be sure the su8 is working or not. For this, you have to formulate an hypothesis and experiment to have conclusion. Second is you want to send back the unit and find another dac.

Nejiro

I think it's just a problem of interfacing with my pre because if I connect it directly to the end it's fine ...... if I wanted I could also use it with the volume a little lower rather than the maximum but I would like a dac that has no no problem, that's why I would like to find an alternative but I don't find anything at the moment on the price range of this ..... only the Topping D50 ......

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
If buy something else you do not have any proof.
If you can use something else, for example a little integrated amp, a receiver, an avr etc... And try the su8 on an input, you can check with another element if it is the su8 or you actual preamp.
If you are here asking for help but in fact don't care because in the end you want something else than the su8, this is not logical.
Anyway do want you want.

Sorry, I am a bit acid because I found the su8 is excellent and in the same time realistically priced. I would like you let a chance to this product in your system.

Last edited:

Dave H

I totally agree, it's an excellent little DAC. I've used the su-8 for the past 12 months with no problems.

Nejiro

I am absolutely of the opinion also that it is excellent, in fact I was surprised of its quality when I connected it directly to the final, it was going great and it didn't absolutely distort for that I don't think it's defective but only that it doesn't interface with my pre, since, however, at the moment I want to use it with the pre and I would like one without that "defect", that's all .....

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Maybe your preamp is defective. Anyway, it's better to not use a preamplifier between the su8 and the amp. You avoid noise and distortion from the preamplifier.

Just add a passive switch connected to the input of the amp and select su8 or preamplifier with it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi everyone, I am a new member of this forum and I apologize if I use a translator ...... I have just received this dac but I have problems interfacing with my pre (Mcintosh C2200), practically if I keep the volume at maximum (38) on the dac on some albums goes into distortion, I tried both in balanced and in unbalanced and also to lower the gain of the input of the Mcintosh to -6db but nothing to do, I have to necessarily lower the volume of the dac and bring it type to 34/38 for not having distortion, I don't know if it is correct to use it like this ...... according to you it is defective? for the pre ...... just don't know whether to keep it or send it back, what do you suggest?
Thank you
I looked up the manual for the C2200 and it has a lot of gain:

1568223983910.png

It only wants 0.45 volts instead of the 2 volts that the SU-8 delivers. So don't feel bad about reducing the output level of SU-8 until distortion is avoided. And do set the trim to -6 dB as you have tried.

Nejiro

Just add a passive switch connected to the input of the amp and select su8 or preamplifier with it.
I did not understand this thing well, my Mcintosh having the bypass function I could try to put the SU-8 and bypass the amplifier?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
You always can try.
The problem as explained by amirm is the input sensitivity of the preamp, lower by a good margin than the output level of the su8.
The idea is to use the volume in the DAC to have an output level acceptable by the input of the preamplifier.
I do not know your preamp, but maybe the bypass function is just a bypass of tone correction and other things, but using the input as usual anyway.

With this kind of equipment you can have your preamp and also the su8 in direct to your amp.

Screenshot_2019-09-11-22-47-26-175_com.android.chrome.png

edit: just check what is the MC c2200 on the web. Whaaaaa ! Beautiful, splendid, gorgeous!

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
And also, I am pretty sure the performance of the su8 are by a huge margin, better than your MC. So you win if you connect it directly to your amp.
But I can understand your prefer hear tubes distortion.

Nejiro

With this kind of equipment you can have your preamp and also the su8 in direct to your amp.
But then can I use the SU-8 remote for the volume or do I have to use this knob?
Regarding my C2200 it has the bypass function but I read the manual and it seems that it works only with other pre mcintosh and must have a jack cable connected to each other, the mchintosh has the input for this jack cable but obviously the SU-8 does not it has .......

Meteo8

Hello all, hello Nejiro, I do have a similar issue. I posted my problem in #1088 but got no answer. I use the SU-8 only with two different headphone amps.
Do you use DSD files or is distortion in all music files audible (PCM, DSD)?
I hear the distortion only in DSD files. I recorded this back with an USB audio interface and could see in Audacity, the input level was not to high.
It is nessecary to bring the volume down to 34 better 32 to minimize the distortion.
Hope somebody can test or give some expierience with playing dff, dsf files with the SU-8.
(I use foobar with SACD plugin.)

I did contact SMSL but got only one answer, what amp I use. After my answer I got no second answer.

Meteo8

Top Bottom