• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

organics1

Got mine just over a week ago...and it's on the way back to Amazon.de.
Soon after arrival I set it up and plugged it into my Neurochrome amp and my little Partaker B5 mini computer. Power up. SNAPCRACKLEPOP!!!RICEKRISPIES!!!! Or, more appropriately, SPEAKERKRISPIES. Luckily, the speakers were some cheap Edifier desktop satellites. The tweeters survived, but those small mid/woofers are fried.
So, I assumed I must have done something wrong. But after checking everything nothing seemed amiss.
I hooked up another set of cheapies and everyone played nice for the past week. Sounded really good, actually.
THEN...today I turned on the system and once again SNAPCRACKLEPOP!!!WOOFERKRISPIES!!!!
Since the first incident, I always turn on with the volume on minimum. This this time it happened a minute or so AFTER the thing started playing.

For the past few months I've used an old NUFORCE and a MYDAC without any problems whatsoever. Can't even begin to explain what happened with the SU8. Sad, because a balanced PRE/DAC is exactly what I need as I build a multi-channel balanced system that includes Linkwitz LXmini+2s and a dedicated Nelson Pass balanced electronic crossover. The SU8 was gonna tide me over until I got around to building or buying something else (like the Soekris 1941). The SU8 would have then gone into permanent desktop PC duty.
Oh well...best laid plans of mice and mad men.:(

Veri

Master Contributor
For the past few months I've used an old NUFORCE and a MYDAC without any problems whatsoever. Can't even begin to explain what happened with the SU8. Sad, because a balanced PRE/DAC is exactly what I need as I build a multi-channel balanced system that includes Linkwitz LXmini+2s and a dedicated Nelson Pass balanced electronic crossover. The SU8 was gonna tide me over until I got around to building or buying something else (like the Soekris 1941). The SU8 would have then gone into permanent desktop PC duty.
Oh well...best laid plans of mice and mad men.:(
Sad to hear about your unfortunate experience with the su-8...
Can always try an SDAC balanced on budget :) or go the Topping D70 route.

organics1

Thanks for the suggestions. The Topping is a bit more than I want to spend at the moment since I'm building 8 channels worth of amp power, and the Pass xover, and (cringe) all that balanced cable that'll be needed. o_O
BUT...since Honey Pie is suddenly feeling sorry for me I just might be able to get away with the D70.:D

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I am sad to hear this story. For you oragnics1, but also for SMSL.

I love China, lived there, right now back home but in the hope to go back there...

From my point of view these new brands in Hifi, with superb products at (a fraction of) the cost for an audiophile cable are a kind of fresh air in the system.

I hope your unit was an isolate case.

organics1

I am sad to hear this story. For you oragnics1, but also for SMSL.

I love China, lived there, right now back home but in the hope to go back there...

From my point of view these new brands in Hifi, with superb products at (a fraction of) the cost for an audiophile cable are a kind of fresh air in the system.

I hope your unit was an isolate case.

Me, too, my friend. I have high hopes for China's growing audiophile business. Especially what they've done with DACs---to bring down prices AND massively improve quality---is wonderful. Because they enable the entry into the hobby to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to pony up a king's ransom the Chinese, IMHO, will facilitate growth, and possibly, the salvation of audiophiledom(?:)).
I think we're in for some VERY good times. Short term and long term.
CHEERS!

Shane D

Forum Donor
Nobody ever seems to go on forums to say how well their gear is working so I wanted to do a follow up, I have have had my DAC for two months and it still works perfectly. My ZX300 DAP is driving the DAC, which is feeding a Loxjie P20, a Burson Fun-Classic and an LCX (in spite of the terrible review here, I do like it). It is a great chain and I just keep changing up amps and headphones regularly. Every change is a new treat.

One of my better Headphone related purchases. As opposed to the many past purchases I don't want to discuss.:p

Shane D

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
Nobody ever seems to go on forums to say how well their gear is working so I wanted to do a follow up, I have have had my DAC for two months and it still works perfectly. My ZX300 DAP is driving the DAC, which is feeding a Loxjie P20, a Burson Fun-Classic and an LCX (in spite of the terrible review here, I do like it). It is a great chain and I just keep changing up amps and headphones regularly. Every change is a new treat.

One of my better Headphone related purchases. As opposed to the many past purchases I don't want to discuss.:p

Shane D
I have two of these and they are both working fine.

mikolajek

Hmmm... Is this line out of production? I've recently visited SMSL page looking for the updated XMOS driver and noticed that none of this 3-piece set (SU-8 / DA-8 / SH-8) is listed on their webpage anymore... @SMSL-Mandy, are you able to comment on this?

There's been also a mess with XMOS drivers on the support site. I can see three different versions available for download: 4.47, 4.59 (listed as SU-8 drivers) and 4.67 (listed just as XMOS Driver). Can I simply use the latest one with my set?

Veri

Master Contributor
What are these drivers for? I am using WASAPI exclusive. Do I need them?
No, you need the drivers for ASIO (or setting things such as buffer size etc). It is not necessary since windows general UAC driver.

Oukkidoukki

Powercord seemed to be very short in su 8. Is it ok to change it for longer one or could there be something like amirms usb cord tests that shorter is better? (I suppose its ok)

Veri

Master Contributor
Powercord seemed to be very short in su 8. Is it ok to change it for longer one or could there be something like amirms usb cord tests that shorter is better? (I suppose its ok)
Absolutely fine to replace with generic cord.

graz_lag

Major Contributor

Whatever the power cord length will be, don't forget hanging on it some dry Red Chili Peppers, this creates a powerful shield to keep evil spirits away from your forthcoming SU-8 replacement ...
Good to know you've not let be down by Shenzhen Audio and SMSL, these are serious vendors.

1567847470320.png

Top Bottom