• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
SMSL SU-8 Version 2

Bass tones, dry 4/5. Middle, a hard (tiring)3,5/5. High problematic,nontransparent always sibilants (ssssss!) 3/5. What kind of ears do the Chinese have?
system: Amp: Rega Brio. speakers: Audio Phisic Tempo2. cables:Supra, Cardas,Nordost. Fuck the measurements, that's not listening. It's definitely not for audiophiles. Um, what to expect for $ 200 ?!?

Alllllllrighty then...

So glad you felt you needed to join so you could post that and get us all sorted.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
SMSL SU-8 Version 2

Bass tones, dry 4/5. Middle, a hard (tiring)3,5/5. High problematic,nontransparent always sibilants (ssssss!) 3/5. What kind of ears do the Chinese have?
system: Amp: Rega Brio. speakers: Audio Phisic Tempo2. cables:Supra, Cardas,Nordost. Fuck the measurements, that's not listening. It's definitely not for audiophiles. Um, what to expect for $ 200 ?!?

So what were you using before this then ? Or what are you comparing it to then ?

From your list above, your Rega Brio seems like a weak link:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/rega-brio-integrated-amplifier-measurements

".... The signal/noise ratio (unweighted ref. 1W into 8 ohms) was 73.8dB with a 22Hz-22kHz bandwidth .... "

Last edited:

kec

PS Audio, Nordstar Dac (so for computer speakers it goes ). Unfortunately, how much money so much music

THW

Forum Donor
SMSL SU-8 Version 2

Here we go again, another worthless “review” with absolutely no test controls whatsoever...
(Moderator edit )
>Forget the measurements, that’s not listening

Fundamentally what exactly is so magical about your ears that makes it so special and different from measuring equipment? I’m really curious to know.

>Nordost and Cardas cables

Ah yes that explains it, you drank so much audiophool kool aid, so much that you’re beyond the point of no return.

Have a nice day, back to our regular programming.

kec

Here we go again, another worthless “review” with absolutely no test controls whatsoever...

>fuck the measurements, that’s not listening

Fundamentally what exactly is so magical about your ears that makes it so special and different from measuring equipment? I’m really curious to know.

>Nordost and Cardas cables

Ah yes that explains it, you drank so much audiophool kool aid, so much that you’re beyond the point of no return.

Have a nice day, back to our regular programming.
I've been an audiophile for 40 years, I probably know something. Listen to your oscilloscope

THW

Forum Donor
I've been an audiophile for 40 years, I probably know something.

“audiophile” doesn’t mean anything. for one it doesn’t mean you understand the fundamentals of psychoacoustics and therefore also the importance of measurements and blinding.

your “audiophile” badge is not impressive to say the least.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I've been an audiophile for 40 years, I probably know something. Listen to your oscilloscope

It means you've been drinking the kool aid for 40 years. It means you believe what others tell you you are supposed to hear. It means you are in a hopelessly unsupportable position, but it means you will fight to the death in defense of your cult.

Nothing new... Always sad.

Reactions: THW

mt196

Probably being constantly subjected for 40 years to things that distort sound (like tubes or not well engineered amps) you don't know anymore what is neutral and transparent and you call it harsh.

P.s: I said not well engineered, not "cheap" ;)

Last edited:

THW

Forum Donor
also sibilance is recording and transducer dependent, I’ve never experienced sibilance or any kind of excessive harshness with properly made music and my equipment. my desktop equipment measures well and it certainly doesn’t sound “sterile” nor does it lack “PRaT” or whatever audiophile nonsense you can come up with

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
SMSL SU-8 Version 2

I will give you $1000 if you can prove the above based on sound alone.

Your imagination and improper listening test is what is responsible for your false impressions.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
SMSL SU-8 Version 2

Iv banned this guy, firstly because I'm fed up reading racist crap against Chinese electronics and now here against Chinese people and secondly because he's only here to antagonise members having no interest in ASR or what we do .

Naturally some react poorly to this kind of thing though most of you deal with it well I'm still inclined to feel this guy is not deserving of my or any of your time.

Oukkidoukki

I will be comparing su 8 against old rme adi 2 and smsl sanskrit pro (akm 4490) when I get it out of the customs. I have straight line from dac to powered speakers in acustically treated room. No tubes, preamps etc. Let's see kec.........I will be honest.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I will be comparing su 8 against old rme adi 2 and smsl sanskrit pro (akm 4490) when I get it out of the customs. I have straight line from dac to powered speakers in acustically treated room. No tubes, preamps etc. Let's see kec.........I will be honest.

Excellent! Do you have a multimeter, and a way to do blind switching? Those output levels have to be matched spot on.

florence

When they arrive just plug in decent headphones if you have some and listen to some good recording songs, please. I know measurements are important. However, how great a unit sounds vital "at least" for me. Thanks.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
When they arrive just plug in decent headphones if you have some and listen to some good recording songs, please. I know measurements are important. However, how great a unit sounds vital "at least" for me. Thanks.

A DAC at this level is transparent...without matching levels and not looking, results of subjective listening tests are completely meaningless. He would be reviewing his headphones...

Transparency is what you seek in a DAC, not musicality or anything warm and fuzzy...otherwise you are buying a synthesizer or effects box. I'd rather do any sonic sculpting to suit my own space, speakers and ears, thanks...

florence

A DAC at this level is transparent...without matching levels and not looking, results of subjective listening tests are completely meaningless. He would be reviewing his headphones...

Transparency is what you seek in a DAC, not musicality or anything warm and fuzzy...otherwise you are buying a synthesizer or effects box. I'd rather do any sonic sculpting to suit my own space, speakers and ears, thanks...
Alright. Thanks for correcting me, I'll keep that in my mind next time.

Oukkidoukki

Excellent! Do you have a multimeter, and a way to do blind switching? Those output levels have to be matched spot on.
No multimeter but audio decibel meter....I try to match with that.......my friend will change the xlr cables between the dacs then i guess which is which.......i dont have switching box nor wanna use one in fear of fucking up the signal path.........btw. when I said old rme adi 2....its not from last year.....its from 2004....first adi they made..

Top Bottom