• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

MWC

SMSL have responded to this question already, back in this thread (you can read it for yourself) by saying all SU8 now being shipped are v2. Amir had an early version for evaluation hence his pix.

heck

SMSL have responded to this question already, back in this thread (you can read it for yourself) by saying all SU8 now being shipped are v2. Amir had an early version for evaluation hence his pix.
Thanks for the clarification! I was trying to find answers but failed

klimal

Press the Power button as you switch on the power. The info will be shown briefly on the display.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 28381[/QUOTE]
I use Chromecast Audio for streaming Tidal through my SU-8 10th anniversary very often, sounds great and is very stable, no audio drops or glitches.
Hi I just realized this can be done and am really excited to use Tidal HiFi without the need for my PC to the SMSL SU-8. Do 96K streams from Tidal run as 24Bit/96K with display on the SMSL SU-8 via the Chromecast Audio? Am in the process of buying a mini Toslink to Toslink cable to do the same. I feel this would have a more cleaner sound than via USB using PC. Thanks

badyard

(provided that you have a good PC correctly setup for best performance in audio reproduction)
if your goal is maximum quality, then Tidal through USB using a program such as Audirvana is the deal.
Chromecast is clearly inferior in quality, but still enjoyable by all means! (I don't think it does 96k though).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
When you say Chromecast is clearly inferior in quality, what do you mean?
It will do 24/96... It's basically bitperfect optical. What's going to be better if you don't need more resolution?

Plus...you can group them to play sync'd which is awesome...

MWC

IMHO wifi is always prone to being iffy. Better to have a wired, reliable connection like USB. The future might bring better more reliable wifi and maybe for lower resolutions the future is here. It's certainly still not constantly good enough for Mch..

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Maybe get a better router. Especially at the relatively low bandwidth req'd for music. I can't remember the last time I had any issues with optical... So, you haven't personally used a CCA, because they're just not good enough for...what?

I see people dismissing them as if they couldn't be 'real hifi'. Generally, they never used one.

How do you run a usb cable out to the garage?

MWC

I guess CCA was an OK device in it's day for what it did. Personally I would not use one as it (any wifi based thing) can't reliably handle Mch music, but I realise most people are not into anything more than 2ch: streaming Spotify, and Tidal at best. I gave Tidal a trial: it could not live up to it's marketing promise to decode MQA. Not that I particularly want MQA, but I did want to give it a decent audition without buying any MQA hardware. CCA has it's own AKM DAC (I believe capable of 2ch 24/192) are you able to keep the CCA DAC out of the way when using the SU8?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If you're using optical, it's just a passthrough.

Ok device for what it did, in it's day... What is better for what it does today?
I believe if they sold them with the optical cable as well as the mini-mini, they would have gotten a lot further into the audiophile market...

badyard

When you say Chromecast is clearly inferior in quality, what do you mean?
It will do 24/96... It's basically bitperfect optical. What's going to be better if you don't need more resolution?

Plus...you can group them to play sync'd which is awesome...
I surely consider chromecast audio "via optical" as hi-fi and I think it's an amazing little device!
It just doesn't sound as good as (in my case) a properly setup PC using Audirvana.
You can try it yourself!

shoobopper

Are each inputs' volumes able to be individually controlled? If I were to hook up powered monitors with RCA and headphones with XLR, can they each be individually controlled? This question also goes for multiple inputs via XLR splitters.

jonmichael

There is only volume control in the SU-8. What you do with the output volume after it leaves the DAC is dependent on your outboard equipment.

shoobopper

There is only volume control in the SU-8. What you do with the output volume after it leaves the DAC is dependent on your outboard equipment.

I understand that it is able to change volume, I was just wondering if xlr and rca output volumes were able to be controlled independently.

shoobopper

Here’s the gist of my questions:

I have an smsl su-8 with a thx aaa 789 order processing. I am purchasing jbl 305ps. I am looking to interconnect my su-8 and 789 with xlr. My goal is to have each volume easily adjustable (preferably with the remote for the su-8). For the powered monitors should I:
1.) Buy xlr splitters
2.) buy xlr to rca for speakers
3.) buy a separate preamp (recommendations?)

Also some questions: Can different outputs’ volume on the su-8 individually controlled? (Is this the case with splitters or would I need to use different outputs)
Can the 789’s pass through volume be controlled?

Sorry for wall of text just trying to learn

maxxevv

Major Contributor
You could get a passive XLR switcher box. And just switch between the outputs that you're using via that box.
Pretty inexpensive for the passive ones.

This was asked on some thread regarding the SU-8 or the THX 789 ( can't recall exactly which).

Gyroscopics

Here’s the gist of my questions:

I have an smsl su-8 with a thx aaa 789 order processing. I am purchasing jbl 305ps. I am looking to interconnect my su-8 and 789 with xlr. My goal is to have each volume easily adjustable (preferably with the remote for the su-8). For the powered monitors should I:
1.) Buy xlr splitters
2.) buy xlr to rca for speakers
3.) buy a separate preamp (recommendations?)

Also some questions: Can different outputs’ volume on the su-8 individually controlled? (Is this the case with splitters or would I need to use different outputs)
Can the 789’s pass through volume be controlled?

Sorry for wall of text just trying to learn

I use this as RCA to XLR converter, as Volume Control (pre-amp), and as Switcher, all in one box for my JBL 306p.

Nobsound Mini Fully-Balanced/Single-Ended Passive Preamp; Hi-Fi Pre-Amplifier; XLR/RCA Volume Controller for Active Monitor Speakers

Oukkidoukki

Every box/splitter you put between dac and speakers will downgrade the signal quality...not much point to hunt high end dac then but as you wish.

Top Bottom