• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Shane D

Forum Donor
You seem to be well updated with your equipment. My candid advice...dump DAPs man! The Tidal App now does MQA on both PC and all mobiles and these devices do everything that a DAP can do and more! With a balanced DAC, i suggest use a direct feed from Tidal native app or Roon if youve got useless money lying somewhere) to avoid any sound coloration by the DAP. Just my 2 cents mate. I hope you work it out with the OTG should you continue that route! CHeers

I have spent the last ten year's putting together the world's best music collection (for Shane D).:)

I have collected almost every song I have ever liked (and I am 58) and continue to hunt for new stuff every weekend. My collection recently crossed the 6,000 mark and I love pretty much every song.
Except with Jazz. I have a TON of Miles Davis, but don't love every single piece.

I love my DAP for home and my LG V30 is for out and about. My music is all ALAC, AAC and MP3.

DAP to OTG to DAC to (2) amps to various headphones. Happiness for this guy.

Good luck with the DAC!

Shane D

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I agree...we all love facts! I just trust @amirm when it come to his own interpretation of sound and that it would be unbiased and close to what he observed technically..in comparison with the huge list of equipment he has been fortunate enough to have experience with. Hence the question. Sorry if it caused a misunderstanding mate. Cheers
Hell, the way Amir claims when testing those amps that he turns them up enough to get the ear cups flapping, I'd be surprised he can hear anything, lol. :eek::D

jonmichael

ok, I am stumped.

How do I unlock this dac?

I hit the power button, then the C button. USB dac shows on the screen. It quickly jumps to Unlock. Up/down buttons adjust volume. Then it jumps back to unlock. The volume button hit shows mute. Then it is back to unlock. The down arrow button changes the input, then jumps back to unlock.

Because it remains locked, Roon doesn’t see the dac, so nothing works.

Your help is appreciated!

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

SU-8 on sale on Massdrop right now. Seems like they are looking to finish the stock ASAP...lol... Though I don't think the Massdrop one comes with warranty... I got mine from AliExpress... Shenzen Audio.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
SU-8 on sale on Massdrop right now. Seems like they are looking to finish the stock ASAP...lol... Though I don't think the Massdrop one comes with warranty... I got mine from AliExpress... Shenzen Audio.
Been getting sold on Massdrop since it came out, I was the first to join the first drop, wasn't even on the SMSL website yet.
Not sure where you are getting the idea that it's like a fire sale or something, it's probably one of their most popular items.

jonmichael

[QUOTE="Mike Rife, post: 177021, member: 1844"]ok, I am stumped.

How do I unlock this dac? I hit the power button, then the C button. USB dac shows on the screen. It quickly jumps to Unlock. Up/down buttons adjust volume. Then it jumps back to unlock. The volume button hit shows mute. Then it is back to unlock. The down arrow button changes the input, then jumps back to unlock.Because it remains locked, Roon doesn’t see the dac, so nothing works.Your help is appreciated![/QUOTE]

After a few hours of trial and error, I finally got the SU-8 to "unlock" and to stay steady on the lighted usb dac video display, but my Roon Nucleus still did not "see" it. So, I changed out the usb cable (which worked perfectly from Nucleus to usb input on my pre/pro) but no joy. Nucleus core does not "see" the SU-8. It can't play from usb to a zone it can't see.

I reconnected the Nucleus to the pre/pro using the new cable, and the built-in dac immediately registers as a zone and plays fine.

This is a big disappointment to me. I wanted the SU-8 to work. Still do.

Not sure this is my problem or the SU-8's problem. If I can't figure it out here, and on the SMSL website, I will return it to Amazon Mon/Tue, and make a decision about whether to reorder.

Any ideas?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Don't you want try something else than Roon?

For example, you can try to use Daphile. If the SU8 is not seen by Daphile, it means something is wrong with the SU8. If Daphile is able to manage you SU8, it means you have a problem with Roon.

jonmichael

Don't you want try something else than Roon?

For example, you can try to use Daphile. If the SU8 is not seen by Daphile, it means something is wrong with the SU8. If Daphile is able to manage you SU8, it means you have a problem with Roon.

There is nothing wrong with my Roon Nucleus. Using the same USB cable, it plays fine through the USB input on my pre/pro. I have my Oppo connected to the SU8 with an Optical cable, and I will test that when I get a chance. I have queried the mfgr as to whether or not I need to install a driver.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Usually, when I want to solve a problem, I test some hypothesis.

For me you do not know if the SU8 is working or not.
I use my SU8 with Daphile, so I am sure if you test with Daphile your SU8 you will have a response.

Last edited:

jonmichael

That makes sense except that I bought the SU8 98% to play my Nucleus. If the dac won’t play well with that, it goes back regardless.

Plus, I spent an inordinate amount of time getting the new unit to unlock. That also makes me think it has a problem.

Last edited:

jonmichael

Usually, when I want to solve a problem, I test some hypothesis.

For me you do not know if the SU8 is working or not.
I use my SU8 with Daphile, so I am sure if you test with Daphile your SU8 you will have a response.

Just heard from the Roon team. They suggested I connect the SU8 by usb to a Mac. If the DAC is working correctly, it will show in the audio section of of the Mac’s System Preferences immediately. Have people on the way for dinner, will run the test tomorrow. Using my laptop, I can run the test in place, without changing my setup. Will post results tomorrow am.

Thanks for your input!

jonmichael

You're welcome. I've tried to help but I do not know Roon nor Mac...

So, following a suggestion from Roon, I made sure the unit was powered up and the video screen was set on "usb dac", and I connected the usb cable to the appropriate usb connection on the back of the SU8. I connected the other end of the usb cable to the input on my Mac laptop. A quick check of the "Sounds" section of the "Systems Preferences" of the laptop shows only internal speakers and Airplay, with no notice that the DAC was connected and operating. So, obviously, there is a flaw in my unit, and it is going back. I will likely re-order another SU8 once the return of this one is sorted out. And the adventure continues.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Thanks for the report. Sorry for your SU8, you will have to wait. A fench writer, André Gide, wrote something like "The waiting is the best part"...

mgiammarco

mine shows 1.6 :eek:
Hi,
I have a similar problem. I have v1.6 and with balanced output I hear loud bumps when I change source and options. Shenzen Audio suppport told me that this happens when loudspeakers are not "real" balanced and to use unbalanced output. With unbalanced output I hear no more bumps. But Fostex told me my speakers are "real" electronically balanced and anyway I prefer to use xlr output.

jonmichael

Oh, BTW, SMSL SU8 customer service is terrible at best, mostly nonexistent. Despite being a signed up "member" on their site, I have been ignored for 4 days now about the problem with my DAC. I was considering reordering the SU8, but now I am reconsidering my considering!

jonmichael

Mine came from Amz, too, but I mistakenly thought the original seller might have an interest in customer satisfaction. I was wrong, and the unit is gone back. Think I will stick with my pre/pro.

jonmichael

So, either I let hope override my first failed SU8 experience and order another one, or I get something else — such as the Cambridge DAC Magic with the XLR outs. The performance specs of the CA are not as stellar as the SU8, but the reliability factor is also in the mix.

My hope is that my getting two failed units is a low risk experiment.

Top Bottom