• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

HenrikPW

From what my eyes can see, the display seems to be a 1-bit monotone OLED display. Burn-in on in that respect isn't an issue.
Are you sure this is the case? The monotone OLED displays on my University's 3D printers show signs of burn-in (however, it should be noted that these are running 24/7). They are bigger display and maybe the smaller ones are less prone to burn-in, but i can't seem to find any info regarding this.

EDIT: Found an image illustrating signs of burn-in on an Ultimaker:
ghost_image_UM2.png.17c3af77034bc2deab8786730d14453c.png

Reactions: Tks

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can anyone tell me if there is there an option to have to have the display turn off automatically when the source/volume isn't being changed?

Yes.

Jaimo

The display can be turned off in the menu options. In the “display off” mode, you can check the sample rate, etc. By hitting the function button.

snowsurfer

Is anyone else getting some digital noise with the SU-8 connected via USB? It is like random "crackling" and I don't think it is the same as reported with earlier versions (I'm on "Anniversary Edition"), with clicking when changing formats/bitrates? I hear it over balanced to my monitors and on my headphones (AKG551 and Moondrop Kanas Pro). I am sure it is not a ground loop, it doesn't sound at all like one, but I've tested it just in case, also tried connecting everything to a (real) pure sine wave UPS, different outlets, etc. Also tested with several headphone amps, so we can rule that out.

Since my current PC does not have optical out I went and ordered a PCIe sound card in order to connect vía optical, I'm 99% sure that it should fix it.

Tks

Major Contributor
Are you sure this is the case? The monotone OLED displays on my University's 3D printers show signs of burn-in (however, it should be noted that these are running 24/7). They are bigger display and maybe the smaller ones are less prone to burn-in, but i can't seem to find any info regarding this.

EDIT: Found an image illustrating signs of burn-in on an Ultimaker:

Ahh I see, you are correct, I didn’t know the display actually revered contrast of background, that would reveal the burn in. Sorry I was under the impression there were simply areas of the screen the text was fixed, and wouldn’t do this sort of inverse. Though, interestingly I think this is another SKU. But you’re right, burn in is inevitable in that case.

One thing about OLED people seem to misconstrue is that, it’s not actual burn in as we understand it from the CRT/Plasma days. This is simply the issue of the organic material being depleted per pixel. This is why you don’t see any serious attempts at making OLED monitors (far too manny static elements in the PC sphere). The trick is to have all pixels evenly deplete their diode matter. With these sorts of displays where no anti-retention techniques exists (like pixel shifting and such) burn in is inevitable regardless if you turn the screen on and off in attempt to mitigate the issue. All you’re doing is whatwhat delaying the ordeal.

Screen savers have sadly fallen out of favor in the last two decades. I have a feeling, if OLED is to ever become a thing again, they will make a reappearance.

Sorry for my misinformation prior, I never actually seen a 1-bit matrix fall off a cliff in terms of brightness specs this quick for these devices. They must be old formulas or whatnot seeing as how they’re small enough displays for anyone to feel they would require much updating. I’ve seen color gamut fade fast, but brightness I wouldn’t think would yield examples of “burn out” already.

Cortes

Why the SU-8 output is so high?. I don't think is voltage, since that's a standard 2Vrms on RCA. Is it an impedance mistmatch with the amplifier?. I have to keep the volume knob of the amp all way down.

Jaimo

Is anyone else getting some digital noise with the SU-8 connected via USB? It is like random "crackling" and I don't think it is the same as reported with earlier versions (I'm on "Anniversary Edition"), with clicking when changing formats/bitrates? I hear it over balanced to my monitors and on my headphones (AKG551 and Moondrop Kanas Pro). I am sure it is not a ground loop, it doesn't sound at all like one, but I've tested it just in case, also tried connecting everything to a (real) pure sine wave UPS, different outlets, etc. Also tested with several headphone amps, so we can rule that out.

Since my current PC does not have optical out I went and ordered a PCIe sound card in order to connect vía optical, I'm 99% sure that it should fix it.

It could be a PC issue. Check your CPU, HDD and memory utilization. Depending on your audio interface, you may be able to adjust your buffer size. Try a different PC if you can.

snowsurfer

It could be a PC issue. Check your CPU, HDD and memory utilization. Depending on your audio interface, you may be able to adjust your buffer size. Try a different PC if you can.

Thank you for the reply. I always have hardware monitoring software up, since it is the same one that controls my digital fan controller, and my CPU, HDD and memory utilization are not a problem at all, that can be discarded. ([email protected], 32Gb, 1Tb SATA SSD and 4 big HDs, Corsair RM850i PSU). My previous setup (Fulla 2) didn't have this problem (it had other more serious ones though). I will check the buffer tonight from home, I think I remember I moved it all the way up. As for trying a different PC, I will try with my laptop tonight, but that will just be useful for discarding issues. The sound card with SPDIF should have arrived yesterday, if it arrives today I will plug it in and try the optical output, which I've always prefered but this motherboard doesn't have one - long story involving the original motherboard being RMAd and me getting a different model hastily before checking what RealTek solution it had on board....

EDIT: Soundcard arrived, tested on SPDIF, it is same if not worse. BUT, during the testing, and after seeing optical out is doing the same, for some reason (probably to not reach around the PC), I connected USB again, but this time to the front USB connectors (case is a Fractal Design Define R5), and there is no noise. None. So yeah, this was inside my PC, probably my two graphics cards, which are close to both the USB back panel as well as the sound card (which actually fit only BETWEEN the two GPUs).

Last edited:

Jaimo

MWC

@ snowsurfer

How about a soundcard that has shielding like the one I have in one of my PCs a Xonar D2? Do you think that might be quieter for you in between your 2 graphix cards? If there was room?

snowsurfer

@ snowsurfer

How about a soundcard that has shielding like the one I have in one of my PCs a Xonar D2? Do you think that might be quieter for you in between your 2 graphix cards? If there was room?

I will look into it, but the Xonar SE I installed yesterday was already veeeery tight.

MWC

It could be, given the design of PC cases, MOBOs and sound/graphix cards, that one can't have all one wants in one case, it's just too damn tight! One might have to have a dedicated Video PC plus a separate dedicated Audio PC. Might it be feasible to put a nice big soundcard in a NAS box rather than in one's PC? Or have a little NUC for either the Video or Audio work one wants done?

Last edited:

Shane D

Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity, what did folks pay on the MassDrop run? On the Shenzen site it has been $250.00. I looked it up today and it 15% off.
Was MassDrop charging $200.00?

If any Canadians bought it, did you have to pay a shipping fee?

Thanks for any feedback!

Shane D

Jaimo

I picked up an anniversary version during the Chinese New Year sale for US215 from Shenzhen. Change your currency to CAD and save a few dollars in exchange fees.

In my case, Shenzhen shipped via DHL because there was a shipping delay and I paid something like $28 in brokerage fees.

The downside of dealing with Massdrop is the waiting time and I believe you don’t get a warranty.

Shane D

Forum Donor
I picked up an anniversary version during the Chinese New Year sale for US215 from Shenzhen. Change your currency to CAD and save a few dollars in exchange fees.

In my case, Shenzhen shipped via DHL because there was a shipping delay and I paid something like $28 in brokerage fees.

The downside of dealing with Massdrop is the waiting time and I believe you don’t get a warranty.

Thanks for the reply! How do you change the currency? During checkout?

What was your landed cost? I am thinking $325.00 to $350.00. For three more days it is $212.49.

Shane D

Jaimo

The FX rate is likely different now but in February, I paid about C$290. Change your currency to CAD on the main page and they will bill you in CAD- this translates into a 2.5-3% saving in FX fees as the default is USD

Shane D

Forum Donor
The FX rate is likely different now but in February, I paid about C$290. Change your currency to CAD on the main page and they will bill you in CAD- this translates into a 2.5-3% saving in FX fees as the default is USD
Thanks again! I had to switch to desktop version to see the currency option. It worked out to $279.00, Canadian. I would be happy to pay $28.00 in fees!:)

In this part of the country (Nova Scotia), the sales tax is 15%, but taxes seem to be hit and miss on importing.

I have three days to make a decision.

Shane D

Top Bottom