• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
hires = anything higher than cd quality. ****** standard has dropped a lot forn the initial announcement.

Also when you know it's capable of 96khz/192khz/384khz you know of course it's going to reproduce more than 40khz.

MWC

Thank yu Yuno, that small correction makes all the difference.

JohnYang1997 says: "Also when you know it's capable of 96khz/192khz/384khz you know of course it's going to reproduce more than 40khz."

One would hope so John, but you know full well that there is a lot of bullshit in this industry. Personally I need the reassurance of seeing all the right spec., before I buy and if something I want is not listed, then I ask about it, rather than just assume something.

badyard

I'd like mr. @amirm to include "dark matter response" in his DAC measurements next time, 'cause i'm sure i can feel it through my speaker system.

Reactions: MWC

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thank yu Yuno, that small correction makes all the difference.

JohnYang1997 says: "Also when you know it's capable of 96khz/192khz/384khz you know of course it's going to reproduce more than 40khz."

One would hope so John, but you know full well that there is a lot of bullshit in this industry. Personally I need the reassurance of seeing all the right spec., before I buy and if something I want is not listed, then I ask about it, rather than just assume something.
Well no one intentionally does worse for a dac. You can only intentionally make it worse in frequency response range unless it's disastrous driver issue or something like that (build dac from scratch). I know how to design amplifiers and dacs so this is how it works. Basically the only one way to scew this up in analog domain is to use too big compensation capacitors. If one follows(just loosely) manufacturers' recommendation, it will be good. Fr for a dac is the least problematic thing you will find on a piece of measurement.

However there are something about digital filters. Some use too slow rolloff for lower sampling rates causing problems. But that's not the discussion of frequency "range".

Reactions: MWC

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Also keep in mind that it's a skill and art to know/understand measurements and analysis measurements. Many many times measurements are misleading but not actually the measurements fault. It's as difficult if not more than say a sommelier.

MWC

I'm no audio design engineer, not even a novice at it, but I have a keen interest and where I think I can understand the technicalities, I always like to learn. Thank you very much for all your input.

mikolajek

Has anyone used the whole SMSL set (SU-8, SH-8 & DA-8) and can share speaker experience (yes, I know it's super subjective ;))?

I'm specifically interested in the DA-8 power amplifier, as I own SU/SH already. Just got myself brand new Monitor Audio Bronze 2 set for my desk and logically I'm looking at DA-8 to accompany the set playing the amplifier role.

badyard

Has anyone used the whole SMSL set (SU-8, SH-8 & DA-8) and can share speaker experience (yes, I know it's super subjective ;))?

I'm specifically interested in the DA-8 power amplifier, as I own SU/SH already. Just got myself brand new Monitor Audio Bronze 2 set for my desk and logically I'm looking at DA-8 to accompany the set playing the amplifier role.
You gotta try it out, thats the only way to know! I personally think it's worth a try since you already have SU and SH, it will certainly fit nicely on your stack with the Bronze 2 it will be a slick looking little system!

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Man, I did not come here for this argumentative nonsense. Haven't you anything better to do with your time?

Was that aimed at me? If so my request for links to papers was a genuine one, not being 'argumentative'.

df00

Wondering if anyone experienced problems with the remote volume control on this unit. Appologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it.

When I lower the volume a bit, then go to raise it, it continues to lower. Eventually the up volume works as expected, but occasionally the up volume button actually lowers the volume. Strange indeed. Just me?

Other babble... Upgrading from a miniDSP 2x4HD, this unit sounds a bit better to me, but not a night and day difference. If you need eq then the miniDSP is a great option. The su-8 gives you balanced outs, which I use, but the miniDSP 2x4HD gives you an analog input and DSP (EQ, XO, etc). One real negative for the miniDSP is the form factor. I absolutely hate the inputs and outputs being on both the front and back of the unit, it looks like crap in HiFi rack. try to hide it and then the remote doesn't work.

Ultrasonic

Wondering if anyone experienced problems with the remote volume control on this unit. Appologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it.

When I lower the volume a bit, then go to raise it, it continues to lower. Eventually the up volume works as expected, but occasionally the up volume button actually lowers the volume. Strange indeed. Just me?

Other babble... Upgrading from a miniDSP 2x4HD, this unit sounds a bit better to me, but not a night and day difference. If you need eq then the miniDSP is a great option. The su-8 gives you balanced outs, which I use, but the miniDSP 2x4HD gives you an analog input and DSP (EQ, XO, etc). One real negative for the miniDSP is the form factor. I absolutely hate the inputs and outputs being on both the front and back of the unit, it looks like crap in HiFi rack. try to hide it and then the remote doesn't work.

I have a 2x4 HD and SU-8 too. Other than your comments another pro for the SU-8 is the display so you can see the volume level and selected input.

I'm in the process of integrating a sub into my stereo system with the miniDSP though so the chances are I'll be selling my SU-8 in a bit. I'm using the miniDSP both for crossover and EQ duties.

Oh, and no, I've not had your remote control issue. All I've noticed is the screen displaying something weird if I change the inputs too fast.

badyard

Yes, I do have noticed it! Does not happen very often, but when it does it's very annoying!

Anubhav

Forum Donor
I am having a Geshelli Enog2 , Topping D10, and NAD D1050
Amp - Geshelli Archel Pro , JDS Labs Atom

Is investing in this DAC - SMSL SU-8 going to be any improvement ? If not, what DAC will be an upgrade that I can really hear the difference.

Thanks

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I am having a Geshelli Enog2 , Topping D10, and NAD D1050
Amp - Geshelli Archel Pro , JDS Labs Atom

Is investing in this DAC - SMSL SU-8 going to be any improvement ? If not, what DAC will be an upgrade that I can really hear the difference.

Thanks
I don't care what others said. You can really hear difference between dacs. Su8 is actually sounding quite different from other dacs I have. Not necessarily good or bad. But there is difference.

My recommendation is don't get ess based dac (at least non pro ones). Get AK4490/4493 or cs4398. They measure not as good at thd+n at max volume but they have much less modulation noises/distortions.

My topping d30 and dx3pro will arrive soon. I'll do some extensive unconventional tests too.

MWC

I generally agree with JohnYang1997.
A good extra with the SU-8 is xlr balanced outs. Does that compensate for the slight mid range hump in distortion measurements of the ESS chips?
In my shopping list of requirements XLR is quite important, and it slightly puts me off the otherwise promising ( from reviews/tests) Topping DX3 Pro. However price is also an important consideration and one can't really expect XLR as cheap as these Toppings.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
audio energy above 20Khz can audibly effect how we hear within the 20Hz to 20kHz 'human hearing' range.

I am not a native english-speaker and I don't understand that sentence.
Can someone explain it to me?

Biblob

I don't care what others said. You can really hear difference between dacs. Su8 is actually sounding quite different from other dacs I have. Not necessarily good or bad. But there is difference.

My recommendation is don't get ess based dac (at least non pro ones). Get AK4490/4493 or cs4398. They measure not as good at thd+n at max volume but they have much less modulation noises/distortions.

My topping d30 and dx3pro will arrive soon. I'll do some extensive unconventional tests too.
Did you subject yourself to a level matched, blind test? Otherwise your assumptions don't make much sense, unfornutately.

Top Bottom