• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

yapst38

I'd have thought the only reason to would be if you need balanced outputs. The differences in measured performance are tiny.
Tks ultrasonic yes I thot of going xlr. If its tiny gain than perhaps I should wait for better dac

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tks ultrasonic yes I thot of going xlr. If its tiny gain than perhaps I should wait for better dac

My point was that the measured performance of the D50 and SU-8 are virtually identical, with the differences virtually certain to be inaudible. In terms of waiting for a 'better' DAC the question is probably one of whether any further improvements would be audible. There are of course a number of DACs that do measure a bit better, but for considerably more money.

Are you thinking in terms of speaker or headphone listening? It sounds like your real question is whether a change from unbalanced to balanced connections is worth the change?

yapst38

My point was that the measured performance of the D50 and SU-8 are virtually identical, with the differences virtually certain to be inaudible. In terms of waiting for a 'better' DAC the question is probably one of whether any further improvements would be audible. There are of course a number of DACs that do measure a bit better, but for considerably more money.

Are you thinking in terms of speaker or headphone listening? It sounds like your real question is whether a change from unbalanced to balanced connections is worth the change?
Ah u read my mind ultrasonic. I am into headphone listening. A change from unbalance to balance will it reap better sq. My headphone lcd2 fazer. Iem FH5.
Recently I had a chance to listen to the kinki vision dac 1.like it v much but as its too big couldn't keep it.

Ultrasonic

Ah u read my mind ultrasonic. I am into headphone listening. A change from unbalance to balance will it reap better sq. My headphone lcd2 fazer. Iem FH5.
Recently I had a chance to listen to the kinki vision dac 1.like it v much but as its too big couldn't keep it.

I'm a loudspeakers rather than headphones guy so I'll leave this to others to comment on.

THEV

Does anybody have Kali LP6s monitors? When I hook them up to the XLR output of the smsl su8 it sounds horrible

badyard

Does anybody have Kali LP6s monitors? When I hook them up to the XLR output of the smsl su8 it sounds horrible
what do you mean by "sounds horrible", please articulate it so that I can understand your issue.

snowsurfer

Do they have some kind of input gain control? On my LSR305s there is a gain switch, -10dB for regular, single ended, sources, and +4db for sources with higher output like the balanced output of the SMSL. Sound on -10dB on mine was really strained, not horrible though, but perfect as soon as I changed it to the +4dB setting.

THEV

what do you mean by "sounds horrible", please articulate it so that I can understand your issue.
I am new to the audio world but I hear lots of crackles throughout the music, mostly hear them during higher frequencies. RCA-RCA and RCA-XLR sounds perfectly fine and while XLR-RCA has the same problem..

Do they have some kind of input gain control? On my LSR305s there is a gain switch, -10dB for regular, single ended, sources, and +4db for sources with higher output like the balanced output of the SMSL. Sound on -10dB on mine was really strained, not horrible though, but perfect as soon as I changed it to the +4dB setting.

I don't think I can manually change the input sensitivity, only the volume. I assume it would switch by itself depending on the input?
Back of LP6

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am new to the audio world but I hear lots of crackles throughout the music, mostly hear them during higher frequencies. RCA-RCA and RCA-XLR sounds perfectly fine and while XLR-RCA has the same problem..
XLR to RCA will overdrive the input and cause serious distortion. Do you not have the option of XLR to XLR?

THEV

XLR to RCA will overdrive the input and cause serious distortion. Do you not have the option of XLR to XLR?

Sorry for being unclear, XLR-XLR sounds as distorted or crackly as XLR-RCA. So basically all XLR output sounds worse than RCA outputs. I was sure my XLR output on the SMSL SU8 is just broken, however, the Adam T5Vs do not have an audible difference between RCA-RCA and XLR-XLR..

Ultrasonic

Sorry for being unclear, XLR-XLR sounds as distorted or crackly as XLR-RCA. So basically all XLR output sounds worse than RCA outputs. I was sure my XLR output on the SMSL SU8 is just broken, however, the Adam T5Vs do not have an audible difference between RCA-RCA and XLR-XLR..

Are you saying that if you connect the SU-8 to a pair of Adam T5Vs XLR-XLR you have no problem, but with Kali LP6 speakers you do have a problem? Have you use the XLR input on the Kalis with anything else? The issue may not be with the SU-8...

Edit: do you have exactly the same issue with both the left channel and the right channel?

Ultrasonic

THEV

Are you saying that if you connect the SU-8 to a pair of Adam T5Vs XLR-XLR you have no problem, but with Kali LP6 speakers you do have a problem? Have you use the XLR input on the Kalis with anything else? The issue may not be with the SU-8...

Edit: do you have exactly the same issue with both the left channel and the right channel?

Yes both channels have the issue and you are indeed correct that the T5Vs XLR-XLR do not have the same problem and unfortunately, I dont have any other dac available with XLR output to test the Kalis with. Within 2 weeks my local audio dealer should have the Kali LP6s in stock so I will try to test their demo unit with my dac.

@THEV Looking at the bottom of p13 of the manual for the LP6 (linked below) I think it's possible the solution to your problem might be to switch off the RCA input using the dip switch (guessing that you haven't so far).

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a6a2d73bff200e7e9dde1f9/t/5bdfba43cd836658b4d50531/1541388873409/LP-68+User's+Manual.pd

Unfortunately, I already tried all possible dip combinations without success :(

Do you think that it might be possible that the Kali input XLR pins are somehow in a different order than the T5Vs and my dac? Or am I saying dumb stuff now?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does the crackling go away if you lower the volume good bit on the SMSL?

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Hi SMSL-Mandy,
Hoping for some clarification:
1) In terms of the red wire and diode, or the upgrade, do you have a before an after photo, which ties into my next question,
2) Understanding that if you don't have electrical knowledge then this upgrade shouldn't be attempted, where/what is the "anode of the diode" that should be un-soldered?
Thanks

The photo on the page 5th,#100.Thank you so much.

unicore

I use XLR (SU-8) to RCA (JDS Labs Atom), sounds good, no crackling/popping or other issues.
amirm do you suggest I should try RCA to RCA combination, or leave is as it is?

unicore

Does anyone while using USB input have a delay while switching/changing between different source bitrate? When I start playing a song which has a higher or lower bitrate from previous one, I can hear a pop and there is a delay of 1-2 seconds while I can hear sound again. When using S/PDIF there is not problem like that.

badyard

Does anyone while using USB input have a delay while switching/changing between different source bitrate? When I start playing a song which has a higher or lower bitrate from previous one, I can hear a pop and there is a delay of 1-2 seconds while I can hear sound again. When using S/PDIF there is not problem like that.
I suggest you switch to RCA ->> RCA, this most likely will fix this issue as well as preventing you from overdriving your JDS Lab Atom inputs.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I use XLR (SU-8) to RCA (JDS Labs Atom), sounds good, no crackling/popping or other issues.
amirm do you suggest I should try RCA to RCA combination, or leave is as it is?
Yes, you should use RCA.

Top Bottom