• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

sound63

Does that opa really matter? Why do you care that so much?
Because, as you already well know, every opa has its own sound signature, indeed there are dacs that you can swap them with the right one, obviously, and the result is a different sound, tailored to your taste and system.
Regards

helloworld

sound63

Tatteredmidnight

Thanks Helloworld, interesting reading !!! I had an opinion about opa sonic signature, but I was probably wrong having read untrue reviews !!!
Anyway do You know which opa inside SMSL SU-8 balanced DAC, just out of curiosity ???

I think this is the wrong question, as a well implemented opa should be sonically transparent. That said, if you refer to post #102 (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-su-8-version-2-balanced-dac.5433/post-121222), in particular this image: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/qq截图20181129192904-png.18230, you will see what looks like a TI OPA 1612A (far left). From the other pics, there appear to be 2 if these, one on each channel. I have no idea if this is the output stage, but its the only opa I could read in the pics, and I'm not inclined to takes my unit apart again. Hope this helps

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks Tatteredmidnigh then a guess on routing is into below dirty quick sketch.
1000.png

sound63

Hi Byrtt, amazing !!! Then 2 dacs, one per channel, 2 opa1602 one per channel and one 48088_1806U in common !!! Do You know what does this last chip ??? Thanks again for your kind support Alberto

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Welcome sound63 will guess last chip is there as a transperant buffer to interface a good low impedance output to outside world, but i don't known of its brand but technically it must be a dual chip amp as is case for OPA1612.

Deku

Hi all,

I received my SU-8 direct from Shenzhen Audio in China just the other day, purchased from their website. Was assured it is v1.2 but would love to verify that by opening it up myself.

Forgive my inexperience, but to those who have cracked it open: how did you remove the lid? Gave it a quick go with my knife but didn’t budge easily and didn’t want to go at it much more before asking.

Last edited:

Tatteredmidnight

Hi all,

I received my SU-8 direct from Shenzhen Audio in China just the other day, purchased from their website. Was assured it is v1.2 but would love to verify that by opening it up myself.

Forgive my inexperience, but to those who have cracked it open: how did you remove the lid? Gave it a quick go with my knife but didn’t budge easily and didn’t want to go at it much more before asking.

I removed the bottom of my unit, then used a small screwdriver to poke the top of the enclosure off, working around the edges of the circuit board. It's very easy.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Hi Byrtt, amazing !!! Then 2 dacs, one per channel, 2 opa1602 one per channel and one 48088_1806U in common !!! Do You know what does this last chip ??? Thanks again for your kind support Alberto

It's the output buffer.

Mumstead

Hi all,

I took the 4 screws out of the bottom. I then placed one of the 4 screws back in its hole without screwing it in and gave it a little push. This makes the top pop up enough that you can grab it. This way there is no chance that you might scratch it by using a screwdriver blade. I hope that this helps!

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Hi all,

The way to know the version of your SU-8.
No need to open it.
Press and hold the machine button and plug in electricity, the machine will be set up in factory setup, the software version number will be displayed on the display,if the software version V1.3 is the newest,

ttvd

I recently received a SU-8 from massdrop november drop last week; It reports as v1.2 (if you use the above method). It does exhibit a lot of static / distortion in balanced during initial sound play and it goes away after a few seconds. But it is kind of hard to deal with. Pretty sure it's not my set up (multiple other dacs / amps / cables) and it's probably a faulty unit. I am rather impressed with the sound, but will be returning it back due to the noise issue.

hrbngr

Mumstead,

that was my method as well, remove the 4 screws (one on each corner) -- not the 2 slightly out from the edge. You can then use one of the screws to push the top off through the existing hole or better yet, use a straightened large paper clip to push out each of the corners. It will contact the bottom of the long brass threaded rod (sort of like a big PC mobo standoff) and the top plate will "pop" out. Please do this over a soft/safe surface so that the top does NOT get damaged.

I took the 4 screws out of the bottom. I then placed one of the 4 screws back in its hole without screwing it in and gave it a little push. This makes the top pop up enough that you can grab it. This way there is no chance that you might scratch it by using a screwdriver blade. I hope that this helps!

bhu1kaura

To change the old version to V1.2, you only need to solder one wire as the picture below:

Thanks for yue's and amir's reminding.

To clarify It is important that you unsolder the anode of the diode as well. The anode should be detached from the board, and then connected to the +9v line on the other side of the board.

If you didn't have any electronic knowledge , don't do that!

把原先的二极管的阳级从电路板上焊下来,再用导线接到板子另一端的+9v引脚上,
否则短路9伏到5伏上会损坏机器,切记!切记!切记!
无动手能力与不懂电子知识人员请不要自行改装!

View attachment 18234
View attachment 18230View attachment 18231
Thanks for the details. If possible, could you please record a video for the same and upload it to youtube.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhuwan

Toku

Major Contributor
The reason why SU-8 is not posted on SMSL's website turned out.

SU-8 is manufactured by SMSL, but sales promotion and sales operations are products handled by Shenzhen Audio.

This is the reason why it is not posted on HP.

obc

The way to know the version of your SU-8.
No need to open it.
Press and hold the machine button and plug in electricity, the machine will be set up in factory setup, the software version number will be displayed on the display,if the software version V1.3 is the newest,

If i order it on german-amazon what version will i receive most likely? I try to dodge the 1.0 version

GGekko

I ordered this DAC to be used with my THX AAA 789. My question is what volume should I set the DAC to when listening as it doesn't seem to have a line out/fixed output?
Thanks for the help!

Veri

Master Contributor
I ordered this DAC to be used with my THX AAA 789. My question is what volume should I set the DAC to when listening as it doesn't seem to have a line out/fixed output?
Thanks for the help!
Uh doesn't it *only* have a fixed output? You can manage the volume digitally that's it.

Top Bottom