• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

badyard

That v1. 1 to v1.2 upgrade is temptingly simple but with terrifyingly small smd components. Feels like a good mod for off warranty or if I move it from feeding powered monitors to a situation where I need to push the output levels.

The geek in me wants those class leading measurements though.

V1.1 here, besides measurements, the unit sounds great with flac sources, but feeding upsampled DSD512 bypassing internal upsample and filters sounds absolutely spectacular!!

Tatteredmidnight

V1.1 here, besides measurements, the unit sounds great with flac sources, but feeding upsampled DSD512 bypassing internal upsample and filters sounds absolutely spectacular!!

OH, I have absolutely no complaints so far. I replaced a NuForce DAC-80 with this unit, which has been breath of fresh air so far. I sent the NuForce unit to @amirm for review so I can quantify my distaste for that device.

RetroAudio

I have v1.1, On the volume control from 0-38 what is -6dB? What is the max volume before distortion kicks in?

badyard

I have v1.1, On the volume control from 0-38 what is -6dB? What is the max volume before distortion kicks in?
I'm not sure but I'll say up to 34 will be fine, however keep in mind that the distortion we are talking about at max volume it's such a small amount that is measurable but not audible.

FalFung

I use a multimeter to read my v1.0 SU-8's XLR balanced output. From 38 - 0, each decreasing level is equivalent to decreasing by 1 dB. (i.e. level 37 is -1 dB, level 36 is -2 dB). Level 32 is what you expected, -6 dB. I used to have the same question before.

I believe v1.1 is similar to v1.0. You can be confident to set it to 32.

FalFung

Amirm has measured the THD+N vs Frequency on V1.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-smsl-su-8-dac.3778/post-90520

The maximum volume is between -5 ~ -7.5 dB before the distortion kicks in. By the volume control on SU-8, it is between level 30 ~ 33.

Unfortunately I do not have the equipment to measure the exact distortion level at those levels. By taking the word from SMSL, -6 dB could receive good result. I would set the volume level to 32 when I connect my v1 SU-8 to my balanced headphone amps.

wadec22

@amirm do you think the SMSL M10 would measure pretty well? I'm guessing it won't hit these levels due to the single DAC, but it should be a pretty sound measuring device, shouldn't it?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm do you think the SMSL M10 would measure pretty well? I'm guessing it won't hit these levels due to the single DAC, but it should be a pretty sound measuring device, shouldn't it?
You never know without actually measuring it. At least I don't. :)

RetroAudio

Thank you all for the reply on my question. Forgot to mention i'm using balanced out. So this is good to know the maximum volume before distortion kicks in.

basil

Thank you all for the reply on my question. Forgot to mention i'm using balanced out. So this is good to know the maximum volume before distortion kicks in.
There are not audible distortions on 38 volume level with ver1.1 on my active speaker. I listened both version (1.1 and 1.2) and on ver1.2 SPL up 6-8 db according to my spl meter. Meter is inaccurate, but subjectively, the difference is similar to the real. In my opinion, the sound of the ver1.2 is more transparent and detailed on mid and high.

RetroAudio

In my opinion, the sound of the ver1.2 is more transparent and detailed on mid and high.

Interesting, at what volume did you find v1.2 more transparent & detail? At Max volume 38 or across the volume range?

basil

Volume range about 26-34 for listening. Level 38 for measurements only, too loud for listening.

badyard

There are not audible distortions on 38 volume level with ver1.1 on my active speaker. I listened both version (1.1 and 1.2) and on ver1.2 SPL up 6-8 db according to my spl meter. Meter is inaccurate, but subjectively, the difference is similar to the real. In my opinion, the sound of the ver1.2 is more transparent and detailed on mid and high.
I'm a bit skeptical about your experience, hearing a difference with such a small technical variation (which by the way is supposed to start from volume 32 up), at such loud and increasing volume. Honestly I think what you have heard to be most likely not related to the mod, not to mention that at such high volumes any speaker would become less transparent and detailed.

hrbngr

Hello,

FYI, I just received a SU8 from the lastest Massdrop that was stated to be the version 2 unit. I did NOT receive a version 2 -- I received the version 1.1 that can be "modified" to the V2...however, I am not willing to do that. I will request the correct version from Massdrop or a return.
SU8_board.jpg

hrbngr

Amir,
Indeed, I'm hoping the Buyer's reply in the discussion makes the exchange(unlikely)/return(probable) go somewhat smoothly...

Matt.T
/ Buyer
Xap1008
Hi all, thanks for letting us know about this! I was unaware there was a new version. I spoke to our supplier and it was confirmed the newest SMSL SU-8 V2 will be sent in this promotion!

Toku

Major Contributor
Amir,
Switching to a song with a different sampling rate on SU-8, the head part of the song becomes a fade-in operation, and the first part of the song is erased. Is V2 the same behavior?
If that is resolved I would like to buy another one.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Amir,
Switching to a song with a different sampling rate on SU-8, the head part of the song becomes a fade-in operation, and the first part of the song is erased. Is V2 the same behavior?
If that is resolved I would like to buy another one.

@pos , have you noticed this as well?

Top Bottom