• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
The current state of this SU-8 thread is truly sad. How did it descend into this? All I originally said was the SU-8 was overkill for it's stated use with lossy mp3 files. Since then we have just been picking nits!
No, you had been poking fun at lossy mp3 which (intentionally or not) reeks of some kind of "lossless" supremacy/elitism. Knowing a lot, if not most, people just stream you could have predicted a backlash on the whole 'empty3' thing but I digress. Agree this is all rather off-topic.

Micr0be

This might be the stupidest question but I need to make sure. Both my su-8 and sh-8 have a voltage selector, I need to run it at 220v but I'm just not sure which way to move the selector to select that voltage.
1)if the selector is ON 220v then I can visibly read 110v next to it.
2)If the selector is set ON 110v I can visibly see the 220v text next to it.

Which side is it actually supposed to be on to select my desired 220v?

I don't think this is intuitive at all. And I'm willing to bet some people are making this error and just assuming they got it right.

Reactions: MWC

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Sorry: I can read "230" under the box and it matches the 220V in France.

If I am in a country where wall plug is 110V, I want to read 110V under the box.

Let's say I have to read the value 230 if I need to run in 220V.

Jaimo

This might be the stupidest question but I need to make sure. Both my su-8 and sh-8 have a voltage selector, I need to run it at 220v but I'm just not sure which way to move the selector to select that voltage.
1)if the selector is ON 220v then I can visibly read 110v next to it.
2)If the selector is set ON 110v I can visibly see the 220v text next to it.

Which side is it actually supposed to be on to select my desired 220v?

I don't think this is intuitive at all. And I'm willing to bet some people are making this error and just assuming they got it right.
Here’s a pic of my SU8 - there’s no mistaking that it is set for 115VAC.

BCD0EB5B-F67C-41D2-B3A2-6DFB11E7EA8F.jpeg

magor34

Not sure if it's been discussed in this thread before other than @amirm measurements. I wonder what PCM filters you guys prefer and why. I keep changing between fast linear and brickwall and can't seem to make my mind up. Which filter are you using?

gvl

Major Contributor
Gotta thank Mr. Edison that setting a voltage selector in America is a much less stressful process.

mgiammarco

Hello, I tried to read all the thread and find info I need but I need to ask you these two questions:
1) without opening it can you see if it is v1 or v2?
2) I use my smsl su-8 with fostex pm0.4n balanced and XLR cable. I hear a big bump each time I change settings. Support told me to use RCA connections because Fostex are not really balanced. With RCA I hear no bump anymore. But Fostex says that PM0.4n are electronically balanced. So basically is it true that Fostex are fake balanced? Or is it a sign I have version v1?

Thanks,
Mario

Jaimo

According to a SoS review, the PM0.4n has a balanced input via the 1/4 inch TRS socket and is unbalanced via the phono input. If you are going from the SML’s balanced output to Phono, you will be shorting the -ve signal to ground. This is fairly common practice.

To get a fully balanced connection, you will need a pair of XLR to TRS Cables. As always, make sure that the cable is made up to match this combos pinouts.

Reactions: MWC

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello, I tried to read all the thread and find info I need but I need to ask you these two questions:
1) without opening it can you see if it is v1 or v2?
2) I use my smsl su-8 with fostex pm0.4n balanced and XLR cable. I hear a big bump each time I change settings. Support told me to use RCA connections because Fostex are not really balanced. With RCA I hear no bump anymore. But Fostex says that PM0.4n are electronically balanced. So basically is it true that Fostex are fake balanced? Or is it a sign I have version v1?

Thanks,
Mario

Others have reported noises via XLR if the sample rate changes between tracks, which is either much quieter or non-existent via RCA. I don't think the change to V2 is related to this.

typericey

As mentioned I plan to get this as a DAC/preamp. I plan to connect the XLRs to the power amp and the RCAs to the subwoofer.

Anyone tried this or can at least confirm that the two outputs work simultaneously? If yes, would there be detrimental effects i.e. straining or overdriving the line stage?

mgiammarco

To get a fully balanced connection, you will need a pair of XLR to TRS Cables. As always, make sure that the cable is made up to match this combos pinouts.
Infact I have a pair of XLR to TRS cables, I forgot to say.

mgiammarco

Others have reported noises via XLR if the sample rate changes between tracks, which is either much quieter or non-existent via RCA. I don't think the change to V2 is related to this.
In my case sample rate change using xlr creates a very loud bump

Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic

So nobody can reply to this?
You need to hold down the power button when it is switched on at the mains to see the software version. I'd need to check near the start of the thread to be sure what you want it to be so I'd suggest you look there yourself. My vague recollection is you want at least v1.3 but I'm not sure. So check.

Top Bottom