• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Buddelpudding

Sorry to jam in another question:

I currently own a Schiit Eitr and Modi Multibit. Given that the Mimby measures terribly, I am inclined to try out the SMSL SU-8.
Do you think that is a worthy "upgrade"? If so, it would probably even save me money.
Also, how does the USB input compare to the SPDIF? Trying to figure out if the SU-8 would benefit from the Eitr.

Thank you

hrbngr

Buddelp,
As u can see here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-battle-of-schiit-audio-dacs.5487/ the Multibit is crap...and that's too bad b/c I own one as well, d@mn me for believing the hype!!! I also have a Jotunheim and WYRD and i want to get rid of all of them.

i would just use USB w/the SU8 and yes it's a solid replacement for Multibit, if u want to stay w/ScHIiT, then pickup a a Modi 3 as they fixed some stuff w/that unit as indicated here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-schiit-modi-3-dac.4742/

Hopefully someone else can speak to the spdif vs usb output. G/L

Buddelpudding

Hey hrbngr, thx for your opinion!
Yeah, damn hype... I might just order one from Amazon, as it seems to ship from Germany, so no hassle returning it. I'll trust my ears and science this time ^^
If it could replace both units, that would be amazing! So any other opinions on the USB input of SMSL SU8 would be very interesting.

Pillars

Drop is up on MD again.. with a nice addition - the SMSL DA-8 power amp. $235 for 50 watts into 4ohm is a bit slim though.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Buddelp,
As u can see here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-battle-of-schiit-audio-dacs.5487/ the Multibit is crap...and that's too bad b/c I own one as well, d@mn me for believing the hype!!! I also have a Jotunheim and WYRD and i want to get rid of all of them.

i would just use USB w/the SU8 and yes it's a solid replacement for Multibit, if u want to stay w/ScHIiT, then pickup a a Modi 3 as they fixed some stuff w/that unit as indicated here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-schiit-modi-3-dac.4742/

Hopefully someone else can speak to the spdif vs usb output. G/L
Do you own both dacs and you are hearing these differences, or just going by the reviews?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Hey hrbngr, thx for your opinion!
Yeah, damn hype... I might just order one from Amazon, as it seems to ship from Germany, so no hassle returning it. I'll trust my ears and science this time ^^
If it could replace both units, that would be amazing! So any other opinions on the USB input of SMSL SU8 would be very interesting.
The xmos usb is fine. Since you have the eitr, when you get the new dac,just try it.

hrbngr

i returned my first SU8--old version. It is similar to the DX3pro, but includes balanced. The DX3pro is more detailed than my Multibit (in DAC mode), and I also had a lot of hiss in the line when using the Multibit/Jot via USB that is not present in the DX3pro/789. I have not tried all variations of the DX3pro & Multibit DACs, Jotunheim and THX AAA 789 amps. Really wanted to have a balanced setup so hoping the 2nd SU8 is the answer.

gvl

Major Contributor
... You refer to Chrome, but unlike a more specialized audio application, Chrome's only way of playing sound is via the system default audio device...

Not entirely true. Chrome has (had?) experimental WASAPI support, but last time I tried it was broken. Look it up.

Pillars

Not sure if this is a pricing error but Shenzhenaudio has the SMSL SU-8, SH-8 and DA-8 for a total price of $482.48 shipped.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Not sure if this is a pricing error but Shenzhenaudio has the SMSL SU-8, SH-8 and DA-8 for a total price of $482.48 shipped.

It looks the indicated total price is correct, I have added the package to the basket and gone thru the check out processing to the last step of payment with no warning / issue of any type. (I did not confirm the payment though ...)
Perhaps, they are still under the effect of too many bottles of Champagne celebrating the New Year ... :cool:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Really good price for the combo. Best part is opposed to Massdrop you actually get a warranty.

Yeah, plus a formidable return policy, simply no one can beat them !
They do things in a very simple and straight-to-the-point way !

Toku

Major Contributor
I ordered my SMSL SU-8 from Shenzhenaudio, and everything was in perfect condition. They even set the value of the shipped item to a lower price, so I didn't have to pay the exorbitant Swedish tax. So I say, recommended.

That's right.
Thanks to them always filling in the invoice, I have never been asked for money with customs clearance.

When I purchase the same item from Masdrop, Customs will collect the customs fee and tax.

Last edited:

Buddelpudding

My unit just arrived, so I will be comparing it to my Eitr/Mimby setup (over Sennheiser HD600s via Little Dot MkIII or through my Q Acoustics 3050 floorstanders and a Rotel RA-05SE).

So far I can tell that the new version too "fades in" when I switch sample rates, so that's a bit annoying.
Soundwise, there is definitely a difference, but too early to put my finger on it or to say what I prefer.

Later I'll also try to compare Eitr->SU8 vs. just the Dac.

Last edited:

Buddelpudding

I'm still in the middle of it, but here are my first impressions of comparing Eitr+Mimby against SU-8:

First of all, the differences are very (!) small. Only after switching back and forth a lot, I think (!) I can tell them apart. But the following may very well be just me echoing the usual stereotypes you can find about these devices:

1. The SMSL seems to be a bit more precise sounding, maybe a bit more detailed. Also the separation of instruments might be a little better.

2. The Schiit-stack sounds a little bit "juicier" to me – it manages better to recreate the actual sound colors of the instruments. This feels a bit like there is more midrange to it, but idk. The bass has more body to it, but is also less precise.

Overall, idk what to do about this. Most likely, I would probably get acustomed to the SMSL very quickly and it might also be a good fit for my system, because it leans to the warmer side. But also, I kind of still like the Schiit stuff. But, the SMSL has better features and looks. At least considering the difference in price, that's quite a good result for the SU8. Maybe I can squeeze some money out of my system ;)

Vexed hex

Hello im new here to this forum. I have a question i noticed that with this dac linearity after -100 gets all wonky. how does this affect the sound? Is it a concern? I looked at other dacs and their measurements and most are nearly flat all the way across. So i thought it was odd that with this one it goes all crazy there. I also noticed that it appears each of the channels in this area are different does this mean there will be channel imbalance ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello im new here to this forum. I have a question i noticed that with this dac linearity after -100 gets all wonky. how does this affect the sound? Is it a concern? I looked at other dacs and their measurements and most are nearly flat all the way across. So i thought it was odd that with this one it goes all crazy there. I also noticed that it appears each of the channels in this area are different does this mean there will be channel imbalance ?
Hi there. Welcome to the forum. Briefly, no, CD music is limited to 96 dB anyway so unless you are playing exceptionally well recorded music, and at low level with high amplification, it is not an audible concern.

Likewise channel linearity differential is not an issue.

Welcome aboard by the way.

stalkehard

All good afternoon.
I have a sheaf 2.1 (a sabufer of jbl lsr 310s and the column kbl lsr 305)
All this works via my personal computer.
Here I buy smsl su8 ver2. Advise good xlr of a wire on 2 meters. 4 pieces are necessary (2 from a tsap to a sabufer, 2 from a sabufer to columns). Whether it is worth buying expensive on 300 apiece? Or in my case it is not required? Also if it is possible, usb a cable which from the personal computer to a tsap will go as I see that in a set nizkogno qualities. Thanks a lot for councils.
P.S. I apologize for an orfogrfiya, I write through the translator.

Top Bottom