• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

CPUzer0

I didn't know there was a 10th anniversary version of this, nor that i had actually ordered one (from amazon.de, fulfilled by Shenzhen Audio). Reports to be firmware version 1.3. Can't quickly spot any differences other than the fact that it says "10th anniversary version" on the back.

Attachments

• 10thanniversarysu8.jpg
    10thanniversarysu8.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 1,273
Last edited:

gtb75

I didn't know there was a 10th anniversary version of this, nor that i had actually ordered one (from amazon, fulfilled by Shenzhen Audio). Reports to be version 1.3. Can't quickly spot any differences other than the fact that it says "10th anniversary version" in the back.

Nice catch! I just checked the SU-8 I got from Massdrop last week and it also has it.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
...it says "10th anniversary version" in the back.

Okay begin not be interesting anymore before they start include some free local area AP analyzer service, with all these on surface same SKU who can know if they get a high performance audio unit or a summer hat.

Wallboy

Got my SU-8 from Shenzhen today. Soon as I plugged it in, I noticed that reported power supply noise coming from the device. Rebooted it warm after about an hour and the noise completely goes away.

Hase

Bought my SU-8 from amazon.de and received it today. Got shipped from a UK warehouse and it's also one of those "10th anniversary" versions. Also reports as firmware 1.3. So I think it's safe to assume that Amazon Europe ships the version 2 as of right now.

cecelo01

Good Morning!

Is Amazon USA already selling version 1.2?

Thank you!

cecelo01

Thanks for the information!

Is your SU-8 written "10th anniversary" on the back?

Thank you!

John57

Thanks for the information!

Is your SU-8 written "10th anniversary" on the back?

Thank you!
yep, mine says the same. Amazon makes is easy to return things if it turn out not what you expecting. Nothing to lose except there is currently no black color option. The SU-8 works very well with my Liquid Platinum Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli and drives my Sceptre S6 monitor.

Wallboy

Just an update regarding the power supply noise I had when I received the unit. The last two days when I've turned it on cold in the morning, there has been no noise anymore. Hopefully it was just a one time thing on a brand new unit.

gtb75

Just an update regarding the power supply noise I had when I received the unit. The last two days when I've turned it on cold in the morning, there has been no noise anymore. Hopefully it was just a one time thing on a brand new unit.

I only experience the noise on initial power up after the unit has been unplugged. As long as mains power stays connected to the DAC I never experience the noise again. I noticed it because I was switching off the power strip the DAC was connected to when not in use.

Again, not a big deal for me and doesn't seem to have any impact on the DAC or sound quality.

dexter

http://www.smsl-audio.com/download.asp look for SU-8 driver (down below somewhere). The XMOS drivers should come with proper ASIO support.
I have installed the SU-8 driver (xmos v4.41.0) and asio component for foobar2000, but somehow it hasn't bypassed the windows audio mixer (I still can adjust volume through windows volume slider). I think there is something wrong in the configuration but cannot figure out. Can someone help me? Thanks!

ofrappier

Hi,

How good is the digital volume of this DAC ? (to use it with active speakers / volume fixed)

John57

It uses the 32 bit volume control that is built in with the Sabre chip. It is a fast moving on the remote.Both RCA and Balanced outputs are active at all time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom