• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

Transmaniacon

We know indirectly from SMSL producing a DAC without external supply. It worked great on Coax but not USB due to running out of power. It was said that the DAC itself could be powered by USB 2.0 but not once you added a display to it.

Does this SU-6 DAC display the bit rate on the screen or does it simply show which input is selected?

raif71

Major Contributor
Yeah and if you have a DAC with digital in like AES or SPIDIF or Toslink. then you can send the same digital signal to your monitors and DAC.
With out the need for any digital to digital extra conversion.

I'm just saying if there is an extra input OR output on a DAC i would like to have an extra input.
This way most system only need a single DAC and all your digital sources can connect to it.
PC/TV/CD/streamer and so on.

Having a dedicated DAC for every source is kind of wasteful.

If the DAC only has USB in well you can only connect one PC. And your can't do it isolated and prevent ground loops like with Toslink.
My Yamaha receiver does not have a USB in but have optical/coax in so the Topping D10 series do come in handy. I connect my DAP or handphone to the D10 via usb and connect the unit to the receiver via coax or optical in. Voila !

Transmaniacon

Zek

Major Contributor
According to the manual, it shows the bit rate.

"When it played, the current audio file sampling rate will be displayed."
What about DSD sampling rate - does it shows only ”DSD” or DSD sampling rate?

SMSL_Liu

Audio Company
I
What about DSD sampling rate - does it shows only ”DSD” or DSD sampling rate?
it also will display the DSD, like 64, 128, 256, 512, and a DSD icon will light up.

Reactions: Zek

Destination: Moon

What you you think, a few more months and this comes out in a balanced version at $199?

Forgive me if this is yet another dumb question....
Why is balanced a concern here for what is most probably a very short run of shielded, or unshielded RCA cable? I understand (at least I think I do) why balanced extended runs off speaker wire is desirable.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forgive me if this is yet another dumb question....
Why is balanced a concern here for what is most probably a very short run of shielded, or unshielded RCA cable? I understand (at least I think I do) why balanced extended runs off speaker wire is desirable.
Balanced connection between DAC and AMP can help prevent ground loop issues, other than that there is no real reason to demand balanced imho.

Of course you also have the subjective side with people firmly believing balanced connection (both with interconnects and HP connection) will improve the sound quality; blacker background, more air between instruments, wider soundstage, deeper soundstage, better micro details and so on and so on... what a load of BS if you ask me.

fritobugger

I hope that SMSL can push a software update to add auto on/off to this device. Otherwise there are better choices.

Transmaniacon

I hope that SMSL can push a software update to add auto on/off to this device. Otherwise there are better choices.
What’s the better choice?

fritobugger

What’s the better choice?
Topping E30 if you don't need Bluetooth or Topping D50s if you want Bluetooth and the same DAC chip as the SU-6. Yes, the normal price for the D50s is higher than the SU-6 but I have seen it for sale new at nearly the same price.

Transmaniacon

Topping E30 if you don't need Bluetooth or Topping D50s if you want Bluetooth and the same DAC chip as the SU-6. Yes, the normal price for the D50s is higher than the SU-6 but I have seen it for sale new at nearly the same price.
I like the internal power supply of the SU-6, and for $169 it seems like a real bargain. My Topping D30 works well, but I’d like a display screen to show the sampling rate and an internal power supply to clean up wires.

fritobugger

I like the internal power supply of the SU-6, and for $169 it seems like a real bargain. My Topping D30 works well, but I’d like a display screen to show the sampling rate and an internal power supply to clean up wires.
Honestly the only thing missing for me in the SU-6 is the auto on/off. I love my SMSL M8 which doesn't have auto on but it does have auto off. Unfortunately, I didn't use the auto off feature much and the screen is showing the damage now. If the M8 had auto on/off I would have used it from day 1 and the screen would not be damaged.

I use the DAC as part of a speaker system and it is inside a cabinet (along with the receiver) away from tiny hands and for a generally cleaner look. As much as I like the function of a remote control, I really don't need to add another to the pile of remotes in the living room. Auto on/off is a very desirable feature for me.

Transmaniacon

Honestly the only thing missing for me in the SU-6 is the auto on/off. I love my SMSL M8 which doesn't have auto on but it does have auto off. Unfortunately, I didn't use the auto off feature much and the screen is showing the damage now. If the M8 had auto on/off I would have used it from day 1 and the screen would not be damaged.

I use the DAC as part of a speaker system and it is inside a cabinet (along with the receiver) away from tiny hands and for a generally cleaner look. As much as I like the function of a remote control, I really don't need to add another to the pile of remotes in the living room. Auto on/off is a very desirable feature for me.
How did the screen get damaged? I don’t mind turning things on/off, I already do that with my preamp and amp for my stereo and am used to turning the Topping D30 on/off.

fritobugger

How did the screen get damaged? I don’t mind turning things on/off, I already do that with my preamp and amp for my stereo and am used to turning the Topping D30 on/off.
I believe it is an OLED and burned in and faded over time. There are threads out there talking about it. Not unique to my unit.

Like I said it is inside a media cabinet an not convenient to turn off and on.

When I first got it, I used it with a desktop headphone setup so back then it was no problem to turn on and off.

snowsurfer

A neat little DAC, still a bit sceptical about SMSL's reliability. I have more confidence in Topping's products given the level of support and @JohnYang1997 's presence and active involvement :)
I have an SU-8 and an SP200 on my desktop as daily drivers since their launch and so far I have nothing but praise. I will definitely buy SMSL again.

Top Bottom