• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

san

Hi,

I recently bought SMSL A300 amp ti drive my Q Acoustics 3020i speakers. I'm looking for a DAC now.

I'm confused with SMSL SU-6 and SMSL D-6. Please let me know when one is better and which one should I choose. I know there won't be much difference in SQ. But want to know which one is better overall.

Thanks

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

I recently bought SMSL A300 amp ti drive my Q Acoustics 3020i speakers. I'm looking for a DAC now.

I'm confused with SMSL SU-6 and SMSL D-6. Please let me know when one is better and which one should I choose. I know there won't be much difference in SQ. But want to know which one is better overall.

Thanks
They both cost about the same..
I would go for the D-6 as it comes with more connectivity options, other than that it really doesn't matter at all.

Reactions: san

HorizonsEdge

I have this DAC connected to JBL 305P's. I can connect to it from my phone via bluetooth but when I use a standard USB cable to connect it does not work.

thoughts?

HorizonsEdge

Hi @HorizonsEdge,

the JBL 305P is a studio monitor without a USB port. Sorry I don't get your question.

Nick
Phone connects via BT. Phone does not work when I use USB cable between phone and DAC.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
USB-A and USB-C (FYI).

Attachments

• 22.png
    22.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 90

Ziroz

3 prongs to the power outlet with 2 prongs that plug into the SU-6 end, and an extra green wire sticking out to attach to a separate ground.
That sounds like the headphone amp sh6, not the dac su6

linuxfan

iPhone or Android?
Since HorizonsEdge has chosen not to respond, I will offer this information for others who read this forum thread and wish to know about USB audio output from a smartphone:
for iOS devices such as iPhone and iPad - Apple allows USB audio output from iOS devices only via an authorised cable, which they market as the Apple Camera Connection Kit - model MD821AM/A or MK0W2AM/A.
For Android devices - you must use a USB OTG cable, which (when plugged in correctly) specifies the Android device as host, and DAC as slave. This more accurately explains the rather confusing earlier post about USB adapter + cable.

Transmaniacon

Is this still the cheapest DAC with an internal power supply? I’d like to replace my Topping D30 to clean up the power brick in my stereo system and thought this could be a nice option. Is there anything from Topping that is comparable with an internal power supply for around the same price?

Transmaniacon

Yes ... well, the cheapest good DAC with internal power supply.
I think Topping only offers internal power supplies on their high-end models.
Thanks, yeah of the ones that are recommended. Is there anything higher up the SMSL foodchain that is worth it? I just stream music from my Apple AirPort Express but would like to move to an iPad hard-wired system for hi res content.

linuxfan

Is there anything higher up the SMSL foodchain that is worth it?
I can't say. The last time I did a DAC listening comparison was 8 or 9 years ago, when the modern crop of DAC's were not available.
The audio scientists on this forum will probably tell you that the figures prove you cannot hear a difference, anyway. I will keep an open mind about it, since tomorrow's wisdom usually mocks today's wisdom, and this forum has no monopoly on knowledge to start with.
Of the forum members who do bravely offer opinions on differences in sound, I recall a few comments about the SMSL SU-9n (US$340 Black Friday price) being particularly good bang-for-buck. It might be worth searching this forum (and elsewhere) about this.

would like to move to an iPad hard-wired system
You may know it already, but you will need an Apple Camera Connection Kit, or licensed third-party equivalent.

Transmaniacon

I can't say. The last time I did a DAC listening comparison was 8 or 9 years ago, when the modern crop of DAC's were not available.
The audio scientists on this forum will probably tell you that the figures prove you cannot hear a difference, anyway. I will keep an open mind about it, since tomorrow's wisdom usually mocks today's wisdom, and this forum has no monopoly on knowledge to start with.
Of the forum members who do bravely offer opinions on differences in sound, I recall a few comments about the SMSL SU-9n (US$340 Black Friday price) being particularly good bang-for-buck. It might be worth searching this forum (and elsewhere) about this.

You may know it already, but you will need an Apple Camera Connection Kit, or licensed third-party equivalent.
Thanks I’ve got one already!

Ziroz

A USB-C to USB-C data cable also does not work for me. But I found something interesting: @Acerun @Masterbrewer @Gradius

It is not an issue with the DAC as such but with the cable/smartphone... Using a Samsung USB-A to USB-C adapter connected to the smartphone (Samsung S10) and using a "standard USB-A to USB-C" cable is working like a charm. All audio is routed through the DAC to my audio system.

But it only works if the adapter is connected to the smartphone. If you connect the adapter to the DAC and connect the cable the other way round does not work.

View attachment 208659

I am not an expert in cables but I would like to understand the differences!
Any idea what could be causing this?

HorizonsEdge

Since HorizonsEdge has chosen not to respond, I will offer this information for others who read this forum thread and wish to know about USB audio output from a smartphone:
for iOS devices such as iPhone and iPad - Apple allows USB audio output from iOS devices only via an authorised cable, which they market as the Apple Camera Connection Kit - model MD821AM/A or MK0W2AM/A.
For Android devices - you must use a USB OTG cable, which (when plugged in correctly) specifies the Android device as host, and DAC as slave. This more accurately explains the rather confusing earlier post about USB adapter + cable.
Got the OTG adapter today. USB performance crushes BT. Thanks for your help.

Toph17

@amirm I currently have a Douk Audio P1 which has bluetooth which has failed. I'm going to get it reimbursed. Do you think the SU-6 is superior to the Douk?

Top Bottom