• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps I don't understand you correctly but I'm still not really sure why you don't directly stream to the SU-6's LDAC capable Bluetooth receiver.
What is the purpose of the ifi in this particular setup?
I think putting the LDAC signal through the Zen Blue at 124db of Sinad provides a higher quality signal to the SU-6. In fact Amir stated that it's as good as using USB. For $130 the Zen Blue is a very good bluetooth digital transport.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think putting the LDAC signal through the Zen Blue at 124db of Sinad provides a higher quality signal to the SU-6. In fact Amir stated that it's as good as using USB. For $130 the Zen Blue is a very good bluetooth digital transport.
I bet the LDAC signal through the SU-6's receiver will be just as good as using the iFi.. from what i see they both use the same Qualcomm bluetooth chip. So why put more devices in the signal path. I'm confident you will not hear the difference in a volume matched double blind test.
The iFi is just a bridge, digital in and digital out. I don't see why it would be any better at that then the Bluetooth receiver of the SU-6.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet the LDAC signal through the SU-6's receiver will be just as good as using the iFi.. from what i see they both use the same Qualcomm bluetooth chip. So why put more devices in the signal path. I'm confident you will not hear the difference in a volume matched double blind test.
The iFi is just a bridge, digital in and digital out. I don't see why it would be any better at that then the Bluetooth receiver of the SU-6.
I wish Amir would have tested the Bluetooth on the SU-6. Maybe double-blind I wouldn't know, but to me adding the Ifi sounds more detailed as I switch back and forth. Subjective, I know. Why do you think Amir would go out if his way to point out that the Ifi with a good DAC would have the same level of quality as USB? I would think it's because the Ifi decodes and digitally passes a better signal than one can get going bluetooth direct to most DACs. @amirm might you weigh in?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today I received the SU-6. First track to send through it, was D'Angelo's Brown Sugar from CD, through optical. I've already sold my E30 so couldn't do a direct comparison, but what struck me was the "air" in the tambourines. Overall sound has a nice amount of body to it. I've ordered some new RCA's from Ali, as suggested by Youtuber "Михаил Греков" (video - watched with automatic translations, which works surprisingly well hehe).

Power cycling works great: AC ON = DAC ON, simple as that ;)

One question: does the DAC have an option to switch between preamp mode & DAC mode, like the Topping E30? Or should I just leave it at 0dB and just assume there's no quality loss?

I also tested LDAC over Bluetooth with my old Huawei P20 Pro & Google Pixel 6 and the SU-6.. The Pixel 6 definitely can't handle 990kbps (24bit), no problem with the Huawei.. But this has become a well known problem with the Pixel 6 lineup.
For Pixel 6: Try this under developer settings and let me know what you discover. You'll have to restart the phone after making the change. I can now force 990k high audio quality without stuttering. I also see 96k via USB to my RME ADI-2FS, before I only saw 48.

Attachments

• A2DP.png
    A2DP.png
    846 KB · Views: 124

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir thinks it would be the same. You are right. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So my SMSL SU -6 won't recognize USB-C to USBC connections. I reinstalled the driver. It will recognize USBA to USBC but on phone and on computer it will not go USBC to USBC. Anyone else have this issue?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I

it also will display the DSD, like 64, 128, 256, 512, and a DSD icon will light up.
Hi Liu. My SU-6 will not connect USB-C to USB-C. It will not connect by phone and it will not connect by laptop usbc to usbc. It will connect by laptop USB-A to USB c. I reinstalled the driver even though it said it was the same driver. That did not change anything. Can you help me with any way I can get my SU6 to work USBC to USBC?

RandomEar

Hi Liu. My SU-6 will not connect USB-C to USB-C. It will not connect by phone and it will not connect by laptop usbc to usbc. It will connect by laptop USB-A to USB c. I reinstalled the driver even though it said it was the same driver. That did not change anything. Can you help me with any way I can get my SU6 to work USBC to USBC?
Two things to check:
  • Is your USB C cable able to transfer data? There are cables which are wired up only for power. And it could also be defective.
  • Did you try plugging in one side of the cable rotated by 180°? The plugs are symmetrical and the USB C specification requires all plugs and sockets to work in either position. But some manufacturers cheap out and implement non-standard solutions.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two things to check:
  • Is your USB C cable able to transfer data? There are cables which are wired up only for power. And it could also be defective.
  • Did you try plugging in one side of the cable rotated by 180°? The plugs are symmetrical and the USB C specification requires all plugs and sockets to work in either position. But some manufacturers cheap out and implement non-standard solutions.
Thank you, I've tried multiple cables, but just to be safe, I'm ordering a USBC to USBC cable that's made for Oculus high speed data transfer. I will update once I've tried it.

TNT

Will the DAC at power turn on, set itself to 0 dB attenuation and use the last used filter?

I would not like to have to communicate in any way with the thing and still get full level out and a certain filter at every power on.

Can it work like this?

//

melvinjames

Forum Donor
@TNT .. in my experience it retains the last settings regardless of putting it in standby, switching it OFF, or unplugging it entirely.

Reactions: TNT

TNT

So, symphonic orchestra lowers and SU-6 owners... are you satisfied with the strings and horns from your DAC? :)

//

TNT

"at"?... from! ;-)

I have received a SU-6 and initial impressions is very favourable. It seems to reproduce the recorded material in a very satisfying way. Strings, horns and all :)

I run it immediately from a Squeezbox Touch using Toslink on the smsl tightest PLL setting for least jitter and the brickwall (7) filter.

//

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the USB input of my SU-6 is defective. So I have to pay $28 to send it to China to get it fixed and I'm without it for a month...

TNT

I forgot my remote at home - what communication standard does it use - can one use an "one-for-all" remote to change volume - thats all I need...

//

Top Bottom