• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Conclusions
Yes, we all get bored with one more desktop DAC with great performance. Here though, there is innovation in packaging and styling which works very well. The SU-6 definitely made me smile when I first powered it on in this regard.

I am happy to recommend the SMSL SU-6.
Thx for review, Amir! It is a fine product and measures really well. As for features - ye, why would u need a power supply for a DAC? Some DACs use the same USB for input signal and for power. There is also no Preamp (and no remote control) function at this relatively high price point. But there is bluetooth, for those who needs it. I guess it will depend on your needs.

fritobugger

Thx for review, Amir! It is a fine product and measures really well. As for features - ye, why would u need a power supply for a DAC? Some DACs use the same USB for input signal and for power. There is also no Preamp (and no remote control) function at this relatively high price point. But there is bluetooth, for those who needs it. I guess it will depend on your needs.
It has a remote control and can be used as a digital pre-amp.

MalinYamato

Amazing they can do all that for that price, and have an internal PSU.

Does the bluetooth cause any interference or drop in quality?
I love SMSL for trheir internal PSUs -- I am sick of external power bricks.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious if anyone has received one from Shenzhen Audio yet? Mine is in transit, no idea how long it might take.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here. Estimated delivery around Dec 20.
Curious as to where you see the estimate? They gave me a link to 17Track but it doesn't show an estimate. Black hole until the package hits USPS I believe.

MRC01

Major Contributor
IME, these Chi-Fi companies have non-existent factory support. So I buy through Amazon in order to have the generous return policy and not have to deal with the manufacturer. Tracking just says, "shipped with 4PX". No other details.

mrlongar

Smsl doesn't release firmware update on their dac if any bugs occur u have to ship back the item to china .. unlike topping release firmware update on their dac every now and then

MRC01

Major Contributor
That's good to know. When it arrives I'll ring it out as well as I can. If I find any bugs (as I did with the EX5) I'll simply return it.

(Note to @SHENZHENAUDIO) The only reason I bought the SU-6 was because of the EX5 bugs (displaying incorrect sample rate and undocumented left channel auto-mute).
If they fix the EX5 bugs before my return window closes, I'm keeping the EX5 and will return the SU-6.
If they don't fix the EX5 bugs and the SU-6 is bug-free, the EX5 is going back and I'm keeping the SU-6.
Otherwise, I'm returning both and will consider other devices.

mrlongar

Smsl devices are all problematic,, no support ..no future firmware updates.. if there is bug they will ask u to return the unit to china with buyer has to pay the freight and custom charges to china.. they will fix it not thru firmware update..they are all after profit not welfare of the customer unlike the U.S.A. Firm

Nick_L

Forum Donor
Hello mrlongar,

please don't blame SMSL so much. I am quite happy with the quality of their products as I am using an SA-36A for years and never had any issues. If I should encounter any issues I will still have Shenzenaudio for support as well as SMSL. And I have to consider delay caused by transportation of course. BTW I am also not aware of any US company not looking for profit. ;)

Cheers Nick

pwn87

how do you read the thd+n vs frequency?
does it mean that filter 1 is best? (or does that one have a too early rolloff?)

fritobugger

Hello mrlongar,

please don't blame SMSL so much. I am quite happy with the quality of their products as I am using an SA-36A for years and never had any issues. If I should encounter any issues I will still have Shenzenaudio for support as well as SMSL. And I have to consider delay caused by transportation of course. BTW I am also not aware of any US company not looking for profit. ;)

Cheers Nick
Similar experience for me. SA-36A and M8 DAC for years. M8 is used daily and sounds great. If I could get the M8 sound with more modern features I would be very happy.

MalinYamato

No MQA :(

bogi

MQA is lossy format which was propagated as lossless and "as artist intended". When people analyzed the format and found that it is not true, they changed the propaganda for "perceptually lossless", like MP3 at higher bitrates also is or may be.
Tidal is currently streaming no lossless content. From source: https://goldensound.audio/2021/11/29/tidal-hifi-is-not-lossless/
– ‘MASTER’ quality setting – Track streamed in MQA. Tidal client or your DAC can do the unfolding depending on setup. MQA is not lossless.
– ‘HiFi’ quality setting – Track streamed in what was claimed to be ‘lossless’, but it was actually seemingly just the MQA version without any MQA flagging or metadata, so it would not be unfolded. And is also not lossless.
– ‘High/Normal’ – Track streamed in compressed format.

How is the future of MQA seen by some audiophiles today: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/?do=findComment&comment=1171946

Top Bottom