• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

Galke6

Does anyone knows about the Bluetooth? I mean, is this a receptor and transmitter of Bluetooth or is only a receptor?

pwn87

Does anyone knows about the Bluetooth? I mean, is this a receptor and transmitter of Bluetooth or is only a receptor?
only receptor.. it also wouldnt make sense because the entire purpose of this device is digital to analog conversion

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today I received the SU-6. First track to send through it, was D'Angelo's Brown Sugar from CD, through optical. I've already sold my E30 so couldn't do a direct comparison, but what struck me was the "air" in the tambourines. Overall sound has a nice amount of body to it. I've ordered some new RCA's from Ali, as suggested by Youtuber "Михаил Греков" (video - watched with automatic translations, which works surprisingly well hehe).

Power cycling works great: AC ON = DAC ON, simple as that ;)

One question: does the DAC have an option to switch between preamp mode & DAC mode, like the Topping E30? Or should I just leave it at 0dB and just assume there's no quality loss?

I also tested LDAC over Bluetooth with my old Huawei P20 Pro & Google Pixel 6 and the SU-6.. The Pixel 6 definitely can't handle 990kbps (24bit), no problem with the Huawei.. But this has become a well known problem with the Pixel 6 lineup.
Screnshot from my Pixel6 LDAC via Quboz...looks like it can

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220204-173354.png
    Screenshot_20220204-173354.png
    561.2 KB · Views: 162

860lacov

Is remote must have with this unit or can everything be changed with the touch button ?

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is half the price of the Topping E50 and uses the same chip. I am now thinking if the E50 really will be worth it....what does anyone think? I dont need balanced or a remote and wonder if that is what the price bump on the E50 is all about...which it probably is. I am more inclined to go with coax over optical on any dac but the SU6 seems to show a little struggle here which the E50 may sail through calmly...

Schlippwhip68

Thanks @amirm for the review and congratulations on something I don't think I've ever seen before - your review of the SMSL SU6 is the only, and I mean the only, result that Google returned when I did a Google search [SMSL SU6]! As with @raif71 I wanted to know what chipset SMSL used [is it an ESS mobile chip or the Rohm used in their D300?] , but I guess until SMSL or Shenzhenaudio get it up on their web sites [or @amirm gets permission to open it up] I'll have to put up with my curiosity unsatiated. Like @amirm I'm really taken by the aesthetics of this little thing. I know I had a real whinge about the aesthetics of the display on the SU-9, but SMSL's latest offerings are much more to my liking with this and the D300 being very nice indeed. Really, for the price this is excellent and ought to be near the top of anyone's list looking for a sub $200 unbalanced dac. [Come on SMSL, stick some trs jacks on this thing and give the Topping E50 a run for its money:)]
I am not sure if this would compare with the E50 in regards to jitter over coaxial...would it?

Lupin

Ok, my mistake, thankyou...still both good chips regardless.
Chips alone don't mean anything.

Besides that I never read or heard anywhere that a person is able to actually hear the difference between a ESS9028, ESS9038Q2M, ESS9038PRO, AK4490, AK4493, AK4497 or AK4499.
Marketing materials are nice and the numbers look attractive but you wont hear the difference.

Schlippwhip68

Chips alone don't mean anything.

Besides that I never read or heard anywhere that a person is able to actually hear the difference between a ESS9028, ESS9038Q2M, ESS9038PRO, AK4490, AK4493, AK4497 or AK4499.
Marketing materials are nice and the numbers look attractive but you wont hear the difference.
True. Different implementation's of the same chip give different results. Agreed.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir should be reviewing the sister amp, the SH-6 very soon. By all accounts it looks like a high value performer like the SU-6.

Schlippwhip68

Can anyone explain..sorry..what Digital PLL (DPPL) is on the SU6? I ask because I wish to use coaxial but am a bit nervous over Amirs results here. So what is Digital PLL (DPPL) and how do i change it to the best setting on the SU6 or would i be better off looking elsewhere for coaxial harmony?

Veri

Master Contributor
Can anyone explain..sorry..what Digital PLL (DPPL) is on the SU6? I ask because I wish to use coaxial but am a bit nervous over Amirs results here. So what is Digital PLL (DPPL) and how do i change it to the best setting on the SU6 or would i be better off looking elsewhere for coaxial harmony?
Phase lock loop, it is to lower jitter. DPLL (min) has Max jitter suppression but has a harder time to lock onto signal. It's a trade-off, a noisier digital input might not play nice with max PLL setting. So it's nice that you can play with it in the UI..

Schlippwhip68

Phase lock loop, it is to lower jitter. DPLL (min) has Max jitter suppression but has a harder time to lock onto signal. It's a trade-off, a noisier digital input might not play nice with max PLL setting. So it's nice that you can play with it in the UI..
Ok...getting there in my head...bare with me...where in the UI can i manipulate the PLL setting on the SU6? Is it one of the filter options..?

Veri

Master Contributor
Ok...getting there in my head...bare with me...where in the UI can i manipulate the PLL setting on the SU6? Is it one of the filter options..?
I'm.. not sure :D All I see is that Amir found it in "the options".

Schlippwhip68

I'm.. not sure :D All I see is that Amir found it in "the options".
Check this out!

Purity86

So I have it running on Bluetooth but it isn't showing me the bitrate...just says Ld which I take to mean LDAC.

PS it sounds fantastic with my new JBL 305Ps in the garage.
I'm still looking for a DAC for my TV with my JBL 305p MII, and I'm worried about preamp performance!?
I started with E30, and I canceled my order for this matter, and I did read about DX30pro+ and I didn't love the reviews about it (in the pre-amp perspective).
And now I'm reading about SU-6, so do you recommend it?
I will use it directly: TV>optical>SU-6> JBL 305 (controlled by the remote).

Top Bottom