• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-6 crackling sound issue

MRC01

Major Contributor
have a look at this thread, seems like SU9 has the same problem, there's also a solution (ways beyond my capabilities ..)

Well, it could be that. The clock chip on mine says 32 MHz (his was 24 MHz) but the circuit and problem might be the same.

Desoldering the power supply from the board was easy enough, but my soldering skills aren't quite up to these tiny SMD components. I am hoping that SMSL will either replace the entire unit, or send me a new board. The latter might be cheaper and easier for them since I can keep my case (which is metal), display, remote, etc. We'll see.

The email support is so frustrating. One simple one-line message per day, and today's is sending them my order # for the 3rd time. <sigh>

MRC01

Major Contributor
OK so I found a friend who doesn't care about 2HD at -60 dB, and the unit is otherwise functional, so he's getting a free DAC.

To their credit, SMSL did offer to repair it. But I'd have to ship it to China which is prohibitively expensive, especially since it risks not getting it back at all, held up in customs (which have gotten tricky with recent world events), or getting it back after a technician plugs it in, sees that it works, and returns it to me in the same state it's in now because he saw that it works and he never measured distortion.

So rather than risk throwing good money after bad, I get to help a friend in need. :)

Essar

This is my SMSL SU-9 Pro recording. It may require VLC media player. It is horrifying.

Attachments

• SMSL corruption.zip
    703.5 KB · Views: 46
Top Bottom