• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-10 - the next "best" DAC coming soon!?

RandomEar

Thanks for the heads-up! Any particular stores you'd have in mind?
I would be hesitant to recommend any, as I've heard about - to put it mildly - "varying degrees" of after sales service Last time I ordered somtehing, it was from hifigo.com and the purchase and delivery went smoothly, but I didn't need any after sales service until know.

Maybe someone else has some positive experiences to share about specific sellers?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Id rather they have gone for 8 channel output with DIRAC as a $200 add on
Not gonna happen. Like never ever.
Seriously, what is the market for a $900 dac in 2022/2023?
Some that want their products to last. Or specific features that are non-exitants in Topping/S.M.S.L ranges.

Toni Mas

Imho using an 8 channels dac chip like the ESS top of the range to hook a pricy 2 channels only Dac with marginal measured performance improvement (sinad rules...) and no audible benefit is a pointless waste of resources and money... But try to explain this to a Ferrari owner...

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Imho using an 8 channels dac chip like the ESS top of the range to hook a pricy 2 channels only Dac with marginal measured performance improvement (sinad rules...) and no audible benefit is a pointless waste of resources and money... But try to explain this to a Ferrari owner...
Yeah, SMSL SU-9n is more than enough.

rona123

I just received my SMSL SU-10 a few days ago.

The Bluethoot coverage area is quite deficient, forcing the Laptop to be in the same environment as PC.

It does not inform the sampling rate in the USB connections with the PC even installing the driver recommended by the manufacturer.

The manufacturer does not allow support communication through the official website and sellers are not committed to solving after-sales problems.

The audio quality is much lower than my SA-11S3 from Marantz.

Disappointing for the price, the shortcomings and the lack of support.

sloth

I just received my SMSL SU-10 a few days ago.

The Bluethoot coverage area is quite deficient, forcing the Laptop to be in the same environment as PC.

It does not inform the sampling rate in the USB connections with the PC even installing the driver recommended by the manufacturer.

The manufacturer does not allow support communication through the official website and sellers are not committed to solving after-sales problems.

The audio quality is much lower than my SA-11S3 from Marantz.

Disappointing for the price, the shortcomings and the lack of support.

I had no problem with the sampling rate. I'm using a Mac. Windows will often play through system audio regardless of your driver, so you may need to look up WASAPI so you can get exclusive use.

I thought the audio quality was great. I sold my Chord DAVE.

rona123

I am using windows 10 in a DELL laptop.

My objective was compare high resolution FLAC audio files from a latop in other room in my house using Bluetooth connection. It do no meet any objectives.

The sound quality is pessoal, but it is very clear to have best audio direct from SACD player than from DAC.

Let wait to see if a new firmware solve this issue (sampling rate) as the USB drive did not. I hope other windows user share their experiences with this issue.

Last edited:

Ziroz

SMSL should release something with this form factor (maybe slightly taller/thicker) that also has a SOTA headamp/BT etc. To compete with DX7 Pro+, since Topping refuses to release a Dx9/DX90.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg
Here is the dx9 for you

Reactions: jae
Top Bottom