• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-10 - the next "best" DAC coming soon!?

The SU-10 has what version of Bluetooth?
It seems like that is easy to find out for all of the other SMSL and Topping DACs. The newer DACs are usually v5.0.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Love the fact that Rover liked your post about pets. :D

When I mentioned to the hound that Class-D meant digital, she turned her head and said, “No sir, is Class-D for Dog, meaning I will not get shocked or burnt, and it sounds good to my hearing.”

9C9F5C29-68F1-473F-89F1-81F6453103EB.jpeg

Then when i asked about walking into the chewy toy, she said, “It tames the bass from the woofer.” :facepalm:

I don’t know how she comes up with it.
But I listen to the sage advice.

Rover

It seems to me alone that the discussion of dogs and cats is completely out of the topic!:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Rover

The sect of dogs and cats, confused the topic for communication.:eek:
Administrator select a separate topic for animal lovers.Help dog and cat lovers.They really, really want it.:)

Attachments

• cat-dog6.gif
    cat-dog6.gif
    606.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Btw...

V5.50 (September 8, 2022)
-----------------------------------------------------

* New: support for Windows 11 (22H2) x64

* New: support for Windows 11 (22H2) arm64

* Fix: USB IN buffer count was limited to 16 buffers, this lead to not enough buffers for high ASIO buffers sizes (e.g. 48kHz and 1024 samples)

* Fix: preferred ASIO buffer size are not restored after driver unload/load

* Fix: MIDI functions could become a ASIO device (e.g. if the device has dedicated Audio and MIDI functions)

* Chg: documentation

UltraNearFieldJock

The sect of dogs and cats, confused the topic for communication.:eek:
Sorry, I suppose you haven’t understood the subtle irony with the pets? We don’t need a new DAC from China for 900$ with 2 or more transformers for every chip and chick CNC-case like boutique-DAC’s, we need and waiting for good and law-cost-products with more functionality!!! This improvement is not more system-relevant!

Reactions: MCH

jae

Major Contributor
SMSL should release something with this form factor (maybe slightly taller/thicker) that also has a SOTA headamp/BT etc. To compete with DX7 Pro+, since Topping refuses to release a Dx9/DX90.

Rover

Btw...

V5.50 (September 8, 2022)
-----------------------------------------------------

* New: support for Windows 11 (22H2) x64

* New: support for Windows 11 (22H2) arm64

* Fix: USB IN buffer count was limited to 16 buffers, this lead to not enough buffers for high ASIO buffers sizes (e.g. 48kHz and 1024 samples)

* Fix: preferred ASIO buffer size are not restored after driver unload/load

* Fix: MIDI functions could become a ASIO device (e.g. if the device has dedicated Audio and MIDI functions)

* Chg: documentation
Good.:)Now there are not even user reviews and SMSL has started updating drivers and firmware.
+1.png

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i suspect that any older BT5.0 equipment cant be firmware upgraded to 5.5 - it needs new silicon.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I would love it if that were the case but it seems like many manufacturers love that 'planned obsolecence'.

KimbaWLion

There are always improvements. I have had an SMSL D1 for 3 plus years I got on Drop, for a REALLY good price to MSRP ratio. It sounds awesome to me, even though it's NOT on the recommend list from Amir and been discontinued anyway awhile ago. I truly wonder if I would really gain anything. There are a LOT of good DACs in the under $1K region. I have seen SOME reviews saying the Geshelli with the new AKM 4493 is an amazing DAC and the Cheap Audioman says it's his choice for under 1K. It's a GOOD time if you need a DAC and have under $1K to spend, you have a LOT of awesome choices! I m not even sure what I would pick next...

Rover

With a great imagination, you can write anything and that $ 200 = $ 1000 and that it was the wooden case that greatly influenced the sound.:)I wonder if anyone believes this?:facepalm:

Opera Снимок_2022-10-03_120246_yandex.ru.png

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With a great imagination, you can write anything and that $ 200 = $ 1000 and that it was the wooden case that greatly influenced the sound.:)I wonder if anyone believes this?:facepalm:
Wood? $50 more. Influence on sound? No. Just the looks.

Rover

The appearance is also questionable.The crooked location of the board hints at this.The manufacturer just decided to raise money, seconomil on the shielded metal case and the quality of the assembly.:facepalm:
Opera Снимок_2022-10-03_120246_yandex.ru.png

sloth

I got my SU-10 today, bought one to play around with. I need to get XLR interconnects though for a proper comparison, the most noticeable change from the incumbent (a $10k+ product with a person's name) was how weak RCA output is on the SU-10. I have a Burson Soloist 3X GT, which is 10W of Class A and can usually get a Susvara to ear-splitting levels, but I needed 70% of Hi Gain to get them moving. Using them on DAC-only mode, fixed at -3.0db. The specs tell me the XLR should send a lot more juice to the power amp though.

Box feels like a cheap piece of crap and the 1.5" screen belongs in a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta, but no complaints on the sound and it's 90% cheaper than what I'm used to. Haven't played with colors or filters yet and will try a better A/B once I can get an XLR interconnect and have them both set up at the same time for reasonably quick switching.

Top Bottom