• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-10 - the next "best" DAC coming soon!?

godmax

Seems the SMSL SU-10 with dual ESS9038Pro will be released soon and might give the current top DAC list a serious competition again.
@WolfX-700 already measured it on his site - looks promising!

305850913_5365697543546310_1983956165305696949_n.jpg

Kitarist

Here are the measurements from L7 Audio Lab:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Shame that Wolf didn't use the Cosmos APU to measure actual THD+N, like he did with the D90SE.
The way it is now he's just measuring the THD+N of his APx555 over and over again.
1528516561604.png

MCH

Major Contributor
Two usb inputs isn't common, is it?

iamsms

Two usb inputs isn't common, is it?
Not very common. I think there is one from soncoz. and the fiio k9?

Anyway, I have the SU-9, with which I am very happy. It will be interesting to see if Su-10 brings anything new in terms of feature as SU-9 already measures very well.

Although, other than built in streamer and DSP, I can't think of anything I would like to see in a dac that isn't in SU-9.

UltraNearFieldJock

Do we need really a better SINAD? I need more functions please – I’m ready to pay for it good money : 8 channels, DSP (filters, PEQ for SPL an phase = FIR + IIR), digital-crossfeed with delay…. 120 dB it’s for me enough! I don't buy a new DAC due to a few dBs! it's for me irrelevant - a new type of snake oil?

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do we need really a better SINAD? I need more functions please – I’m ready to pay for it good money : 8 channels, DSP (filters, PEQ for SPL an phase = FIR + IIR), digital-crossfeed with delay…. 120 dB it’s for me enough! I don't buy a new DAC due to a few dBs! it's for me irrelevant - a new type of snake oil?
Actually, after 120dB only cats can enjoy something.

About the new puppy... by looking at images, price tag will likely be over $1000.

Last edited:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's on official site now:

It's a pitty they still support the infamous mqa-crap.

UltraNearFieldJock

Actually, after 120dB only dogs and cats can enjoy something.

About the new puppy... by looking at images, price tag will likely be over $1000.
I learned samething new: dogs hear better not only more Hz's, but a few dB's also, but perhaps not enough to have real joy with a new DAC above 120 dB and more then 1K$ .

human%20v%20dog%20hearing.jpg
silent%20whistle.jpg

Sokel

Master Contributor
Nice to see them improved every 6 months or so (not in features thought) and at the dawn of the new AKM chip release.
The "bad" thing about it is that the reselling values of products even a year long drops like a rock.

And it's ok if it's for dacs with price tag 200 euro,no one expects to upgrade selling them,but at 900 it's a little odd for the previous owners.

I strongly feel that new "flagship" models must have way more features than the previous to feel as an upgrade and moreover,in time that the previous models have prove their value,stability,durability,performance.

It's a little odd presenting something new when you still fix problems (through firmware) of the old ones.

UltraNearFieldJock

This one is even more inaudibly improved over the last inaudibly better one?
It's the good description of the development of DAC's (by the in my opinion best hifi-tech-companies) last years. Only miniDAC is in the position to do something interesting for a real improvement of the performance our listening-setups with its FLEX?

Hemi-Demon

$900 for a dual 9038 pro dac, when those chips are now the "old model" is a bit much. The improved screen is PLUS, dual power supplies is a PLUS, dual USB inputs is a PLUS, and the improved chassis is appealing but not at this price point. Id rather they have gone for 8 channel output with DIRAC as a $200 add on.

Seriously, what is the market for a $900 dac in 2022/2023?

Ctjacks336

Visually very nice looking dac. Enjoyed my sh-8s. Wish the price point was lower though

Top Bottom