• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-10 - the next "best" DAC coming soon!?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's on official site now:

It's a pitty they still support the infamous mqa-crap.
No, it isn’t a pity. When Tidal finally dumps MQA, then it will be appropriate for manufacturers to dump the tech. I’m as resentful of MQA’s scheming as everyone else, but unfortunately Tidal has acquired a considerable number of exceptional masters in their catalogue, in quite a few instances superior to Qobuz’s. In some instances Qobuz has the superior master for some of my favorite albums. Therefore I subscribe to both services and connect to them via Roon, and add the version that sounds best to me to my library—if I can’t find any reviews comparing the two.

I know it’s fashionable to trash MQA, but I don’t blame manufacturers for including that little XMOS in their DACs and charging the extra 10 bucks. They’re making their gear capable of meeting the needs of the greatest number of users. It’s not the gear companies who are perpetuating MQA’s dominance, it’s the record labels and Tidal themselves. All I care about is getting access to the highest quality master of my music as I can.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$900 for a dual 9038 pro dac, when those chips are now the "old model" is a bit much. The improved screen is PLUS, dual power supplies is a PLUS, dual USB inputs is a PLUS, and the improved chassis is appealing but not at this price point. Id rather they have gone for 8 channel output with DIRAC as a $200 add on.

Seriously, what is the market for a $900 dac in 2022/2023?
Honestly, are dual DAC chips and power supplies really a plus for a digital device? Topping and Gustard have produced two of the best measuring DACs on the market with a single chip, utilizing all eight channels. And why do we need dual power supplies for a device that is nothing more than a computer really, that provides no amplification? Do we need two power supplies in our laptops?

Holmz

Major Contributor
Yes, cats are the champions in hearing, they need really a better DAC!

comparison_fix.jpg
mfig002.jpg

What sort of music do your cats and dogs like to listen to?

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
$900
Performance wise, not sure you're going to get anything more than something cheaper, anyhow. This one is even more inaudibly improved over the last inaudibly better one? Still quite happy with my SU-8, to be honest.
I'm planning to upgrade to SMSL SU-9n. I could right now, but have other priorities 1st: new HDD, monitor, GPU, etc.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they focus is not some dudes on ASR who wants to “upgrade” every 3 month ?

But new customers buying thier first DAC . And new competive products in this space .

As almost all DAC’s you buy are good enough you only change it when it breaks or a feature you need becomes available.

I bought a topping D70 when I made a headphone rig next to my computer, my first new DAC in 15 years , so there was nothing to replace.

In my hifi I have active speakers the included DAC’s are probably ok I don’t know what they are

ank spec

I am really curious if this new dac can compete with Gustard X26 pro in terms of SQ.
Isn't Gustard employ more discrete components than SU-10?

Rover

SMSL SU-9n is a great DAC and the new SU-10 is a very much improved version of it.SMSL We added a good two power supplies for each channel as well as the correct implementation for the ES9038PRO pair.
Very similar to the Gustard X26, but twice cheaper, which is welcome.$900 is a good price for such quality.:)
-1.jpg
Opera Снимок_2022-09-11_141709_www.smsl-audio.com.png
202209081435526696_.jpg

Attachments

• Opera Снимок_2022-09-11_141753_www.smsl-audio.com.png
    Opera Снимок_2022-09-11_141753_www.smsl-audio.com.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really like my SMSL DO200... wondering if this SU-10 blows it out of the water or is an upgrade I won't be able to hear.
I've had the ho200/do200 combo, the only audible upgrade to that DAC was the Topping a90 amp I just got in. There's really no where to go from that DAC. If you have a Springer Spaniel who listens to dog whistle quartets, or a brown bear who watches nature documentaries, maybe they would notice an upgrade.
I've hit a wall on stuff and have a Hifiman Arya coming in, upgraded from the HE-560 and it should be noticable...

JSmith

Master Contributor
I really like my SMSL DO200... wondering if this SU-10 blows it out of the water or is an upgrade I won't be able to hear.
Yeah... nah;

1663654324687.png

JSmith

Rover

The characteristics of the SU-10.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opera Снимок_2022-09-20_103007_www.smsl-audio.com.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The characteristics of the SU-10 are certainly better than those of the DO 200 and they are assembled on higher-quality dacs, the SU10 dac itself is more presentable and cool, but it's not so easy to hear.
L3000.gif

Last edited:

wav3form

I've had the ho200/do200 combo, the only audible upgrade to that DAC was the Topping a90 amp I just got in. There's really no where to go from that DAC. If you have a Springer Spaniel who listens to dog whistle quartets, or a brown bear who watches nature documentaries, maybe they would notice an upgrade.
I've hit a wall on stuff and have a Hifiman Arya coming in, upgraded from the HE-560 and it should be noticable...
Thanks and I've been struggling to comprehend why I should buy something like a Chord Dave over any SMSL. There has to be subtleties that drive people to spend $10,000+ on a DAC (other than aesthetics).

I'll likely just get a RME ADI-2 for the EQ section.

Last edited:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, it looks like is out:

Too bad they still insist supporting that mqa-crap.

Top Bottom