• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-10 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 15.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 76.9%

• Total voters

zajogungster

Dear zajongungster!
I don't think you have a clue what ASR is all about. It's not about the tonal characters, that's for sure. ASR members use instruments to measure the performance of their devices, thus eliminating the effects of human subjectivity. Your forum is on head-fi.org, where we are considered ASR idiots.
dear DRuszaT
I am not an English speaking person, please read with understanding! the gentleman asked about the difference in sound and it is simply there! and big. so I advise you to buy according to the price, appearance, because every one of the first 100 is perfect, it's terrible nonsense!

zajogungster

Dear zajongungster!
I don't think you have a clue what ASR is all about. It's not about the tonal characters, that's for sure. ASR members use instruments to measure the performance of their devices, thus eliminating the effects of human subjectivity. Your forum is on head-fi.org, where we are considered ASR idiots.
and as for me personally, I understand the subject matter and I have never bought or made anything that was not subjected to measurement tests! I believe in numbers, not opinions!

Veri

Master Contributor
this post is very funny, because it's "nonsense", every DAC has its own character, whether we like it or not.. I own a few of these machines and the face and appearance are irrelevant, or they say nothing about the sound! so such confusing contributions are fine on the forums type (I think)
Hate me those bad character DACs! They must have gotten some seriously lacking education :facepalm:

ROQUE

Z, thanks a lot for your help.
Today I use a NU AUDIO sound card with DAC, I have a reasonable sound image, I think SMSL will be more accurate....

zajogungster

Z, thanks a lot for your help.
Today I use a NU AUDIO sound card with DAC, I have a reasonable sound image, I think SMSL will be more accurate....
with pleasure,
I listen from PC, Tidal, Audirvana (ASIO, WASAPI) and you have to pay attention to the settings... but after a long time the sound from the stream is comparable to CDplayer, in many ways better.
the disadvantage is that a lot of music and therefore bad audio recordings cannot be heard, as a result of exposure :)

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
I've just uploaded the latest firmware for the SMSL SU-10 @v1.03. Downloaded file from Shenzhenaudio as usual. There were no accompanying notes with the latest version - as usual!

Harley90

I have not upgraded mine since purchase, oct of last year....can I just upload the V1.03 file with no issue? or do I need to do each update in order?

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
I have not upgraded mine since purchase, oct of last year....can I just upload the V1.03 file with no issue? or do I need to do each update in order?
Well my thoughts are that SMSL advise to upload the latest firmware which suggests previous releases are covered by the latest. Similar to bios updates for PCs.

boomtheroom

What does these measurements mean in the real world? it will be totally transparent of the source?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
What does these measurements mean in the real world? it will be totally transparent of the source?
Yes if you have 105 SINAD or more it should be totally transparent. 120+ is scientifically provably transparent outside of the range of human hearing.

Rahan

Consider that your cannot tell the difference between 2 DACs in the blue or even in the green scale by hear. What you have to mind is : connectivity for your purpose, price and form factor, remote control eventually. You can't go wrong if you stay green and above.

zajogungster

Consider that your cannot tell the difference between 2 DACs in the blue or even in the green scale by hear. What you have to mind is : connectivity for your purpose, price and form factor, remote control eventually. You can't go wrong if you stay green and above.
you're wrong ! I own several of these DACs, the worst has SINAD -118 dB, the best -124 dB, two are from SMSL, one TOPING, Gustard...etc. There are differences and very big ones !!! soundstage, dynamics, and many other things that can be heard!

Rahan

you're wrong ! I own several of these DACs, the worst has SINAD -118 dB, the best -124 dB, two are from SMSL, one TOPING, Gustard...etc. There are differences and very big ones !!! soundstage, dynamics, and many other things
You think I'm wrong. I don't think so. Did you ABX your DACs? Can you find a true and scientific test where people have clearly hear differences between too good DACs? There is not.
Ps: sound stage is about speakers off axe response and your room. That's it. DACs, cables, rain Indians dances cannot change it.

Last edited:

zajogungster

You think I'm wrong. I don't think so. Did you ABX your DACs? Can you find a true and scientific test where people have clearly hear differences between too good DACs? There is not.
Ps: sound stage is about speaker of are response and your room. That's it. DACs, cables, rain Indians dances cannot change it.
I expected such a response. I'll leave it like that for now. By the way, I have a recording studio available.. and of course real time comparisons! Of course, the choice of DAC is always based on measurements! not the ears, but as a result the differences can be heard and not small.
But it is important to me that those interested in a product here are not misled! even if ASR does not solve what and what kind of sound it has. but my last word is that the differences are audible

Rahan

I'll be pleased to admit i'm wrong if you give me another proof than "I can hear it". Like a scientific study. Lot of people saw David Copperfield made a train vanished. there were no crazy, they were just fooled by their eyes. As we can be by our hears no matter our job.

zajogungster

I'll be pleased to admit i'm wrong if you give me another proof than "I can hear it". Like a scientific study. Lot of people saw David Copperfield made a train vanished. there were no crazy, they were just fooled by their eyes. As we can be by our hears no matter our job.
so I wasted €600 for something that is completely different, but I can't actually hear it. so why all the fuss.

Rahan

So why all the fuss? Why astrologie? Why superstition? It's easy to belive and it's plesant to seek and buy stuff.
it's no big deal.

Not easy to tell them appart even with a cheap one^^

the SMSL SU10 is an amazing DAC. Period

zajogungster

So why all the fuss? Why astrologie? Why superstition? It's easy to belive and it's plesant to seek and buy stuff.
it's no big deal.

Not easy to tell them appart even with a cheap one^^

the SMSL SU10 is an amazing DAC. Period

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom