• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-10 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 15.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 76.9%

• Total voters

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The update reduce the skips/cuts, but didnt totally eliminated them. I will try another optical cable, if that doesnt solve, I will ask for a return and refund. Cmon Topping, thats some basic stuff

Progronom

Received my SMSL SU-10 today. ...
Hi! If the device is turned on, and at the same time turn off the power - for example, pull 220 volts out of the socket, then turn it back on after a while. Will the SU-10 turn on itself? Or do I need to turn on the button on the remote control again, or on the Knob handle?

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
Hi! If the device is turned on, and at the same time turn off the power - for example, pull 220 volts out of the socket, then turn it back on after a while. Will the SU-10 turn on itself? Or do I need to turn on the button on the remote control again, or on the Knob handle?
Hi, sounds like an academic question? I’m struggling to understand what the purpose of your proposal would achieve. Could you inform us why you would chose this method, to upload firmware perhaps?

I am sorry to say that I haven’t tried anything like that before.

However, if you need to know then I guess you might need to put your experiment hat on.

Last edited:

WasM

There is no power switch on the unit. If it's plugged in and the wall power is turned on it will come on.
I leave mine on all the time.

Progronom

Hi, sounds like an academic question? I’m struggling to understand what the purpose of your proposal would achieve. Could you inform us why you would chose this method, to upload firmware perhaps?

I am sorry to say that I haven’t tried anything like that before.

However, if you need to know then I guess you might need to put your experiment hat on.
This function is called "Auto Power-ON". It is often found in household appliances, and in all personal computers.
I have an SMC DA-8, it also has this function. Question, is there an "Auto Power-ON" in SU-10?

This function is also called: Return to the last state (Power On or PowerOff) after restoring the mains supply.

upd
https://headfonics.com/smsl-su-10-review/ "There’s no physical switch stopping the SU-10 from powering on once plugged into the wall. Even when put on standby, the next time the unit receives power, it will still immediately wake up the display and be ready to use".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4708

I wonder at what point these "YAWN, 1 db SINAD better without audible differences" will take the back seat compared to support, quality and features. In the end simple rules like "you get what you pay for" still apply. I like ASR for calling out poor SNR/THD/etc when it is audible but I would appreciate if they called out lack of support too. I may be wrong but Topping and SMSL are riddled with problems and poor support.

felbj-htd.

I wonder what the mfg's will do now.... I mean if everything is SOTA then we have to find new ways to differentiate products? Really no idea..
Maybe when you aren't so busy (if that ever happens) new testing ideas can be brainstormed in order to differentiate products... amazing that we have come to this point in only a few short years.
To me, the answer is built-in DSP. Better, audible "tubes," R&R flavors, and so on.

D

Deleted member 4708

Honestly now I think they should work on adding new features and stuff that people ask for. Do better Bluetooth management, perfect the DSD / MQA implementations and so on and so forth. I'm sure we could get a thread going (if there isn't already one) that has a list of features people want to add.
How about start fixing the quality for SMSL/Topping/miniDSP? Then customer service and finally features...

dlelikov

The work of the SMSL support service is just disgusting. I wrote an email describing the problem of implementing MQA in SU-10. I have not received any response, nothing has been fixed in the new firmware. For example, FIIO support responds on the same day, responds both on forums and by mail.

DRuszaT

The work of the SMSL support service is just disgusting. I wrote an email describing the problem of implementing MQA in SU-10. I have not received any response, nothing has been fixed in the new firmware. For example, FIIO support responds on the same day, responds both on forums and by mail.
1. MQA itself is a big fuck up, only lossless compression can be superior.

2. According to them, if someone doesn't interact with you immediately, it's disgusting. You have a strange idea of the world. It says everything about this picture that you seriously thought that the problem you raised on 25 November would be addressed by the SMSL bug test team and fixed by 2 December... :D

dlelikov

I didn't even get any response, it's not support. FIIO, Ibasso responded within a couple of days,

DRuszaT

I've read that the SU-10 run very hot, is this true?
Nope. For me, it doesn't get hot at all. On an RME ADI-2 Pro you can fry eggs, on the SU-10 you have to eat them raw....

thdny

I wonder why they don't have a 12V trigger. Similar issue with topping D90 I think.

kitsura

Anyone having stuttering issues with the toslink input? I have swapped sources and cables but still face the same issue so I have narrowed it down to the SU-10 being the cause.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Anyone having stuttering issues with the toslink input? I have swapped sources and cables but still face the same issue so I have narrowed it down to the SU-10 being the cause.
TV?

Top Bottom