• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-10 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 15.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 76.9%

• Total voters

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
The "IAP_SU10_1v02_b1.hex" file
Ummm that’s not on the available list. Maybe I am not downloading the correct firmware files from the location in the lShenzenaudio link. May I ask where you obtained the latest firmware chap?

WasM

Ummm that’s not on the available list. Maybe I am not downloading the correct firmware files from the location in the lShenzenaudio link. May I ask where you obtained the latest firmware chap?
https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/#all/1
When you unzip and run the program you need to go back to the upper level folder to load the IAP hex file. It takes less than 10 secs to load but you have to be patient.

WasM

Yes, tried that option, but the unit turns on regardless. Could it be a Windows 11 compatibility issue?
Not sure. I'm running Win10, worked first try. Some suggestions to try.
  • Use the original USB cable supplied with the DAC (USB-A to USB-B)
  • Reboot computer, twice
  • Try another USB port. I made sure I connected to a USB2 port and not a USB3 or higher spec port on the computer.
  • From your attempts I trust you are holding the rotary knob down firmly when you turn on the power to the DAC. Just checking that you have loaded the program and files prior to this step. There is no physical indication the DAC is on and successfully in 'developer mode'. Trust you have held the knob down longer than 5 seconds before you let go. If its silently 'ON', when you click on the 'handshake' connect button in the program you should see 'Connected' update.
  • Did you cross your fingers, kiss the unit and throw some holy water around? j/k

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
  • Reboot computer, twice
  • Try another USB port. I made sure I connected to a USB2 port and not a USB3 or higher spec port on the computer.
  • From your attempts I trust you are holding the rotary knob down firmly when you turn on the power to the DAC. Just checking that you have loaded the program and files prior to this step. There is no physical indication the DAC is on and successfully in 'developer mode'. Trust you have held the knob down longer than 5 seconds before you let go. If its silently 'ON', when you click on the 'handshake' connect button in the program you should see 'Connected' update.
  • Did you cross your fingers, kiss the unit and throw some holy water around? j/k
I'm running Win 11 from a laptop. Apart from double rebooting the LT, have carried out your suggestions with no success. I have an old Win 10 computer so, I'll try to upload with that one although it means completely disconnecting the unit. Might be worth a go. Thanks for your help chap.

DRuszaT

• Reboot computer, twice
Thanks a thousand! I was missing clicking on the "handshake" button, which the firmware update description doesn't say to click on it... By the way, does anyone know how to make sure what firmware is on the device?

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
Thanks a thousand! I was missing clicking on the "handshake" button, which the firmware update description doesn't say to click on it... By the way, does anyone know how to make sure what firmware is on the device?
Hi, can you confirm if you have to disconnect the power supply then reconnect it with the control knob depresses to get into developer mode? I’ve had the unit on standby, depressed the control knob while depressing the start button in the software window.

DRuszaT

Hi, can you confirm if you have to disconnect the power supply then reconnect it with the control knob depresses to get into developer mode? I’ve had the unit on standby, depressed the control knob while depressing the start button in the software window.
Yes. You press the big dial button, then plug in the power. Nothing is displayed, no picture or sound. But if you click on the Handshake icon in the program, it immediately says "Connected" at the bottom. You can then release the dial button.

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
Yes. You press the big dial button, then plug in the power. Nothing is displayed, no picture or sound. But if you click on the Handshake icon in the program, it immediately says "Connected" at the bottom. You can then release the dial button.
Right! I think we are getting there. I’ll take it upon myself to write some clearer instructions for everyone if this works. However, I’ve only got two hands, I’ll have to tape the control knob down, switch the power source on while holding down the mouse button! That surely cannot be sensible?

DRuszaT

Right! I think we are getting there. I’ll take it upon myself to write some clearer instructions for everyone if this works. However, I’ve only got two hands, I’ll have to tape the control knob down, switch the power source on while holding down the mouse button! That surely cannot be sensible?
Yes, basically you would need three hands for the operation, maybe those who can paint with their feet are preferred... :D The person who came up with this firmware update method was completely insane... The fact that there is no indication on the SU-10 screen that it is in service mode is totally unacceptable.

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
Yes, basically you would need three hands for the operation, maybe those who can paint with their feet are preferred... :D The person who came up with this firmware update method was completely insane...
Well, let’s give them the benefit of doubt. He might have contributed handsomely to the architecture and got fed up at the end! Ok chap. Thank you very much for the assistance. I shall update on my progress shortly.

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
Yes, basically you would need three hands for the operation, maybe those who can paint with their feet are preferred... :D The person who came up with this firmware update method was completely insane... The fact that there is no indication on the SU-10 screen that it is in service mode is totally unacceptable.
Hello, worked! thanks for your help.

dlelikov

I found some unpleasant bugs with SU-10 when playing MQA over usb from android or windows devices. Last firmware 1.02.
1. When using the native Tidal android application of the latest current version 2.72.0, sound distortion is clearly audible on some mqa files with a frequency of 44.1 kHz. I tried to play from three different sources (phone, tablet, ibasso dx 300). An example of a file where distortions on drums are heard from the very beginning: https://tidal.com/browse/track/49154609

2. When using the UAPP player on android device, or native Tidal app on Win 10 in direct mode, when playing any MQA file with a frequency of 88.2 (96, 192) kHz 24-bit, there is a constant noise that is audible if you pause the playback (on hi volume). The noise disappears when the SU-10 is rebooted or when mqa-file with a frequency of 44.1 kHz is being played.
https://tidal.com/browse/track/134890385

What could be the problem?

Top Bottom